Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Oregon Dunes National Rec Area

9K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Jackalope 
#1 ·
We had a amazing first expererence at the Florence Oregon Dunes National Rec Area. The Dunes and the Maverick are Awesome!!!

All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Sand Motor vehicle Car

Sand Natural environment Dune Tree Sky

All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Sand Motor vehicle Natural environment

Sand Natural environment Vehicle Sky Road

Vehicle Sand Natural environment All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle

Sand All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Natural environment

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle All-terrain vehicle Yellow

Sky Blue Sand Beach Sea

Sand Natural environment Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Dune

Vehicle Sand Natural environment Motor vehicle Dune

Body of water Sand Nature Sky Water resources

Sand Natural environment Dune Blue Water resources

Sand Natural environment Desert Aeolian landform Sahara

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Sand Off-road vehicle

Sand Natural environment Sky Desert Landscape

Sky Natural environment Vehicle Landscape Automotive exterior

Sand Vehicle Natural environment All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle

See less See more
Reactions: Jackalope
#3 ·
Nice pictures. Always fun riding on beach dunes.

#8 ·
Thanks. It sure was amazing.

Thanks for posting the pictures. We go to Florence once a year in May. The rest of our trips are to Coos Bay except for dunefest at Winchester. Heading to dunefest on the 31st and it will be the first ride in the Maverick.
Where in Coos Bay? Have fun at Dunefest, should be a blast in the Mav.

Thanks for sharing!

Florence is our favorite dune destination because of the variety of terrain, but its been over two years since our last visit.

4 weeks until a Coos Bay trip though......first trip on sand tires as well.
There is a lot of variety. Thinking of getting paddles for next year, but the Bighorns did do well at 6 psi

#6 ·
I have a few questions for you Oregon dune riders:

1. What are the best places to ride that has adjacent camping (ride from camp spot directly to the dunes without trailering)
2. What are the best recommended camping spots with full facilities preferred (i.e. national park campgrounds or privately owned campgrounds etc…)
3. What is the best time of year to go when the weather is still nice but not a million people are there).
4. What are the restrictions as far as what is needed for an out of stater to legally ride on the dunes?

I want to start planning a trip for next year so I wanted to start looking into times and places to make reservations in advance.

Thanks in advance.

#12 · (Edited)
New to the Florence Oregon Dunes National Rec Area. The weather was excellent but windy in the afternoon when we were there last week. I have been told that September is a good time. We stayed at Woahink Lake RV, a private park with full hook ups, cable, wifi and direct access to the dunes. They also have access to Woahink Lake on the other side of the Hwy. Friends stay at the Forest Service OHV Park Driftwood II. No hook ups, but have washrooms, showers, and drinking water with access to the dunes. There are also places to sand camp in Driftwood and Goose Pasture. Oregon added a new class IV ATV/OHV permit for sxs's, think I paid $10.50 at local ATV shop. Class II & IV don't require a ATV safety education card, but you must have a valid driver's license. A flag and fire extinguisher are also needed.

#7 ·
1. And 2. In Coos Bay there are a couple of good dune access campgrounds horse fall and spinreel look them both up. Coos Bay is the largest dune area on the Oregon coast and has the most to offer with trails, open sand with big dunes, hill climbs, tree shots or idiot holes, and beach riding.
3. The weather is a crap shoot in the Pacific Northwest but our first trip is usually Memorial Day and its 50/50 chance you will get good weather. Most years you can ride into October and not get rained on.
4. In Oregon you need to have a rider safety card (look into it online) and your machine has to be registered for orv. If you are already registered in your state it will be good in Oregon. If not an Oregon orv tag is 10 or 12 bucks and good for two years. You also have to have a flag that is 9 feet above the sand.

#9 ·
Awesome…thank you for the information! I will let you know when we plan our trip and maybe some fellow Maverick riders can get together...

#15 ·
Wohink is my favorite Florence camp spot. Honeyman state campground is good in the winter when it has dune access Oct-Apr.

Coos is just 50 miles south of Florence and Winchester is about half way between. This is my first time camping there and were staying at Horsefall beach.

#17 ·
The only full hook up camp spot at Coos bay area is the KOA, but its expensive & you have to ride about 1/2 mile to get to the dunes. They also book sometimes a year in advance for certain spots so reserve early if planning to go there with a group. Riley Ranch up by Spinreel has water & power only - no septic and you also have to ride about a 1/2 mile but at least its mostly a sand road after the bridge. All the state campgrounds are just paved parking spots(dry camping) except for the sand camp areas. Spinreel is a small campground, if you have a big rv or trailer it will not fit but a nice campground none the less. Horsefal has 2 campgrounds, the problem is you cant get between the two without doing a big detour on the sand. The one closest to the highway is probably better of the 2, it's closer to the better riding area the other is next to the ocean - can be windy. Coos is the better riding out of all the dune areas up there in my opinion, especially if you also ride quads, tons of trails & tree shots.

Winchester has the tallest dunes up there, but the riding area is fairly small. We usually just do a day trip when we go there. There is a rv park that has full hook ups & you can ride to the dunes but I can't remember the name of it. Sand camping is also available. Theres also a couple other campgrounds around Winchester but have no dune access.

You've already experienced Florence, Honeyman state park is nice but only has dune access at certain times of the year if I remember right. Hope this helps

#19 ·
Hi Guys, I'm heading out to the Florence area to do some camping next week and wonder how far into the fun zone
I can get with my 2 wheel drive truck? Looking on G Earth the access roads to the dunes with plant life on them and
on the east side away from the beach look pretty sandy. Any info appreciated...

#22 ·
Usually 4x4 with lowered air pressure is suggested to run in these dunes...this is a finer sand than many places we've been to and can many times devour a 4x2 that is lacking horsepower and a pair of paddles, thus an owner's steep learning curve when getting towed out of a predicament. 4x4 and low air pressures on truck and trailer will let you get to all USFS sand camping areas tho.

#20 ·
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Here's one on Lake Michigan at Silver Lake dunes last weekend.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.