Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay y'all,
Ive got a 2015 Maverick XRS DPS with about 130 hours and not sure about miles. I mud ride and deep water ride here in Texas with some gnarly conditions.

I'm having an overheating issue and I'm not sure where to start. I started the bike up and drove about a half mile from camp to the vendor area and pulled up next to a buddy who informed me something was leaking. I got underneath it and found it was the coolant. I pulled the hood off and I was bubbling over at the reservoir. I wasn't overheating and was at about 6 bars on the temp gauge. I took it to the buggy wash to rinse out the radiator figuring that was my issue. Washed the radiator out, pulled the radiator cap off and made sure it was full (basically all coolant had been lost by now and was mostly water now). Filled the reservoir bottle up about half way and went on my way. I figured that would fix it and everything would be fine. I was wrong. I messed with it awhile since I couldn't ride with my friends. Eventually I got the motor hot where it kicks the fan on and had it cycle 3 times and knew I was good if it came on and kicked off 3 different times. Went riding and about an hour later my problem came back. This cycle continued all weekend. I had this problem 2 rides ago, filled the radiator with water, purged the lines, washed out the radiator and was fine for the rest of that trip. Next trip to the river, I gave it hell, and not one problem. The river wasn't high enough to get to the radiator so that wasn't keeping it cool. Then this ride which I just explained. So my question is, what do I need to replace? Is the radiator bad? thermostat? Is it because i didn't have coolant in the system and only water? please Lord, not a head gasket? All of the above?

P.s. I know I should have purged the lines after filling the radiator at the buggy wash. Its just weird how I could keep it staying cool for an hour or two, sometimes longer then go back to overheating. I watched the temp gauge and if it stayed under 5 bars, I was fine and I knew the fan was still cooling, if it hit a 6th, I better turn around and hope I make it to the buggy was once again before limp mode. Yes, fan is working correctly as well. I'm thinking I should start with replacing the radiator and fresh antifreeze, next would be fan override, and thermostat delete?

p.s.s. New member, sorry for the long post:big smile: IMG_5444.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
When mud gets caked in the rad,it turns almost like concrete only way to really wash it out is remove it or the front grill and spend lots of time with the pressure washer.be carefull not to bend over the rad fins.we all moved our rads to the rear roll cage and never had a problem since.when we go swamping for a day or weekend we wont let any stock machines join our ride because its a guaranteed ride killer and towing them back to camp.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Commander after the "Y" fitting for the coolant broke and I lost all the coolant. I replaced the radiator cap, but do not think that was the problem because it overheated again. I bled the system as per the manual three times, and still it overheated. Then I bled it one more time as per the instructions but the last time I had the front of the vehicle real high on a berm and I have not had that problem since (over three years ago). Evidently if there is an air bubble in the system, it will overheat.

My two cents worth.

Jerry

Reactions: mymavt

·
Registered
367 Posts
So one thing that often overlooked is the weep hole in front of the water pump. When the water pump starts going bad the seals start to leak and coolant spills from the weep hole. Also if the T-stat is going bad coolant will leak from the same area. Weep hole is on the engine case behind the lower coolant hose. If it is leaking the water pump and seal kit all have to be replaced.

Reactions: MCI

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I would totally drain the system, and fill with new coolant, water isn't going to do it. Agree with the comments about mud. Mud packs in there, and won't let the radiator do it's job. I don't agree with you thinking 6 bars is OK. Anything over 4, and you have heat problems appearing, sooner than later, IMO. I doubt it's a head gasket. You could also look into a fan override switch. The fan would stay on all the time. Lastly, you could look into a new, higher rated radiator cap. It will help stop boil over, but you need to do the coolant first.Welcome too!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hollywood agree with you on the six bars.if I see six its getting shut off for sure,i think his problem is caked rad or air in system,i have done lots of rad relocates and work on all my groups machines(lucky me) and it can really suck trying to get all the air out of the system.spraying it with a garden hose or sitting in the river splashing water on it does nothing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had a problem overheating it acted weird it would be boiling out but the temp gauge was low then the gauge would go up and go into limp mode problem was it wasn’t bled correctly keep your reservoir filled! Next bleed the air out. On top of both heads at the plastic housing are tiny screws to let the air out there’s a certain procedure that involves jacking up the front of the car real high and 1 side of the car really high look up the procedure follow it and do it twice!! Then you should be good. Temp gauge reads coolant temp in motor it won’t read accurate with air so it will say it’s cool but will be bubbling out. If I recall the fans kick on based on radiator temperature which is why it’s acting weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Fill reservoir to the max! Let extra spill out you don’t want it sucking in air while your getting wild. You can try running engine ice I run it in my quad don’t get a fan override switch fans pull a ton of power which can be bad for your battery. If you get a tune you can have them lower the temp it comes on. The computer is better than you for knowing when it needs it when when it doesn’t. Pull the bleed screws jack it up take the time do it right and you will be golden. Just look up maverick coolant system bleeding procedure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts