Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some gauges (oil pressure, water temp, voltage, belt temp) and was wondering what others are getting for oil pressure. Here is what I am seeing:

- Cold engine at idle 50psi
- Hot engine at idle 25psi
- Cold engine off idle (4-7K rpm) 55-62psi
- Hot engine off idle (4-7K rpm) 43-55psi

Do these numbers look "normal"....especially the pressure at idle when the engine is hot. For what it is worth, I am running a mechanical pressure gauge and not an electronic unit.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Don't know the specs for a rotax but 25 psi warm at idle sounds about right. Would like to see it a lil higher but compared to anything else I would say it is fine.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That's about right, thicker oil will help a little.

I made some high volume pumps (30%) for these motors, I run them in my machines, drag only. They'll hold over 100psi hot, around 7000rpms. I was gonna try & sell em, but they eat up the plastic pump gears after some time.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys....just wanted a sanity check on the pressure at idle....I wanted to make sure my mechanical gauge was accurate. I picked up a set of 3 Sunpro gauges on Jegs for $19.95....can't beat the price...

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks....I thought long and hard about relocating the starter button down there instead and putting the belt temp gauge up higher. Too late now :crazy: Location is critical as there is not much room for error when cutting the hole because any further right and you will hit the intake plenum. Any further left and you will hit the coils.....Where it is now, it has no clearance issues. The only thing I had to do was trim the lip on the center console trim piece that tucks up under the instrument panel....

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's about right, thicker oil will help a little.

I made some high volume pumps (30%) for these motors, I run them in my machines, drag only. They'll hold over 100psi hot, around 7000rpms. I was gonna try & sell em, but they eat up the plastic pump gears after some time.
Thanks for the feedback…..what oil brand and viscosity do you recommend for use in the summer on the Mavericks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
where did you tap into the motor for the oil sending unit? is there a blank plug or do I have to drill and tap I did the same gauge set up

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a plug in the case in the top middle directly between both cylinders….

Oil Pressure Plug.jpg

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Thanks....I thought long and hard about relocating the starter button down there instead and putting the belt temp gauge up higher. Too late now :crazy: Location is critical as there is not much room for error when cutting the hole because any further right and you will hit the intake plenum. Any further left and you will hit the coils.....Where it is now, it has no clearance issues. The only thing I had to do was trim the lip on the center console trim piece that tucks up under the instrument panel....
Curious....so why didn't you relocate the starter button?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curious....so why didn't you relocate the starter button?
it was just easier to put the gauge down there than to relocate the starter button and install a gauge.....plus I think having a gauge in the middle of a key and a power outlet would have looked a bit odd due to the size difference......just personal preference really.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I agree. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing but like you I didn't think it would look aesthetically nice.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing but like you I didn't think it would look aesthetically nice.
yea, I am kind of OCD about that kind of stuff :crazy:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a belt temp gauge down there. I found myself forgetting to pay attention to it because it was so far out of my line of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse my fat finger syndrome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts