Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving the Maverick last weekend, and we had stopped to help a friend with his XP, and after a few minutes of idling the Mav started puking coolant. I immediately turned it off, waited a few seconds, then restarted to verify the fan was working and to see if there were any lights/messages. The fan came on right away, and no lights or messages so I turned it back off for the time being. Any thoughts as to what caused this? It's completely stock right now. We had been through some mud/water earlier, but nothing deep. I'm going to add a temp gauge to monitor this, but I'd like to resolve any issues before I start the mods.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
I'm not 100% if this applies to the Maverick but a lot of the UTVs I've messed with can't move enough coolant at idle. BUT, on a bone stock machine it should not do that. I would raise the front of it, take the cap off(while its cold) and start it and see if any air comes out of the system. Its possible they didn't get all of the air out.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It may have puked due to the coolant cap needing sealed. Probably couldn't hold the pressure. Did you get a overheat message?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may have puked due to the coolant cap needing sealed. Probably couldn't hold the pressure. Did you get a overheat message?
No Messages when I turned it back on. I was in a hurry to turn it off, so didn't get to see if any messages as it was happening. I figured any messages would have still displayed when I turned it back on though.

I'm not 100% if this applies to the Maverick but a lot of the UTVs I've messed with can't move enough coolant at idle. BUT, on a bone stock machine it should not do that. I would raise the front of it, take the cap off(while its cold) and start it and see if any air comes out of the system. Its possible they didn't get all of the air out.
When I had my XP, one of pre-ride checks was to verify the fan would come on and the temp would lower. This is one of the reasons I'm adding a temp gauge, this way I can have a clue for the operating temps, and fan settings. I will try your suggestion though this weekend and see if there is any air in the system. Depending on what I see with the gauge, I might add a hayden fan controller to help with the temps. But, I'd like to verify I don't have any problem before I take some preventative measures.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Temp warning goes off when it cools off. I blew a fan fuse on my commander 40mi from my truck, would ride it till warning came on, shut it down, drink a beer, then repeat. Light goes off when it cools.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Temp warning goes off when it cools off. I blew a fan fuse on my commander 40mi from my truck, would ride it till warning came on, shut it down, drink a beer, then repeat. Light goes off when it cools.
That's what I would expect. AReed might be right on the money with air in the system. I've just personally never witnessed that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not saying this is wrong with yours Joey, but this was in my rad. and cooling system. mine overheated first time out,so i moved it up in the back cage. when i dumped rad out , this came out of it. For some reason the anti-freeze had some kind of reaction. the can am rep told my dealer that this happend in a couple of the test maverick's. I move all my radiator's up cause of mud anyway. but still i was'nt happy about this shit in my 20k ride. So i did'nt use stock rad, I got a universal car rad and flushed the system with a hayden fan mod and now no problems at all with temp running hot. It also had straight anti freeze in it ,not 50/50 mix. I agree with A Reed , it's probably just a air pocket . Just had to vent a little about this stuped shit in my radiator. Any way good luck with your's. commando pics 162.jpg commando pics 163.jpg commando pics 166.jpg commando pics 177.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not saying this is wrong with yours Joey, but this was in my rad. and cooling system. mine overheated first time out,so i moved it up in the back cage. when i dumped rad out , this came out of it. For some reason the anti-freeze had some kind of reaction. the can am rep told my dealer that this happend in a couple of the test maverick's. I move all my radiator's up cause of mud anyway. but still i was'nt happy about this shit in my 20k ride. So i did'nt use stock rad, I got a universal car rad and flushed the system with a hayden fan mod and now no problems at all with temp running hot. It also had straight anti freeze in it ,not 50/50 mix. I agree with A Reed , it's probably just a air pocket . Just had to vent a little about this stuped shit in my radiator. Any way good luck with your's.
Thanks for the info. I'd hate to see that in mine.
I've been thinking about relocating mine to the cage. How do you like your setup and are the fans loud being close to your head?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'd hate to see that in mine.
I've been thinking about relocating mine to the cage. How do you like your setup and are the fans loud being close to your head?
not to bad, just add beer n turn the tunes up. lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not to bad, just add beer n turn the tunes up. lol
To be honest it wouldn't bother me. But, my wife will be driving it most of the time.

Can you share some final pics of your setup? I'm assuming the radiator is a little larger, combined with dual fans it's probably a lot easier to keep the temps down. What temp did you set your hayden controller at?

·
Registered
88 Posts
To be honest it wouldn't bother me. But, my wife will be driving it most of the time.

Can you share some final pics of your setup? I'm assuming the radiator is a little larger, combined with dual fans it's probably a lot easier to keep the temps down. What temp did you set your hayden controller at?
That is my wifes ride. 180 degree's i'll post more pics later tonight

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is my wifes ride. 180 degree's i'll post more pics later tonight
We have some lucky wives! Lol.

By the way, my ride is a 2012 Outty 1000 as well.

Definitely post some pics if you don't mind. I'm sure this is the route I'll end up going.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Not saying this is wrong with yours Joey, but this was in my rad. and cooling system. mine overheated first time out,so i moved it up in the back cage. when i dumped rad out , this came out of it. For some reason the anti-freeze had some kind of reaction. the can am rep told my dealer that this happend in a couple of the test maverick's. I move all my radiator's up cause of mud anyway. but still i was'nt happy about this shit in my 20k ride. So i did'nt use stock rad, I got a universal car rad and flushed the system with a hayden fan mod and now no problems at all with temp running hot. It also had straight anti freeze in it ,not 50/50 mix. I agree with A Reed , it's probably just a air pocket . Just had to vent a little about this stuped shit in my radiator. Any way good luck with your's. View attachment 1892 View attachment 1893 View attachment 1894 View attachment 1895

Hope she never blows a hose.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We have some lucky wives! Lol.

By the way, my ride is a 2012 Outty 1000 as well.

Definitely post some pics if you don't mind. I'm sure this is the route I'll end up going.
I made the shroud also, had the same setup on the 900 xp , and this rad is twice as thick. c771 205.jpg c771 206.jpg c771 208.jpg c771 207.jpg
Had to throw a pic of " Mr. NASTY" in there! LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made the shroud also, had the same setup on the 900 xp , and this rad is twice as thick.
Had to throw a pic of " Mr. NASTY" in there! LOL
That setup looks nice! Nice Outty by the way. Thanks again. I'll pm you some questions later if I decide to go this route. I might throw in the hayden controller and just monitor the temps. See if I can live without relocating it first. But, after seeing what you had in yours, it almost makes me want to flush the system anyways.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yea, I've always wondered about this. I guess if everything is done correctly, the chance of this happening is rare.

I've done this to dozen's of rides, and never had an problem with a hose. On the ol XP i put a piece of lexan between the head rest n hoses just in case something did blow. i'm doing the same to this one. if it did blow, it would deflect it behind you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update----
I flushed the system and bled the new coolant according to the owner's manual. It definitely seems to be cooling better with no signs of overheating. I'm not an expert with coolant, but what came out didn't look like 50/50 either. I'd say the source of my problem was definitely air in the system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts