Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been lurking on this forum for a while... almost a year and got some good advice. Thought I'd pay it back by sharing some thoughts after one month and about 300 miles on my 21 MavT 1000 DPS, my first SxS. All of my riding has been, and will mostly be in NW Wisconsin.

Overall I'm really happy with it - sure, its a 50" and other models have way more power and better suspension, but I'm pleasantly surprised by what a $15k machine can do. I put it through some bumps, sometimes going fairly quick, and each time was pleasantly surprised by how well they were handled. Plenty good for Northwest Wisconsin. Its acceptably quick in ECO mode, and I've spent plenty of time racing cars on tracks and enjoy driving fast. I love the slight oversteer on gravel, very predictable and easy to point it around with my right foot. Of course a SxS is so much less stable than a race car so I know to keep things reasonable with a machine like this.

I went with the Ryfab roof and folding windshield and love them. The windshield was slightly tricky to install and easily took the most time of all these mods by far - only because the instructions aren't the best (and I don't have internet or cell service at my cabin) and the upper brackets weren't bent correctly and thus made it hard to figure out where they belong. A little adjustment with a vise got them just right. When everything else is properly adjusted, nothing rattles one bit, even when at pretty much full suspension travel - window up or down. It does get warm with the windshield up, opening the vent helps but you'll still be warm on a 65+ degree day. The free heater will be nice for when its in the 50s in October though! Visibility with the windshield up or down isn't a problem, I kinda forgot it was there when riding with it down.

The Ryfab roof is quite easy to install. I opted to go with some my own ~.25" rubber strips on the rear bar to reduce vibration and cut them so that I can pull the straps of the wind screen (that I haven't used yet) through to loop around the bar.

Both the roof and windshield can be installed by one person and other than the issues above, aren't terribly difficult to DIY. I have read some people mention rattling, but mine definitely do not. I can't say that will be the case after a few thousand miles, but so far so good.

Seizmik Pursuit mirrors - work perfectly fine with the Ryfab windshield and are easy to set up. Good visibility. Rock solid. Worth it.

I added the rear cargo cover and put my spare in there (thanks DirtDawg). Initially I was a bit concerned by the lack of tie downs in the bed, but with the spare in there, i can wedge some boxes with the rest of my emergency gear and not have any of it rattle around. The spare needs to be deflated and takes up much of the space, but there is still enough room for a jack, compressor, tools, etc, but you're not going to fit anything large with a tire in there. Installation is pretty easy. To free up space I may go with a hitch mount for my spare, and then would need to figure out how to secure cargo in the trunk.

Last mod so far is the device holder which seems to work well and provides an extra storage compartment. I also learned that iPads without cellular actually do not have GPS, so I need a new one of those. But the device holder will actually hold a phone pretty well too!

After 300 miles, I think these are the things I need next and will add over the winter:

Harnesses - the stock seat belts aren't great and are even worse for women, so my wife says.
Light bar - not so much for my visibility but for oncoming traffic in the woods.
Rear glass window or wind screen - I actually have the CanAm screen but didn't put it up, and should have. It got real dusty inside when following others with the windshield up.
Winch - after going through a mud hole that seemed trivial the first time through, then nearly getting stuck and rolling it on the way back (made it out okay), it was clear that I should have a solid plan B just in case...
Mud flaps - wow, does this thing kick up mud all over the back end...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Premium Member
Been lurking on this forum for a while... almost a year and got some good advice. Thought I'd pay it back by sharing some thoughts after one month and about 300 miles on my 21 MavT, my first SxS. All of my riding has been, and will mostly be in NW Wisconsin.

Overall I'm really happy with it - sure, its a 50" and other models have way more power and better suspension, but I'm pleasantly surprised by what a $15k machine can do. I put it through some bumps, sometimes going fairly quick, and each time was pleasantly surprised by how well they were handled. Plenty good for Northwest Wisconsin. Its acceptably quick in ECO mode, and I've spent plenty of time racing cars on tracks and enjoy driving fast. I love the slight oversteer on gravel, very predictable and easy to point it around with my right foot. Of course a SxS is so much less stable than a race car so I know to keep things reasonable with a machine like this.

I went with the Ryfab roof and folding windshield and love them. The windshield was slightly tricky to install and easily took the most time of all these mods by far - only because the instructions aren't the best (and I don't have internet or cell service at my cabin) and the upper brackets weren't bent correctly and thus made it hard to figure out where they belong. A little adjustment with a vise got them just right. When everything else is properly adjusted, nothing rattles one bit, even when at pretty much full suspension travel - window up or down. It does get warm with the windshield up, opening the vent helps but you'll still be warm on a 65+ degree day. The free heater will be nice for when its in the 50s in October though! Visibility with the windshield up or down isn't a problem, I kinda forgot it was there when riding with it down.

The Ryfab roof is quite easy to install. I opted to go with some my own ~.25" rubber strips on the rear bar to reduce vibration and cut them so that I can pull the straps of the wind screen (that I haven't used yet) through to loop around the bar.

Both the roof and windshield can be installed by one person and other than the issues above, aren't terribly difficult to DIY. I have read some people mention rattling, but mine definitely do not. I can't say that will be the case after a few thousand miles, but so far so good.

Seizmik Pursuit mirrors - work perfectly fine with the Ryfab windshield and are easy to set up. Good visibility. Rock solid. Worth it.

I added the rear cargo cover and put my spare in there (thanks DirtDawg). Initially I was a bit concerned by the lack of tie downs in the bed, but with the spare in there, i can wedge some boxes with the rest of my emergency gear and not have any of it rattle around. The spare needs to be deflated and takes up much of the space, but there is still enough room for a jack, compressor, tools, etc, but you're not going to fit anything large with a tire in there. Installation is pretty easy. To free up space I may go with a hitch mount for my spare, and then would need to figure out how to secure cargo in the trunk.

Last mod so far is the device holder which seems to work well and provides an extra storage compartment. I also learned that iPads without cellular actually do not have GPS, so I need a new one of those. But the device holder will actually hold a phone pretty well too!

After 300 miles, I think these are the things I need next and will add over the winter:

Harnesses - the stock seat belts aren't great and are even worse for women, so my wife says.
Light bar - not so much for my visibility but for oncoming traffic in the woods.
Rear glass window or wind screen - I actually have the CanAm screen but didn't put it up, and should have. It got real dusty inside when following others with the windshield up.
Winch - after going through a mud hole that seemed trivial the first time through, then nearly getting stuck and rolling it on the way back (made it out okay), it was clear that I should have a solid plan B just in case...
Mud flaps - wow, does this thing kick up mud all over the back end...

View attachment 272156 View attachment 272157
Nice write up 馃憤

Reactions: zakvek

Registered
Nice review. They are pretty good little machines. I'm quite happy with mine. I have to agree with the mud flares/extensions. I got them as soon as the ground thawed and I realized how much mud gets thrown. They do help some, but I find my tail lights still get covered. And definitely get that winch, especially if you ride alone. Next up for me is wider offset wheels and tires that can survive rocks. The OEMs are coming to pieces after only one summer.

Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
The Sports and Trails do fling mud up onto the ass end for sure. You almost have to do your own mod to avoid that. But as long as it's not flying all into the cab I don't really care personally. But I have the trunk cover. I could see it being pretty annoying with an open bed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts