Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time finding 5w-40 in any brand of oil other than Castrol. I was wondering if I could use royal purple 0w-40 in the place of 5w-40. I think I have guys on other forums use it, but wasn't for sure if it would be compatible. It is more available. Just curios didnt want to destroy my motor.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yes you can run it. I run Royal Purple in all of my powersports toys including my Maverick. It's good shit and easy to find.
Wal-Mart actually caries full Synthetic Mobil 1 0W-40. It is called European blend and is used exclusively in just about every BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, VW, Audi etc.....A 4qt jug is about $20. It is good stuff.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Wal-Mart actually caries full Synthetic Mobil 1 0W-40. It is called European blend and is used exclusively in just about every BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, VW, Audi etc.....A 4qt jug is about $20. It is good stuff.
That's a great deal. I like the Royal Purple better because it's as good as the Mobil One but its a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
That's a great deal. I like the Royal Purple better because it's as good as the Mobil One but its a bit cheaper.

Yea, it's really cheap for a full synthetic oil. 5 years ago you had to purchase it directly from the dealership or order it on line at $12 a qt. Now that 99% of all european cars use it, it is commonplace and readily avaialble.

Here it is for less than $5 a qt....

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=mobil+1&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Not a problem.......I think you can get 2 oil changes out of a 5qt jug. So that is less than $13 per oil change....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks to all, I think I will go royal purple all the way around 0w-40 for the engine, 75w-90 for front and rear diffs, and 75w-140 for the gear box. Maybe after I get some experience under my belt I ll hand out some info on how to manage ones ride

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Well thanks to all, I think I will go royal purple all the way around 0w-40 for the engine, 75w-90 for front and rear diffs, and 75w-140 for the gear box. Maybe after I get some experience under my belt I ll hand out some info on how to manage ones ride
good product…you can't go wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts