Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the overhead switch panel? I am looking to install a roof light bar, a dome light. If i did not put the overhead panel I would have to run a 12V for each light connected to separate switches, along with ground to both of them. The light bar is 12awg wire and the dome light is 16 awg. I know that can am has a factory drilled hole on the roll bar on the passengers side near the front of the cage. Would the 4 wires fit through it? and if anyone has bought the overhead panel, do you feel that it was worth the $200? Finally, can am has a 3 post terminal underneath the dash on the maverick trail. I understand that one post is 12+, the other is ground, but im not sure what the other post is. Is that a 12+ that is on the ignition switch? Only powered when the vehicle is on? I know this is getting long but thanks for the help!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the overhead switch panel? I am looking to install a roof light bar, a dome light. If i did not put the overhead panel I would have to run a 12V for each light connected to separate switches, along with ground to both of them. The light bar is 12awg wire and the dome light is 16 awg. I know that can am has a factory drilled hole on the roll bar on the passengers side near the front of the cage. Would the 4 wires fit through it? and if anyone has bought the overhead panel, do you feel that it was worth the $200? Finally, can am has a 3 post terminal underneath the dash on the maverick trail. I understand that one post is 12+, the other is ground, but im not sure what the other post is. Is that a 12+ that is on the ignition switch? Only powered when the vehicle is on? I know this is getting long but thanks for the help!
I opted not to buy the panel so I can’t comment there. You are correct on the 3 posts. Ground, 12V, switched 12V. I have my heaters off the switched and the light bar and sub off the non-switched. For switches, I found this guy.

https://www.ebay.com/i/111861501163?chn=ps&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fi%252F111861501163%253Fchn%253Dps%26itemid%3D111861501163%26targetid%3D375333484050%26device%3Dm%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D9021363%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D935969230%26adgroupid%3D45132009245%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-375333484050%26abcId%3D1129696%26merchantid%3D114816813%26gclid%3DEAIaIQobChMIhoyTkquv2AIVisJkCh2NzwALEAQYASABEgInHfD_BwE%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1403950422171

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Who has a link to the overhead switch panel?
Tim

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
pictures of one? would kind of be cool if its clean looking

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in the process of getting a bit carried away with the overhead panel...retired design engineer thing. Here is what I designed for the roof of my Trail. I do search and rescue plus I do a lot of trail work in Utah. On occasion I run 3 GPS units. Another tread sometime...

The Microphone looking thing along side the radio is the control head for my siren/PA system. It also has about 8 switches built into the hand control. The rest of the unit is in the back of the machine. I finished fabrication the plastic main panel yesterday and I have mounted the radio and the speaker this afternoon.

Also, the roof has an RV sliding window in it for a sun roof.

Hope you like.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have finished the panel...just have to install next week

IMG_9700.JPG IMG_9697.JPG
I am in the process of getting a bit carried away with the overhead panel...retired design engineer thing. Here is what I designed for the roof of my Trail. I do search and rescue plus I do a lot of trail work in Utah. On occasion I run 3 GPS units. Another tread sometime...

The Microphone looking thing along side the radio is the control head for my siren/PA system. It also has about 8 switches built into the hand control. The rest of the unit is in the back of the machine. I finished fabrication the plastic main panel yesterday and I have mounted the radio and the speaker this afternoon.

Also, the roof has an RV sliding window in it for a sun roof.

Hope you like.
Chris

·
Registered
809 Posts
I admire your very detailed work! Even so, I'm curious how well you'll hear radio transmission from that overhead console small speaker? As shown in prior threads, I have a compact 4-band mobile transceiver mounted on forward end of MavT console but use custom molded earbuds in combo with separate boom mic in my helmet plus separate PTT switch vs handheld mic. This being for improved audio clarity without wind noise both for receive and transmit. My buddy Yattr devised 3.5mm TRRS adapters and junction box attached to the lower dash panel with interfaces plugged conveniently into that. For navigation, I'm using combo of Garmin 276cx plus Nexus7 gps-enabled tablet running proprietary ESRI ArcGIS software with local USFS mapping database fully loaded.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is why I added a speaker just in back of my GPS units, plus there will be a second system for high noise. I have a total of three radios I normally use. The one you see in the photo is ham. I also use a Motorola 800 meg and a VHF XTS 2500 handhelds for SAR. I have the two of them wired into a Firecom Unit. Both of the handhelds go thru the Firecom unit to a wire helmet. One HH radio I can transmit by PTT on the helmet the second I only hear audio, but I can switch easily as the need arises. Acoustic trout who is also on this forum is designing me a mixer that combines all three and that will be nice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have integrated a Motochello MC200 in my MavT. I've had the unit for some time - it has been previously used on 2 motorcycles and now the MavT. I use it to integrate my phone (calls, music and navigation), ham radio, passenger intercom and FM Radio. I use molded earbuds and helmet mic. Below is a diagram of the previous install on a BMW R1200RTL/W. The MavT configuration and install is significantly less and simple in comparison to what is shown in the diagram. I added a power switch to the center switch bank which controls power (direct from battery) to the MC200 and a dual USB ports in the same panel. RAM mounts are used for the display, phone and ham radio.

DirtDawg and I use ham radios which enables us to communicate over a longer distances and others when necessary. We mostly operate simplex but have all the local repeaters programmed into our radios.

I make soft maps using Forest Service public database files that DirtDawg and I use with smart devices (Windows, Android and iOS).

When using my Beta and DirtDwag is using his MavT (doubles as my gas tender!), I use a simple direct connection for mic and earbuds with remote PTT with a handheld ham radio.

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 10.35.54 AM.png

·
Registered
21 Posts
I never listen to music, so other than that we have similar system other than that. Mine is more tailored for SAR, yours for enjoyment. Looks like a really cool setup though.

Here is the finished setup. Going to start the sunroof now. IMG_9702.JPG

·
Registered
809 Posts
OTOH, I seriously doubt you'll be able to clearly hear and understand radio output, considering ambient noise from Rotax plus wind noise. If you wear either a helmet or squad mandated hardhat, even less so. Most squad members in local SAR use an HT which are prone to less than stellar clarity unless transmitting from a stationary point. If you find that speaker doesn't work as well as you intend, consider custom molded earbuds. The ones Yattr and I have utilize air tubes routed from mid chest level where the actual "speakers" are wired via 3.5mm stereo plug to the audio source. No delicate wires to break or be torn from the ear buds themselves...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts