Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were riding the CanAm and all the sudden lost power and got a low voltage warning. Thinking I just had a bad battery, I limped it back home and put a new battery in it. Fired right up and back to full power, for about 15 minutes and I got the low voltage warning again. After watching a YouTube about how to test the stator, I found the windings had an open lead and I needed to change the stator. Not too bad of a project to take on so I ordered a new on and began the process. While removing the crank case housing, I did pull the oil pressure regulator by mistake but inspected it while it was out, spring is in good shape and no debris in it. Reassembled everything, put a new gasket around the housing, installed new oil but not a new oil filter yet because I hadn't ordered one. Planned to change the oil filter and oil again once I could get those in.

When I fired the engine up, I quickly got a low oil pressure warning and the engine went into limp mode. I double checked to make sure there was sufficient oil in it. Thinking I must have put something back in the wrong place, I drained the oil, took it all back apart, check the regulator, gasket, gears, everything I could think of. It all looked good so I put it back together and put the oil back in it. Fired it up again and the same problem. So I pulled the oil pressure sensor and turned the engine over a few times to see if I was getting any oil to that point, nothing at all. I went back further in the system, pulled the oil filter which definintely needs to be changed but wasn't bad enough it should be plugged up. While having the oil filter out, again I turned the engine over a few times to see if oil was flowing to the filter, nothing again.

At this point, I'm pointing to the oil pump but it's quite a bit of work and requires some tools I don't have to get everything off to get access to it. I'm willing to buy the tools if I must but I'm really questining why everything worked perfectly fine before changing the stator out and now all the sudden I have no oil pressure in my system. I was hoping someone might have seen this before and be able to point me in the right direction.

Also, it was suggested that these oil pumps have plastic gears in them and they wear out..but I can't seem to find where to order any of them from. If that's what I need, guideance there would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for all your time and input in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would start by looking at the regulator again. You touched something in there to stop the oil flow. Post pics of the disassembly, we may see something you have missed. Fresh eyes always help.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Oil pressure regulator? or Oil pressure relieve valve?
Does it have a ball or piston with a spring? is the spring on the correct site of ball or piston?

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I just looked at the RM website, and it looks like the stator, tarter and oil pump are all on the same drive system.
Is it possible that during assembly something did not get engaged properly?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input everyone. I was out of town and just got back and able to work on my project again. Reading through the manual, I've found that I am missing the Pressure regulator valve from the center of the spring. Apparently I did not notice it when it fell out as I was pulling everything apart but for the life of me I cannot find where it fell to. I'm posting the picture from my manual for reference. Part #5 in the image. I have parts 1-4 still together.

Through some simple Google searches, I can't find a place to purchase a replacement part or even an oil pressure regulator assembly to replace the entire unit. Does anyone have a site or dealer they could reference me to?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to find the valve and got it put back in. New oil and filter in it and then fired it up. Got the maintenance required/limp mode notification but read that's normal after an oil change. Ran the engine for a bit and took it for a drive around the block and once the oil got flowing, the check engine light when off and RPM's kicked in and she ran like a champ! Working on putting everything back together and some mother minor maintenance before ready to roll. I do appreciate everyone's help working through the process!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts