Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1647 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
For glamis i love my 30 inch 8 paddles xtremes on cms. Did i notice much of a difference duning compared to my doonz paddles no, but drag racing. Whenever i drag race first thing i do is look at their paddles. If they arent skats good chance ill win with only 110hp. I pulled up to a few turbo yxzs they looked at me funny. They said go. One jumped out on me i ran him down another never caught me in my short bus

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
What was your wheel speed and rpm at the top of choke?
I know, here we go again!!!

So I was at st Anthony for 9 days last week, rained almost entire time again. I had (2) full sets of tires. 30/11/14 10 paddle extremes and Tom's (TIK in forum, he runs them on his X3 DS) full set 28" #2 STU paddles with 3 rib fronts

Extremes: throw sand like crazy, lots of wheel speed, the fronts even buffed do help in 4wd, very fast on top end, decent stability when dunning at high speed, 7" rims all corners, running 9 psi = conclusion, not enough tire for tuned machines, would be perfect on stock machine though

STU 28" #2 : more paddles helped launch harder, not throwing as much sand, more stable while dunning due to being wider, 4wd didn't seem much different, turned better, slower on top end, being shorter was noticeable as that extra ground clearance is needed when coming into dips fast not wanting to plow front end carrying momentum, 8 wide rims front, 10" rear, overall weight was close on fronts, rears were few lbs heavier each, running 9psi = conclusion, molded are less fragile in lave / rocky area, would prefer these in 30" if I was to buy, they dune better when running high speed due to width, would even consider a #1 paddle maybe?

If it's any hint of wet sand, stock 30" tires aired down do better then any paddle, I saw stock machines doing very well while it was slightly wet, as things dried out paddles had advantage

So now I am going to buy a set of 31.5" or 30"stagger rippers and run them on 8" front and back I think, there goes another $2k

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What was your wheel speed and rpm at the top of choke?
rpms in 4wd were lower then I want, around 7200 in 4wd, 7650 in 2wd, was at about 44mph topping the hill.

3 weeks before when it was wetter and more compacted, 55mph at top around same rpm

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
We had similar rpm results during our trip on drier sand. They definitely need some tuning help to get the rpms up to 8100.
rpms in 4wd were lower then I want, around 7200 in 4wd, 7650 in 2wd, was at about 44mph topping the hill.

3 weeks before when it was wetter and more compacted, 55mph at top around same rpm

·
Registered
342 Posts
Narrow wheels work great so if if you have a 6" wheel then run it. Even the Guys over at UTV Inc like the narrow 7" wheels.
If you feel like your gonna need more paddle for your riding area for sure paddle up. You have countless ways to build the Skats where as with a Molded tire you only have about 5 ways to mod them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Warlock what makes a narrow wheel good to run? Seems so counter intuitive - makes the contact patch narrower, takes away flotation...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Warlock what makes a narrow wheel good to run? Seems so counter intuitive - makes the contact patch narrower, takes away flotation...
Preference for me to keep the car narrow, that's why I run a 12pdl staggered's to compensate for off the line acceleration. The added sidewall makes for a smoother ride too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Guys.. i am on a budget.. about 1200 max to spend on paddles and wheels. would like some opinions. i have a pwrtune stage 1 tune. i am looking at a package of CST sandblast 30x12x14 rear, 30x10x14 front. Mounted on STI HD5 machine beadlock 14x9 rear, 14x7 front. Also, not sure what offset to run, if any. Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
14x14 Skats Extreme on a 10 inch Douglas Ultimate, no bead lock, just a bit over 30 tall with 12 paddles.
Very good out of the hole, felt really good at low and high speeds, weighs in at just over 30 pounds which is the same weight as the stock tire before you add a rim.
Started at ten pounds, ended up at 9 for the rest of the weekend.
The offset put me at 79 wide.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Imagine the floatation of say a beach ball as it is rounded like what a narrow rim will cause so the tire can flex and bulge instead of stretched out on a wide wheel.
How do you think those low riders ride with them stupid wide rims with the Bead stretched out and stiff as hell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: oneshotkyle

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Guys.. i am on a budget.. about 1200 max to spend on paddles and wheels. would like some opinions. i have a pwrtune stage 1 tune. i am looking at a package of CST sandblast 30x12x14 rear, 30x10x14 front. Mounted on STI HD5 machine beadlock 14x9 rear, 14x7 front. Also, not sure what offset to run, if any. Any comments appreciated. Thanks!
I like mine, they have a nice drifting ability. I run 5+5 rear wheels and 5+4 front wheels IMG_0359.JPG

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
It's a good set up. My buddy runs them on his YXZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dunerxds

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I know this isn't the classifieds, but I may be selling my 30x13x14 Warlock tires 12pdl stag extremes on cms wheels. Just a thinking out loud.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are there any dunes in Canada? Or do you ride at St. Anthonys?
There are the Brule Dunes on the Athebasca River in Western Alberta, about 6 hours away from me.
you can Youtube to see what they are all about.
St Anthony is 11 hours door step to door step.
I met a guy from 23 hours away so I consider myself fortunate.
Plus I like how nice everyone I've met at St Anthony.
My new turbo will be replaced on Tuesday and then its 59 more days till we get back there.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
There are the Brule Dunes on the Athebasca River in Western Alberta, about 6 hours away from me.
you can Youtube to see what they are all about.
St Anthony is 11 hours door step to door step.
I met a guy from 23 hours away so I consider myself fortunate.
Plus I like how nice everyone I've met at St Anthony.
My new turbo will be replaced on Tuesday and then its 59 more days till we get back there.
23 hours is nothing, LOL. So far in Glamis, I've met people from England, Germany, Italy, and wait for it...... Australia! And it was a group of about 10 - 15 of them. Met them at Olds.

Reactions: maxdun
21 - 40 of 1647 Posts