Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some tires to mount up on my Hiper Wheels... they are 14x7 an in Close to factory offset as possible...5-2.. Im going with the same size tire all fours... Thinking of goin to a 9" wide all the way around or 10".. I want to stay at least 27" or 28" nothing bigger....I would like to here what everyone has to say about with and Experience with these Tires... Also whats you thoughts on 9" vs 10"

Tires Im looking at

GBC

Dirt Commanders 27 9 14 22.8#
Kananti Mongerals 28 10 14 28.5#
Maxxis Vipers 27 9 14 27.4#
ITP Blackwater Evo 27 9 14 27.6#
BigHorn 2.0 28 9 14 22.25#

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I luved my dirt commanders tuff tire and looks good cleans out nice

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
There are pros and cons to running the same size. What makes for an easy swap out on the trail and less un sprung weight might hurt you when out in the mud or rock crawling

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
so for desert skinny is ok

I wonder what a set of 27x9's look like on a maverick ?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My vote is for the mongrels. I haven't used any of the tires you mentioned, but I read over and over how great the mongrels are at everything. And I'm happy with my Big Horn twos, but if I ever do go to another tire it will definitely be the mongrels.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
My vote is for the mongrels. I haven't used any of the tires you mentioned, but I read over and over how great the mongrels are at everything. And I'm happy with my Big Horn twos, but if I ever do go to another tire it will definitely be the mongrels.
I like those tires to they seem badass, I seen tons of good things and just a guy or two say he had to put 50 plugs in it over a few months , lol but everyone rides different lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm running staggered 27" Roctanes, and they've been pretty good so far. That's mostly on hard rocks, and trails. I ride on the street a little and they've held out good on that part. They're also mounted on 14" hipers. You can see pics in some of my other threads.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the blackwater evo they are ok I bought for the 8 ply I ride a lot of sharp shit up my way .I gained around 40 lbs over stock set-up took a few rides to get them running smooth on blacktop I also put balanceing beads in.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly between my two Commanders and the Mav I have put 6800 miles on the stock 2.0 sand had one plug.... Pretty good record I think..... Just want to go to all same size on these new wheels.... I'm really leaning toward the Mongerals??

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Mongrels are a west coast tire. I really think you're going to hate them if you get them. Several guys I race with had them this year and every single one of them has got rid of them due to the lack of traction. I should have my 27x9 dirt commanders mounted up this week. I'll take pictures.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm taking a hard look at the Roctanes mounted on ITP's double beadlock. 14" 28x10x14 all the way around. Just wondering what the pro's or con's running same size also all way around.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have 30" Mongrels & I love them for what I do. For rock crawling, desert & mounain trails they work great & are tough but still flex enough to work good. I think Alex is right from what I've read as well, the Mongrel is more of a west coast tire. They don't do well in the mud. I will put my Big Horns on for when we hit the mountain trails for spring thaw or the dunes if I decide not to run my paddles. Mongrels for everything else.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the blackwater evo they are ok I bought for the 8 ply I ride a lot of sharp shit up my way .I gained around 40 lbs over stock set-up took a few rides to get them running smooth on blacktop I also put balanceing beads in.
How do you like this set up, what size did you get? I've ordered the 30's on 14" itp beadloks, just curious as to how they perform on rocky dirt trails and climbing hills. Any info on them is greatly appreciated.

Nathan

·
Registered
725 Posts
Was looking at roctanes or blackwaters also heard excellent reviews on the roctanes but hardly anything on the blackwaters!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Was looking at roctanes or blackwaters also heard excellent reviews on the roctanes but hardly anything on the blackwaters!
I know, very little info on the blackwaters. I chose them because they were only a few pounds heavier than the mongrels and about 7 lighter than the rocktane's. Plus I saw a few videos of a jagged x running them up a few hills that another xp4 with mongrels couldn't do. Both the tires ran were 30's, my main concern was the durability of them. The few threads I've read on the blackwater evos were good.

Nathan

·
Registered
272 Posts
Every other weekend that's usually where I'm at, kinda slowed down the last month or so tho. It's only 25 miles from me, It's a fun place to ride especially being so close to home.

·
Registered
725 Posts
We should hook up sometime been there once I was just a pure mud rider but hardly any riding doing just that

1 - 20 of 29 Posts