Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 1647 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,621
Other issue is we have / get to ride multiple dunes as some of us north guys dune year round.

Glamis, Dumont, Winnemucca, sand mnt nev and St Anthony so far in last 1-year for me. Hopefully sand mnt Utah for Halloween, so we would need a trailer just for tires if we had the best set for each place .

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
IMO 1300s are just more available

·
Registered
20 Posts
From the people I've been talking to the past few days said the 1300 work better than the blackbirds. I've found a few pairs of blackbirds but I can't find any 1300 to buy.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
1300s are wider than blackbirds
and 13plus is almost as tall but wider with smaller paddles

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Other issue is we have / get to ride multiple dunes as some of us north guys dune year round.

Glamis, Dumont, Winnemucca, sand mnt nev and St Anthony so far in last 1-year for me. Hopefully sand mnt Utah for Halloween, so we would need a trailer just for tires if we had the best set for each place .
Not sure who here is into boats but props are kinda similar to paddles. You can over prop your boat and it's a slug. Or you can make it hole shot like crazy by under propping. So a happy medium is usually desired depending on what your doing that trip or day also. So when we go up to lake powell and that's higher elevation and usually have more gear on the boat for that trip you need to run less pitch props. Or say we hit the ocean we can go up some in pitch for sea-level running and salt water is also more buoyant so the boats perform better to.
So yes you can use different amounts of blades for diff conditions for sure. But whatever the conditions maybe you still want the lightest set up you can get for the best performance of your car. Common sense really.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
11" wide work fine and stay on the rim good for 1300s and blackbirds
12-13" are common for 1300+

·
Registered
268 Posts
I’ve been happy with my Xtreme skats so far. Gotten about 3 years out of them and have run Oregon, Dumont, and Sand Mountain Nv. There really lightweight and very thin but they flat out rip.
Granted this is my first pair of paddles on a SxS But I’ve gotten used to how they handle while out in the Sand.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
423 Posts
Are you running these tires together? It looks like a huge difference in diameter.
I am. The 1300 Plus's increase in diameter quite a bit once they are on the wheel and have air in them. 360 fronts are a 101 RO and the 1300 Plus is 99 RO so not real drastic. Most paddle setups come in about 1" difference in RO.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I am. The 1300 Plus's increase in diameter quite a bit once they are on the wheel and have air in them. 360 fronts are a 101 RO and the 1300 Plus is 99 RO so not real drastic. Most paddle setups come in about 1" difference in RO.
Sounds good.
What is the industry standard method for measuring "roll out"?
Just my opinion, but when it comes to sand tires, I measure carcass diameter, not paddle circumference.
Others may or may not agree with this.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Sounds good.
What is the industry standard method for measuring "roll out"?
Just my opinion, but when it comes to sand tires, I measure carcass diameter, not paddle circumference.
Others may or may not agree with this.
Skat Trak has always measured the Roll out at 15psi on the carcass after being Buffed down right before its deflated to come off the buffer wheel.

Reactions: Scott F

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
RO is way more accurate representation of tire size than a diameter spec.
It's the true size. Fullerton sand sports loved to leave the manufacturer spec size on so when the customer called and asked for a 32" sand tire they got a 32" sand tire lol. But when that customer pulled up next to an Xtreme Tire 32 it would look stupid small and customer would be pissed off and call back to Fullerton and they would fall back on the tire spec on sidewall as there way out, after knowing they screwed the customer. Pretty sad trick.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Sandcraft marks the tires with the rollout measurement. Mine had 101 written on them, which is just over 32".

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
RO is way more accurate representation of tire size than a diameter spec.
Agreed. Spec and "I measure carcass diameter" are two different things.
Assuming a round tire, measuring diameter and circumference are equally accurate.

Pi x dia = circumference
3.14159 x 32 = 100.5" circumference (RO)

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Sandcraft marks the tires with the rollout measurement. Mine had 101 written on them, which is just over 32".
Skat measures them. When they buff them and they write the RO on sidewall. And sometimes inside the tire.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Agreed. Spec and "I measure carcass diameter" are two different things.
Assuming a round tire, measuring diameter and circumference are equally accurate.

Pi x dia = circumference
3.14159 x 32 = 100.5" circumference (RO)
Im not referring to the math equations. Im referring to tire manufacturer diameter specs. They are all over the f’n place. With skats they physically measure the RO of each carcas. There is no cheating. You know what your getting when it shows up on the doorstep

1621 - 1640 of 1647 Posts