Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1505 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, here we go again!!!

So I was at st Anthony for 9 days last week, rained almost entire time again. I had (2) full sets of tires. 30/11/14 10 paddle extremes and Tom's (TIK in forum, he runs them on his X3 DS) full set 28" #2 STU paddles with 3 rib fronts

Extremes: throw sand like crazy, lots of wheel speed, the fronts even buffed do help in 4wd, very fast on top end, decent stability when dunning at high speed, 7" rims all corners, running 9 psi = conclusion, not enough tire for tuned machines, would be perfect on stock machine though

STU 28" #2 : more paddles helped launch harder, not throwing as much sand, more stable while dunning due to being wider, 4wd didn't seem much different, turned better, slower on top end, being shorter was noticeable as that extra ground clearance is needed when coming into dips fast not wanting to plow front end carrying momentum, 8 wide rims front, 10" rear, overall weight was close on fronts, rears were few lbs heavier each, running 9psi = conclusion, molded are less fragile in lave / rocky area, would prefer these in 30" if I was to buy, they dune better when running high speed due to width, would even consider a #1 paddle maybe?

If it's any hint of wet sand, stock 30" tires aired down do better then any paddle, I saw stock machines doing very well while it was slightly wet, as things dried out paddles had advantage

So now I am going to buy a set of 31.5" or 30"stagger rippers and run them on 8" front and back I think, there goes another $2k

Matt

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

So I was at st Anthony for 9 days last week, rained almost entire time again. I had (2) full sets of tires. 30/11/14 10 paddle extremes and Tom's (TIK in forum, he runs them on his X3 DS) full set 28" #2 STU paddles with 3 rib fronts

Extremes: throw sand like crazy, lots of wheel speed, the fronts even buffed do help in 4wd, very fast on top end, decent stability when dunning at high speed, 7" rims all corners, running 9 psi = conclusion, not enough tire for tuned machines, would be perfect on stock machine though

STU 28" #2 : more paddles helped launch harder, not throwing as much sand, more stable while dunning due to being wider, 4wd didn't seem much different, turned better, slower on top end, being shorter was noticeable as that extra ground clearance is needed when coming into dips fast not wanting to plow front end carrying momentum, 8 wide rims front, 10" rear, overall weight was close on fronts, rears were few lbs heavier each, running 9psi = conclusion, molded are less fragile in lave / rocky area, would prefer these in 30" if I was to buy, they dune better when running high speed due to width, would even consider a #1 paddle maybe?

If it's any hint of wet sand, stock 30" tires aired down do better then any paddle, I saw stock machines doing very well while it was slightly wet, as things dried out paddles had advantage

So now I am going to buy a set of 31.5" or 30"stagger rippers and run them on 8" front and back I think, there goes another $2k

Matt
Great comparison. I'm on board with all you said. I have 12pdl stag extremes and I'm wanting 12 or 14 stag rippers. These cars need some paddle for sure

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
So is your conclusion the the STU are the best all around dune set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
So is your conclusion the the STU are the best all around dune set up?

Oh no, LOL!

I really would like to try a set of STUs, they work well on my Wildcat. I just don't want to spend $2K with wheels, to find I made an expensive mistake.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say skat 30/11/14 are for stock machines only

If you do stu's get 30" and may do better with #1 comp cut full paddle?

I wish my skats were the 13 wide as I might be ok with them with my tune and where I ride

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
our group of X3 cars love the Skats aired up to 14 & 16 psi and that keeps the tires from flex and you can drive it into the hard turns like it's on rails. They all tried running them at 10psi and hated it. Most people won't push there cars as hard into the turns and might not ever get it. Kinda like a motorcycle in the Dunes the narrow tire being aired up just sticks it in the hard turns.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am far from an expert on sand tires but I had 9 paddle extremes and could not get out of the hole worth a damn with the sand we have at Little Sahara OK. Went to 14 paddle staggered rippers and 100% improvement, much, much better out of the hole and still duned very similar.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
our group of X3 cars love the Skats aired up to 14 & 16 psi and that keeps the tires from flex and you can drive it into the hard turns like it's on rails. They all tried running them at 10psi and hated it. Most people won't push there cars as hard into the turns and might not ever get it. Kinda like a motorcycle in the Dunes the narrow tire being aired up just sticks it in the hard turns.

Nice to know now, LOL! I thought the sweet spot for Skat was 10 psi? So if I find dry sand this year, 14 - 16 psi???

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Nice to know now, LOL! I thought the sweet spot for Skat was 10 psi? So if I find dry sand this year, 14 - 16 psi???
8 and 9 paddle were the paddles of choice once upon a time to. Not sure Warlock buddies have ever left glamis. My 12 stag extremes are still not enough with 4ri. Great tire but lack off the line holeshot. He's a great salesman but lacks anything but his home turf for knowledge

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is no dry sand in 2017 yet, I have 17 dune days this year on (3) trips, no dry sand as its either been snowing, raining, thunderstorms or wet just under top few inches

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

8 and 9 paddle were the paddles of choice once upon a time to. Not sure Warlock buddies have ever left glamis. My 12 stag extremes are still not enough with 4ri. Great tire but lack off the line holeshot. He's a great salesman but lacks anything but his home turf for knowledge

·
Registered
8,672 Posts

Matt
You should try the 32" skat set up that Fullerton has been running or the STU Blackbirds

·
Registered
5,575 Posts

Glamis is fast and big not a lot of stop and go stuff so we run the least amount of paddles needed. We don't believe in running more blades than needed. Everyone always thinks there car is so powerful that they need lots of blades which is not the case unless your main style of riding is slower and lots of stop and go stuff where your operating off the bottom end all the time. Or your into shorter drag racing situations. The larger 32s that Xtreme is making right now will be big and light weight since they are made specifically for Xtreme tire to be made into a Skat-Trak paddle tire not some heavy Dirt tire buffed down to the cords for Skat to put paddles on it.
People really need to think about how they drive and dune before ordering stuff.
If a guy likes a lot of paddles then order a bunch of them. We like the least amount that's our choice for Glamis and the way we drive. You can have as many paddles installed as you want and if you don't like it see if Skat will remove blades and do less paddle if you go to far.
I've owned more different Skats than anyone and have tried some different setups and I think I have a pretty good grip on what works. And most people have owned 2 sets in there lifetime and believe they have it all figured out. And most people have it in there head that it's sand and wow you need a fat tire cause sand is soft and with out a wide fat tire you will sink in Lol.
The first of the season in Glamis its dry and soft so spinning is the norm. Then as it gets some moisture and lots of duner traffic it's Frickin packed down pretty hard every where but out by China wall which is less traveled and stop and go short drops.
So consider where you ride alot of the time and go from there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Glamis is fast and big not a lot of stop and go stuff so we run the least amount of paddles needed. We don't believe in running more blades than needed. Everyone always thinks there car is so powerful that they need lots of blades which is not the case unless your main style of riding is slower and lots of stop and go stuff where your operating off the bottom end all the time. Or your into shorter drag racing situations. The larger 32s that Xtreme is making right now will be big and light weight since they are made specifically for Xtreme tire to be made into a Skat-Trak paddle tire not some heavy Dirt tire buffed down to the cords for Skat to put paddles on it.
People really need to think about how they drive and dune before ordering stuff.
If a guy likes a lot of paddles then order a bunch of them. We like the least amount that's our choice for Glamis and the way we drive. You can have as many paddles installed as you want and if you don't like it see if Skat will remove blades and do less paddle if you go to far.
I've owned more different Skats than anyone and have tried some different setups and I think I have a pretty good grip on what works. And most people have owned 2 sets in there lifetime and believe they have it all figured out. And most people have it in there head that it's sand and wow you need a fat tire cause sand is soft and with out a wide fat tire you will sink in Lol.
The first of the season in Glamis its dry and soft so spinning is the norm. Then as it gets some moisture and lots of duner traffic it's Frickin packed down pretty hard every where but out by China wall which is less traveled and stop and go short drops.
So consider where you ride alot of the time and go from there.

Well said!!��

·
Registered
5,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Warlock I have run skats for nearly 30yrs and have them on all my atv's, sxs and now even dirtbikes. My whole point is everywhere I've duned, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, and California. 1 tire doesn't fit the bill for all the different styles of sand and riding areas and styles. I feel extremely underpaddeled in the NW compared to being down south. I'll probly be stepping up to try these larger 31.5 carcasses this year along with the larger ripper paddle. Curios as if you've ever ran these skats on a 6" wide wheel and your experiences. The cms wheels are great but to wide on my xrs were I go.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Warlock I have run skats for nearly 30yrs and have them on all my atv's, sxs and now even dirtbikes. My whole point is everywhere I've duned, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, and California. 1 tire doesn't fit the bill for all the different styles of sand and riding areas and styles. I feel extremely underpaddeled in the NW compared to being down south. I'll probly be stepping up to try these larger 31.5 carcasses this year along with the larger ripper paddle. Curios as if you've ever ran these skats on a 6" wide wheel and your experiences. The cms wheels are great but to wide on my xrs were I go.

Narrow wheels work great so if if you have a 6" wheel then run it. Even the Guys over at UTV Inc like the narrow 7" wheels.
If you feel like your gonna need more paddle for your riding area for sure paddle up. You have countless ways to build the Skats where as with a Molded tire you only have about 5 ways to mod them.

1 - 20 of 1505 Posts