Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Maverick X3 Max X rs Turbo R
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
#KleinnAirHorns #tooloudtoobad #CAN-AM-X3

For our 2018 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max X rs Turbo R, I wanted to have an onboard air system and if needed, know I could get some attention when out on the dunes and trails... Got to participate in the Kleinn Air Horn Test Team for their new 153.7 db train horn and onboard air system. With our light bar strobe mode and the train horn, I'm sure we can get the attention when needed!

We live in and bought our X3 in California, so the factory fuel evaporative canister prevented installing the compressor where Kleinn designed it (left rear wheel well). I made a pattern and worked with a local machine shop to have a shelf fabricated and installed it under the right rear seat.

That location is really convenient as it is easy to wire the compressor and route the air lines to the tank. It also allowed for the compressor air filter to be installed inside the plastic housing at the right rear pillar location. It worked great, with a very clean installation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
any pics? it sounds interesting, esp for the mounting bracket.

steve

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Why would you want to blast your own ears with a train horn?! I get it on a vehicle when you are inside and away from it, but this just makes no damn sense to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
20190908_120142.jpg 20190908_120135.jpg

The link above takes you to the video I made and uploaded of the unboxing and installation. The last several minutes were taped just recently, a few months after beginning the project. After letting Klein know about the fuel evaporative canister, I received an email reply saying they were working on an alternative mounting location. After another month or so, I saw the product had been released. Photos of our X3 (in Can-Am red) are on their website showing the issue. I'll upload a few other pics here in a bit.

Overall, it was a great project and Kleinn has a quality kit. My only disappointment was in the delay and their decision not to develop an alternative mount. It worked out okay, and I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For us, it's a matter of safety. The dunes and trails are full of riders and enthusiasts who don't always pay attention. Whenever we need to let someone know we're around a sharp turn, on the other side of the dune, or if we just need to get attention, the train horn comes in handy. Otherwise, it's nice knowing we have the onboard air system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man, I hate saying it but there is no way that's 153 db.

I'm running a Nathan K3L AirChime and it's supposed to be 156 db, and I'm way louder.

-Kris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts