Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Max today at a Phoenix area dealer, I won't name them to be fair, but large dealer on the west side of the 101 freeway. They had a Max with all the bells and whistles, aftermarket cage, full integrated stereo, aluminum roof, 16" wheel and tires including suspension mods, light bars, and some other stuff. They are asking $32,000 for this unit. What do ya'll think? It took my breath away but the 16" wheels really stoked my interest. they did have the same cage sitting on the floor for $3,600 change round off. No engine or clutching modifications that anyone told me about. Any one else looked at the unit what are your opinions?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yup they can rack up sum coin quick they have a 40k rzr down there to , lol

if all the upgrades are what u want and u priced it out and its not much more then what u can build it for , some people just like to buy it set up and be done with it if they can afford it, so its really what makes u happy , screw us , lol :)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
thats a lot of added weight for a stock clutch setup.....it will not very strong if it hasn't been re-clutched....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, I know what you mean, the suspension mods gave me some concern with the increased stress on components and such. Although the 16" wheels really did look good.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
the clutch is a 750-1400 fix

but u also have a 1 year warranty on the clutch so u have time to save or buy that, lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
the clutch is a 750-1400 fix

but u also have a 1 year warranty on the clutch so u have time to save or buy that, lol
funny you say that but if we installed all of that stuff on our Maverick and then blew belts or had clutch issues, they wouldn't have any trouble pointing the finger at the mods.....

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
funny you say that but if we installed all of that stuff on our Maverick and then blew belts or had clutch issues, they wouldn't have any trouble pointing the finger at the mods.....
ya I wonder where they would draw the line or what they would do ,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was kinda strange, I wandered around for about an hour, checking out a lot of stuff and no sales people bothered me! When I did spy the rig in discussion I ask a passing employee about it and he said they did all the mods but did not touch the engine or clutch "let the owners do that stuff and suffer the consequences" or something close. So to get a couple of questions answered I called and watched the guy in the big glassed in cage answer and give me the info I was looking for. As I said its a nice looking rig, but with the extra stresses and all I dunno. Has anyone any experience with the wheel spacers, 16" tires, no clutch mods, and dependability? The motor I don't worry about that much from all I have read if you add power automatically ya better do clutching. Like Heavysledz said the mods are a cause for concern. My darling thinks I should buy it, but I like use not issues, if you know what I mean. Oh and the 16"ers are a somewhat skinny tire, deep thread but not to wide.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
just say NO to 16" wheels. Those tires dont have alot of rubber on them and you will beat the hell out of the wheels on rocks. Less rubber equals crappy ride, just think of the street trucks with 20" wheels and 35" tires. Crappy ride on road and when aired down for offroad the wheels get damaged along with sidewall pinch flats.

price out all of the accessories you would want and see what the price difference is. The dealers mark up the accessories and add installation. And they DO NOT give you all of the stock take off parts to sell and re-coup some $$.

I would mod it yourself and add clutches in that number, more weight kills these clutches.

As for the warranty, do you really want to be taking it back to the dealer and ruining trips all the time?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
32K isn't bad - sounds like your still missing the stereo...if your into that and a clutch. Have them install an STM Rage 3 or 6 as part of the deal. You wont have anything to worry about after that. The 16's a probably a little silly. The weight of those is just silly compared to even the 14. If you compare on a website like STI or Cococomponents they are easily 10lbs per wheel heavier not counting the tires that also weigh more.

Definitely don't leave there without a clutch. Most of us especially with Max's have that in our machines and I don't have a custom cage.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
So based on what you said the sales guy said in passing...makes me think they just threw a bunch of BLING at this thing and really have no idea if it rides, handles, or even performs well with all of the stuff they installed. They simply did it to draw the attention and try to gain a sale.....that to me, would be a big red flag. For the difference in cost of a MAX XRS/DPS and this unit, you could probably take it to a custom shop like desertdog did or many others have done and have them do all of the customization for you as they would have a lot more experience and knowledge of what works and what doesn't. I wouldn't rely on a dealer who simply bolted on a bunch of goodies and has no idea if it can even get out of it's own way.....plus you would have the opportunity to be involved with the customization and the overall experience......just my $.02

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
see berts utv.... not sure if those are the ones your talking about but they produce some cool stuff

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I think he meant if you only replace the primary.....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That is overpriced. I am certain they are charging in there for labor of installing the parts, and full retail on them. You'd be better off getting a Max and adding it all yourself. I bet you save in excess of 5 grand.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
How do you get a $750 clutch set up? Everythign I have seen is $1700 and up.
ya sorry just primary 750-850 I think cv tech qsc/ 950-stm ?

then after the first of the year team clutches are releasing a clutch for 499 plus weights and springs so around 699 people are saying then u need the 550 stm secondary if u want full potential

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
ya sorry just primary 750-850 I think cv tech qsc/ 950-stm ?

then after the first of the year team clutches are releasing a clutch for 499 plus weights and springs so around 699 people are saying then u need the 550 stm primary if u want full potential
he meant secondary...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I actually bought mine from the same dealer, and that cage you saw laying on the ground is probably mine. I'm taking my unit back in today to have it installed. The cage is made by Precision Billet, who does phenomenal work. I haven't seen the unit you are talking about but in terms of the cage itself, remember you are taking off the stock one, so the weight difference isn't going to be huge. One other thing I'd tell you - DO NOT pay list price. If you look on their website, you can see on their sold units what people actually paid (which is typically $3-5k less than "list" price). When I bought my base unit, I gave Gentry (parts guy who handles their builds) a list of what i wanted. He gave me the list back wtih full retail prices, but was also quick to say that they'd bundle it up for me. I can't remember the exact details but think I ended up $4-5k less than list price all up. I did NOT do the clutch (yet) - will see how it runs without it first. I also don't do anything super hardcore, so any performance difference will probably be minimal for me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know the rig you are talking about. I saw it too. I am with mega on the wheels and spacers. FWIW, you could probably have UTV inc do something similar since you are in the valley. The first thing that i would look at is where you ride and how. Dunes? If you want the bling and be noticed and dont ride hard, maybe ok. I like to ride mine like it owes me money. The other thing I did not see is an intercom/radio set up. Makes the ride experience a ton better when you are with friends or even just being able to talk to your victims,,,,, errrr... i mean passengers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It comes down to personality. If you are one that likes to install their own parts and see a build come together (me) buy a stocker and do it yourself. If you aren't price out what you want from utv inc or one of the other builders/retailers and see what price they give you. Then compare that with the price they have at the stealership and beat them up on their price

1 - 20 of 27 Posts