Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 21 base x3 with Whalen WS230 that’s cutting out on e85 till it’s ran a mile or so and cleans up but from a low speed pull it will drop some boost and throws cel p006d. Light will go off after letting off pedal. When rolling about 40+ then wot it doesn’t seem to do it. Tried race gas and does the same. I’ve lowered crack pressure and leak tested, fixed leak but no luck. Whalen sent me a different e85 tune tweaked a smidge but no luck.
I ordered there 3 bar map sensors and no more cel but still cutting out bad on e85. Tried VP X85 with same results, also some back fire on decel but maybe that’s normal with e85 not sure. 400 miles on machine and maybe 10 on the big injectors, Brisk plugs, AEM fuel pump, WB belt, and KWI AO Green kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add it doesn’t cut out on race gas just drops boost usually between 60-80mph and throws cel p006d from low speed wot. Seems like the lower the speed at wot the quicker the boost drops and light comes on. When it drops it just feels like I’m letting off the pedal a little. Ran perfect on the ws170 tune, no issues at all. Now I’m wishing I would have just left it alone.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Have a 21 base x3 with Whalen WS230 that’s cutting out on e85 till it’s ran a mile or so and cleans up but from a low speed pull it will drop some boost and throws cel p006d. Light will go off after letting off pedal. When rolling about 40+ then wot it doesn’t seem to do it. Tried race gas and does the same. I’ve lowered crack pressure and leak tested, fixed leak but no luck. Whalen sent me a different e85 tune tweaked a smidge but no luck.
I ordered there 3 bar map sensors and no more cel but still cutting out bad on e85. Tried VP X85 with same results, also some back fire on decel but maybe that’s normal with e85 not sure. 400 miles on machine and maybe 10 on the big injectors, Brisk plugs, AEM fuel pump, WB belt, and KWI AO Green kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You still have a boost leak. How did you check for leaks?

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
Put a tester on the turbo set to tdc & put 20-21 psi pressure sprayed everything with soapy water.
I'm not sure soapy water is the best tool. You may want to try a fogger. How fast is cold side pressure dropping when you pressure tested it? Are you running an OEM intercooler and did you check the end tanks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I pump out the tank, pull line and cycle the pump, push up on drivers side to run the little bit out of the rail. Ran it today on race gas and now it’s cutting out on race gas. Tried another set of stock map sensors and no more cel but cuts out on race gas till I run it up and down the road and will clear up and run good. Let it set for a bit and go again and just cuts out again.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
A vehicle needs to be flex fuel approved. Vehicles for flex fuel have different materials used in fuel system. Ethanol draws moisture. Eventually everything will corrode
Okay so just repeating what you hear.

I heard the SAME thing 12 years ago when I switched to E85 on my sand car.

I've replaced the fuel lines once...just last year so they were already from 08 and I bet I would have had to replace them whether I ran E85 or race fuel. They were cracked on the outside.

Never draining the system EVER and they lasted 14 years, 12 of which was strictly E85.

The old wives tale that you need to switch your fuel system does not really apply to most vehicles as they are already using material that works fine with ethanol. The reason being MOST fuels contain ethanol now!!

I have had to have my injectors cleaned more with the E85 ( every other year) and changed the fuel filters every year as it will get a greenish sludge. But other than that, no catastrophic damaged like the nay sayers told me when I switched 12 years ago.

I am not just repeating what my buddies friends neighbors gardeners distant cousin who's a certified master mechanic working at jiffy lube told me. I have been using it for 12 years now.

I still get the "you have to drain it when you store it" line to this day and while that's a good idea for any vehicle I never have.

Here is a video from project farm. In it he concludes that Lucas ethanol additive does very little and I use that religiously, I will continue to do so as I've been happy with my routine in regard to damage.

He also shows that moisture is the real culprit combined with ethanol and likley the climate here in Arizona helps with that.
So watch the video and it's really when moisture gets in and it's stored that way that CAN be an issue.

Most of us run ethanol in most of our machines to some extent.

Tim

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Motor vehicle Gas Metal Nut Machine

Sure hell on carbureted engines, especially out here in moisture ridden Oregon where the almost daily 40 degree rain still hasn't stopped this year.
None of my machines run anything other than clear. If they sit, this is what happens.
Not sure what parts on the X3 but I do know many who run E85
I know when we ran methanol in drag machines years ago we would run some clear through before shutdown.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Well you dont let a car SIT with E85 in it, especially in areas with high humidity (the coast). If you understand the limitations of E85 and the do's and dont's, there is no issue with running it.

If your a "rode hard and put away wet" kind of guy, E85 is not for you.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
That's been happening to carburetors long before E85 was introduced.

Water is the real culprit in straight gas or E85.

The fact E85 is hygroscopic makes it more susceptible.

The other big issue is that carburetors are not sealed and air which is where the water comes from.

The main system in a fuel injected fuel system is sealed after the pump.

The tank and pre pump are more susceptible but just running the car is fine, it is long term storage that CAN be an issue.

I suspect higher humidity climates are more likely to have water get in the fuel.

Bottom line is just running E85 is not an issue, water in the fuel is the issue when stored.

Tim

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
1,228 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that if you ask if XYZ will work there will always be someone with an anecdote that XYZ is incompatible/horrible/detrimental.

"Flex Fuel" vehicles have Flex sensors so they can run high percentage ethanol fuel such as E85 AND gasoline. All modern vehicles have fuel systems that won't corrode from alcohol like happened with vehicles from ye oldie times prior to E10. Vehicles that can run E10 aren't considered "Flex Fuel" despite their fuel systems being ethanol compatible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts