Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the best one? It sounds like it'll be the Skat Trak 26x12.50x12 9 paddle or the STU staggered and cut (lightened) Blaster. I've read that the blaster is a great all around tire. You can stop in the middle of a hill, and then start up again without a problem. But it's a little slower then the Skat. Again, I've only read about these tires, and I need more info before ordering. The Skat is about $175, and I think the Blasters are about $300 apiece!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
what kinda performance are you looking for Drag racing your buddies ,fast dune rides and fast open dune streches.
Im thinking for a fast all around tire a 26 Skat with 7 blades. never mind all of the people saying 9 paddles or the STU. I really believe a good all out fast dune tires gonna be around 7 or 8 blades. Im sure this will stir the Pot. LOL

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
841 Posts
If you want a good all around tire the blasters is the tire for you. But if you want the fastest tire for the Torque monster rotax motor you really want a 26x12x12 8 paddle tire. The 8 paddle with smoothies and 4x4 gets you out the hole fast enough without slowing you down on top. If you can find a large diameter 26 tire because not all are the same.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what kinda performance are you looking for Drag racing your buddies ,fast dune rides and fast open dune streches.
Im thinking for a fast all around tire a 26 Skat with 7 blades. never mind all of the people saying 9 paddles or the STU. I really believe a good all out fast dune tires gonna be around 7 or 8 blades. Im sure this will stir the Pot. LOL
I'm looking for fast dune rides. I'm 99% sure that this thing has too much power for a 7 blade. Sounds like 8 blade for a hill shooter should be the ticket. But again, I have no experience with any of them. Also, I do not like the price of the Blasters, so I guess I'm really wondering if I will be happy with the Skat's?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I'm looking for fast dune rides. I'm 99% sure that this thing has too much power for a 7 blade. Sounds like 8 blade for a hill shooter should be the ticket. But again, I have no experience with any of them. Also, I do not like the price of the Blasters, so I guess I'm really wondering if I will be happy with the Skat's?
Believe me when I say people are oversold on the amount of paddles needed. we have a few Turbo Rotax cars putting down to the Ground 120hp. and we run 8 paddles and Im gonna try some 9s for shits and Giggles, Power hehhehe 101 hp at the crank - 25% loss thru drive line at the Min. so maybe they will make 75hp to the ground. I really think the 7 Blade Skats will be the fastest out on the dunes. 9 paddles might pull hard for a little on the start but the 7 blade will walk away from the 9. Less resistance and Energy required to throw sand from a 7 Blade Vs 9 blade. plus you should run a Rough Buff front.(smooth kinda).

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I run 8 paddle scat's on my built 880 Teryx and they work great. I think also UTV Johnny was running 9 paddles and still hit 75mph.
I think you'll be fine with an 8 or 9.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
This is something that will still need to be figured out as I think its too early to tell. Everyone that I know of and heard from absolutley love their STU's. But like you its hard to swollow the cost, especially when we hit the dunes maybe 50% of our rides and usually hit the desert trails a few times when we go to the dunes. It seems to me after driving a Maverick that the rear seems to break traction pretty easy so a 7 paddle set-up or even a 8 paddle might not be enough.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
This is something that will still need to be figured out as I think its too early to tell. Everyone that I know of and heard from absolutley love their STU's. But like you its hard to swollow the cost, especially when we hit the dunes maybe 50% of our rides and usually hit the desert trails a few times when we go to the dunes. It seems to me after driving a Maverick that the rear seems to break traction pretty easy so a 7 paddle set-up or even a 8 paddle might not be enough.
How many of you have a 120hp to the ground, mmmmmmmmm none of ya, so you dont need 9 paddles. My Turbo Rotax makes double the power of your cars and I run 8 Paddles and thats plenty. I have been duning over 25 years and more paddle is not needed as I have been trying lots of combos and have had this debate over and over with the right people who really Know there shit.

If its a 2wd car you need more paddles. But we are running in 4wd usually. so dont get all sold out on needing a 9 paddle. Im done preachin it. :disappointed:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I got an all but brand new set of Blasters and ribbed fronts I'm selling for $800 including shipping.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
With all of the Horse Power and wheel spin you Might have maybe some of these will work,LOL.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I think a 8 will be fine maybe a 9, the 9 is probably a little to aggresive for the mid and top end where you dont need the resistance of the extra paddle. On the XP900 4 seaters we put some of the new 26x12 x12.5 trexster skats and they lost a little against are skinny 26 x12 skats on the mid top run against our other XP900 4 Seater but the Big Trexster Skat looks Bad Ass.
heres a Trexster before buffing kinda a cool slick.

26x12x12.5 trekster. XP900 4 seater with 7 blade Skat. he loves it

1 - 20 of 51 Posts