Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stuck this weekend in a hole on the side of a hill almost straight up and down and slightly leaned to the driver side. Took about 5 minutes to get pulled out and immediatly after getting flat on the ground again my rig started burning out a ton of oil smoke. Took about 10 minutes of full throttle riding to clean it out but after that it ran fine. Anyone else had this happen? Kind of surprised me but I can understand why it happened. Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Did you shut it down while stuck at that angle? Typically if I get any machine at an extreme angle for any length of time, I will leaving it off for a while once I get it level again to give the oil that will flood areas in the motor that only get oil from the pump under normal operation a chance to drain back down. It doesn't take much oil in a hot exhaust to make a lot of smoke.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
exactly...you had too much oil in the rear cylinder head and it got into the combustion chamber when you fired it back up......you should be OK but you might want to check your plugs...and oil level.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
exactly...you had too much oil in the rear cylinder head and it got into the combustion chamber when you fired it back up......you should be OK but you might want to check your plugs...and oil level.
X2.
Also,It is a good idea to let it sit for a whiel so the oil can drain back into the bottom of the motor. Not a good idea to run it for very long if there is a lot oil in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the light never came on and it started fine, not hard to crank like hydro lock or anything. Just seemed like it got in there a litttle to easy.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yeah, the light never came on and it started fine, not hard to crank like hydro lock or anything. Just seemed like it got in there a litttle to easy.
No, its normal......the top of the engine is lubricated via the oil pump and has a gravity drain back to the crankcase. Based on the angle you said you were at and the V-twin design of the engine......the rear cylinder would have been below the crankcase and all of the oil would have went into the head. Had you got it onto flat ground and let it sit for a few minutes, the oil would have drained back into the crankcase....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts