Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions, planning on spending a weekend at the dunes end of August, what does everyone reccomend for lodging? Looking for something really close to the dunes (preferably riding the machines from hotel/cabin/air bnb etc and not having to trailer). I don't have an RV so campsites are out, unless they also have cabins. Also, which of the areas is the "best". Very experienced rider, but first time to the dunes so not necessarily the biggest, baddest dunes, but an area that has everything, dunes, sand trails etc. Thanks!!

Oh, and if anyone wants to come, i'm planning for the weekend before labour day.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Couple questions, planning on spending a weekend at the dunes end of August, what does everyone reccomend for lodging? Looking for something really close to the dunes (preferably riding the machines from hotel/cabin/air bnb etc and not having to trailer). I don't have an RV so campsites are out, unless they also have cabins. Also, which of the areas is the "best". Very experienced rider, but first time to the dunes so not necessarily the biggest, baddest dunes, but an area that has everything, dunes, sand trails etc. Thanks!!

Oh, and if anyone wants to come, i'm planning for the weekend before labour day.
To me growing up in Florence we've 4 different Dunes..
Smallest is Sand lake (Tillamook) least desirable unless testing and tuning.
With in the (ODNRA) you have
Florence to me is the most technical, lots of witches eyes and dropoffs..
But easy access to beach.. (state hwy 25mph). No access without RV.
Winchester Bay, the smallest of the 3, however has some hill Climbs, No beach access.
Cabins are available through Douglas County with access to the dunes.
Since we're from Florence, we would rather travel the 47 miles to the southern dunes.
Spinreel, Hauser or Horsfall.
We prefer the north part of those dunes which is Riley Ranch and Spinreel..
Easier access to beach..
They're a few rentals in that area that have access to the dunes.

However in August I'm sure most are already booked.

Have fun wherever you end up going and please keep right foot attached to the brain..
I personally don't like hearing the sirens that are heading out to the dunes.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
From Northern Washington and been going to the southern dunes once a year for the past 10 years. They're my favorite for the same reasons listed above. I think there are vacation rentals just north of Riley Ranch but would also assume they're already rented out. For perspective we stay at Horsfall Campground and have to reserve our camp spot 6 months out as soon as the Forest Service makes them available.

A few years ago a couple of family members stayed at the Bay Bridge hotel just south of Horsfall access. They said the motel was adequate and has some amount of trailer parking. You'd be trailering to the staging areas though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also like the northern dunes best but like said rather sure all booked up you could try Woahink lake RV park they have a few cabins W/dune access. good luck

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Umpqua dunes rv park at Winchester bay use to have some cabins but they were getting pretty run down as a last resort. The condos just west of umpqua dunes rv look very nice As mentioned above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info! Lots of good stuff in here! I think i'll end up staying a bit from the dunes as, like you guys said, there's not much available. Trailering to the dunes, would you go to Umpqua beach staging area, or Spinreel staging area to launch?

And last question, stock tires will work well enough on sand? I don't want to spend the $$ for a full paddle setup until I decide if I like the dunes vs the desert stuff.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I run my stock big horns 2.0 on a 2018 XRS & have no problem. I do run in 4WD most of the time have fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the info! Lots of good stuff in here! I think i'll end up staying a bit from the dunes as, like you guys said, there's not much available. Trailering to the dunes, would you go to Umpqua beach staging area, or Spinreel staging area to launch?

And last question, stock tires will work well enough on sand? I don't want to spend the $$ for a full paddle setup until I decide if I like the dunes vs the desert stuff.
Do a day at each, as they don’t connect. Winchester in the middle has the steeper hills in my opinion and spin reel has something for everyone and is a way bigger area. The southern most dunes for my family have always been the most fun.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Yep, if you got a trailer hit multiple spots. From Winchester you can hit all the other places within 30min. We camp/ride at Winchester and also have ridden Coos Bay. Both very different so worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Do a day at each, as they don’t connect. Winchester in the middle has the steeper hills in my opinion and spin reel has something for everyone and is a way bigger area. The southern most dunes for my family have always been the most fun.
Back in the day they did Kinda connect...
Some of my best memories..
Stopping at the Foxhole in Gardiner cause we had to hit the pavement from Sparrow to Winchester Bay..(70's and early 80's)

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Assuming you have stock X3 beadlocks, air them down to 6-8psi and you'll be good to go anywhere. That aside; plan on leaving there and buying yourself a set of paddles. You're going to love it and they're well worth it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Assuming you have stock X3 beadlocks, air them down to 6-8psi and you'll be good to go anywhere. That aside; plan on leaving there and buying yourself a set of paddles. You're going to love it and they're well worth it.
I don't think I have beadlocks, it's an XDS Turbo R (64")

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have a ds 64” no bead locks. I ran 8-9 psi in the rear and 10 in the fronts with stock big horns With good results. Before we got paddles. We got a set of 30” sandlites from rocky mtn Atv on beadlocks for ultra cheap. They work well also. Are friends have the ss360 for dunes and desert.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dreamsicle How does your friends ss360 tires compare other style paddles. so far I have used my maxis 2.0 tires in the Oregon dunes but think I may like the ss360 better I am no sand expert so would like feedback any & all thnx for the help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ss360 seem to be an awesome all around sand tire, he has no complaints. They just go, no big roost, good flotation, very tuff, easy on pavement And hard pack. overall good duning tire for the novice to expert. Regular conventional paddles suck on pavement, and the amount of paddles and size need to be more closely matched to horseppower and clutching. Ss360 will be my next sand tire. Good overall sand tire Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2020 X3 RC Turbo RR
71 Posts
Several AIRBNB homes with dune access but just like camp grounds they will also be booked. Worth a shot though. Coos bay north and south have some very fun trails and dunes to ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts