Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Maverick for a little over a month now with 3 trips to the Dunes (Mostly 2 Hi) and one to the woods Have about 333/mi on it. Thinking about changing the belt before my big 4day weekend trip back to the dunes.

Tires: 26" Sand Star Paddles with 26" sand star fronts / Stock Big Horns

Not smelling any rubber or noticing any issues just wasn't sure how long these belts last in the dunes. Read somewhere that the estimate was (350 - 450mi in the dunes) Just I know Murphy's law of it will break only at the worst possible time.

Are the CVT Blowers and Dunes Clutch Kit worth doing?

So Should I Change the belt ahead of time or It should have some good life left?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im a noob with ATVs. I assumed belts lasted years. Do you guys beat the shit out of them - is that why?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I had 409 miles on my first factory belt. I replaced it when I installed my new clutches so now I have brand new belt to start off the season and I have broken in replacement. I like to start the season with a new belt no matter what because its easier to change it in the garage than out on the trail or dunes.

Reactions: maddmaxx

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im a noob with ATVs. I assumed belts lasted years. Do you guys beat the shit out of them - is that why?
I'm kinda of new to these whole CVT Clutches too that use a belt to connect the engine to the transmission. Its a rubber belt with Various re-enforcement materials (Kevlar, Zylon etc...) and it will break eventually. The more, Load, heat and slippage just decrease the life span. Oregon Sand dunes just puts more load on a bike. Ever try to walk up hill in the sand. You will notice it takes much more energy vs dirt or pavement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just ordered the STM blower also. Was it hard to install?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nope about 40 min only. Gets tricky if you also have the power steering installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered the STM blower also. Was it hard to install?
Only tricky part is getting the OEM Intake Boot aligned properly onto the STM Blower so that the mounting hole aligns properly. Once you find the correct rotation of the boot onto the blower, I had to angle the boot out a bit mine so that the intake boot fits properly back into the OEM hole on the side of the bike.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can-Am Maverick CVT Housing Blower - STM Power Sports
Is this the system you're talking about here. Sounds like this could be a good idea to remove heat. Does it make a lot of noise or do you even notice it when it's running?
Yes that is the blower, It wasn't too bad to install took about 45min. You will spend most of your time aligning the OEM Boot to the blower so that it all aligns properly.

Noise, It is just as loud as the blower in my boat's engine compartment. You only hear it is the bike is at idle or off.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Pnutz - how di you wire it? Do you have it hooked up so that you can run it even with the engine off? I noticed my belt temps actually increased during the first 5 minutes of the engine being off so I would highly recommend a switch that is not powered by the ignition so you can run it when the vehicle is off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pnutz - how di you wire it? Do you have it hooked up so that you can run it even with the engine off? I noticed my belt temps actually increased during the first 5 minutes of the engine being off so I would highly recommend a switch that is not powered by the ignition so you can run it when the vehicle is off.
The STM Kit contains everything! Including a wiring harness that connects into the factory fuse block and it has a rocker switch so you can run the fan with the Key off.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks for the info.....do you happen to have a CVT temp gauge? I was hoping someone that has the blower has the gauge so I can compare temps....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts