Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does buying out of state work?
I've got a quote shipped that's quite intriguing, and have read of people buying out of state to avoid taxes...
I'm wondering if I will need to account for my states sales tax at some point on this buggy? I'm assuming yes, as uncle s. always gets his share...

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you want to register and title and insure it yes u will have to pay sales tax. May be cheaper to buy in state and haggle the dealer

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought mine in Michigan. Didn't pay taxes till i got it home and did the title work then you pay the tax based on your county.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
ya u can buy anywhere ur dmv will charge u based on purchased price

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can insure and not pay the taxes. You will only have to pay the taxes if you register it and/or drive it on road.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
a little side note here, I knew a gu who bought out of state. way way out of state, no tax.. no register it so he was good, so he thought. about 6 months later he got a nasty tax bill from his home state with penalties, interest and a referral to the attorney general for tax evasion. cost him double what the base tax would have been. then a few months later got a letter from tax divison wanting to know what all things he bought online from out of state

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
a little side note here, I knew a gu who bought out of state. way way out of state, no tax.. no register it so he was good, so he thought. about 6 months later he got a nasty tax bill from his home state with penalties, interest and a referral to the attorney general for tax evasion. cost him double what the base tax would have been. then a few months later got a letter from tax divison wanting to know what all things he bought online from out of state
Back in 08 I made the same mistake on a can am renegade. Went to SC since they were the only one with the 500. Purchased half with cash and financed the rest, 6 months later a big tax bill landed at my doorstep! We finally resolved it and ended up paying about 30% of the total bill. I don't think they would have ever known if it would have been paid in cash. In fact, I purchased the Mav with cash last year and paid all sales tax at that time but I have not received any property tax bill to date

·
Registered
415 Posts
So far so good, 3 bikes, in 9 years, out of state, no taxes, Arkansas is different I guess! everyone buys from arkansas

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
39 Posts
which communist state is that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Last Sept I bought a new Xxc Mav in Utah while we were riding an ATV jamboree and because our home state (Oregon) has no sales tax the salesman asked if I wanted a Utah title. I asked what advantage I would have doing that he said '' you would have the honor of paying Utah's 8% sales tax'' I said no thanks and brought my new toy home and paid about $80 for a Oregon title. I should say too that Oregon charges $10 for a two year off road tag. Not too bad compared to other states.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts