Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
126 Posts
I would have been throwing some loose snow on the radiator to help cool it down...lol. I've clogged the radiator with mud before but never snow and ice...lol

· Registered
4,849 Posts
I would have been throwing some loose snow on the radiator to help cool it down...lol. I've clogged the radiator with mud before but never snow and ice...lol
Yes snow on the radiator will bring those temps right down. I use to run my diesel truck in the deep snow and it ran so cold the heater would only blow ice cold air.

· Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Yes snow on the radiator will bring those temps right down. I use to run my diesel truck in the deep snow and it ran so cold the heater would only blow ice cold air.
I suspect the thermostat was stuck open. The t stat is designed to allow the engine to heat up to temperature regardless of the outside temp.

Another thing is if the defroster is on the AC compressor cycles on and off.

I'm doing a ride this weekend where we will likley see snow. I'm looking forward to the rode but but not the snow!

Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

· Registered
2021 Sport Max
2,044 Posts
snow is fun driving.. minus the fact it's usually cold lol

• Haha
Reactions: Tmesic

· Registered
4,849 Posts
I suspect the thermostat was stuck open. The t stat is designed to allow the engine to heat up to temperature regardless of the outside temp.

Another thing is if the defroster is on the AC compressor cycles on and off.

I'm doing a ride this weekend where we will likley see snow. I'm looking forward to the rode but but not the snow!

Tim
It was on my 2000 Powerstroke. We were running in 3-4ft of powder with the snow plowing over the hood. Everything had snow on it including the engine thats why the heater would only blow cold air. Having a 6 speed manual transmission tends to keep everything cooler under the truck. Auto would probably help warm things up some.

· Premium Member
9,463 Posts
It was on my 2000 Powerstroke. We were running in 3-4ft of powder with the snow plowing over the hood. Everything had snow on it including the engine thats why the heater would only blow cold air. Having a 6 speed manual transmission tends to keep everything cooler under the truck. Auto would probably help warm things up some.
Keith you're a pretty mechanical guy, that's clear from your build and I've seen it first hand on the trail, but that explanation doesn't make sense mechanically speaking.

The engine will always be warm enough to melt snow on it.

The internal temp to the engine is regulated by the thermostat, not external temps. While thay may help lower coolant temps the coolant temp is still not going to be ice cold especially in a diesel.

A diesel uses internal pressure and thereby heat at the cylinder to ignite the fuel. Clearly very high cylinder pressure and temperatures.

EGT's on a diesel are typically 1500 and above. The cylinder temperatures are over 1000 degrees to ignite the fuel properly.

Pretty warm and without them the diesel doesn't ignite.

Just saying. The T stat is the most likley culprit not snow on the engine. Just saying.

Tim

· Registered
2020 X3 X rs Turbo RR
446 Posts
I know nothing about diesels (never owned one), but I do know that during cold weather I see plenty of them running down the highway with a cover over the front grille in an effort to keep the engine temps warm.

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

· Registered
2021 Sport Max
2,044 Posts
I know nothing about diesels (never owned one), but I do know that during cold weather I see plenty of them running down the highway with a cover over the front grille in an effort to keep the engine temps warm.
that's because they don't like cold weather/air.. they run WAY better when it's warm outside

Reactions: HPnMORE4J
1 - 20 of 34 Posts