Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys anyone find oil in the airbox? I have a S&B particle separator on my 2020 X3 base model. It has just over 1000 miles on it. I have been keeping a eye on the air filter to see how well the S&B is working. checking the filter every 100 to 200 miles. I took 180 mile ride last weekend so I pulled the air filter to find a small amount of oil in the breather box. It was absolutely coming from the intake side of the filter. I checked the engine oil level and it is exactly where it should be. The filter was a little dusty but I don't think it was plugged up. Any thoughts or experiences with this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I found the same thing a few months ago before remembering to empty my catch can You are seeing normal blow by that a catch can will help trap, otherwise it can pool in the intercooler and does soil the air cleaner. Probably not a huge deal either way, but if you don't want to see it add a can.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
899 Posts
You need an oil catch can, you don't need one 100%. Most cars don't run them, but I like one because it keeps the blow-by oil out of the intake....

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
71 Posts
Overfilling oil could cause that. A plugged up air filter could cause enough vacuum for the turbo to pull some oil out of the motor as well I think. Not sure if a partical separator could contribute as well. Never had one.

I have only a couple months experience with these machines myself so there are smarter people than me on here to chime in.

I had a slight oily film just in front of the turbo as well. But never would have noticed if I didn't stick my hand up there. But definitely not to the point it's in the airbox like yourself. I havnt worried about it too much to be honest lol. Yet...

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
71 Posts
I'm not familiar with the catch can. Where what how do you get em?

Edit: didn't take me long to find em...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aftermarket Assassins makes a nice one that I use. You need engine vacuum to pull crank case pressure from engine. AAs can allows that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the same thing a few months ago before remembering to empty my catch can You are seeing normal blow by that a catch can will help trap, otherwise it can pool in the intercooler and does soil the air cleaner. Probably not a huge deal either way, but if you don't want to see it add a can.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ok thanks but the base model doesn't have a intercooler.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's a sealed can with two hose fittings that goes between the vent hose coming off the corner of the valve cover, (passenger side), the other end runs to the intake boot between the turbo and air box...

I got one from Amazon, a nice trick it to mount it slightly lower than the valve cover, so that whatever condenses, runs back to the can. And also, get a stainless steel scrubber pad, it's not like steel wool, expand it and use it as a filter media, it gives the oil vapor a lot more surface area to stick to and condense on. It just fits loosely in the can, but it won't break up and go into the intake etc...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Conan7190 said:
You need engine vacuum to pull crank case pressure from engine.

Might want to check that science...
If there is pressure already, drawing a vacuum isn't necessary. I might not even end up routing it to the intake area at all; just vent and clean it when needed.

·
Registered
870 Posts
So I'd like to chime in as my buddy has told me his RC gets oiled over in the airbox. I'm thinking it's over filled but the vent line I'm seeing that everyone is tapping into for catch cans goes into the intake boot. It'd oil the inside of the filter first, but vacuum alone would limit how much of the filter would get covered. His entire filter gets covered. So it leads me to believe that little line that plugs into the airbox is burping a bunch of oil vapor, or actual droplets. I pulled my 18's airbox last week and don't have much but a drip line of oil in the intake boot, from the big hose that the catch can will be connected to tomorrow. Anyone know what that little hose goes to?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts