Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the filter today and it had what looks like the remains of a rubber gasket. Is there an additional gasket that goes in between the filter and the maverick other the the oring that's in the filter in the second picture? I've only changed the oil once and I can't remember.

Old filter

New filter

·
Registered
177 Posts
it's hard to see in the pict. I would say that filter may have had a seal lip. or extra sealing lip that went over the oring. is it still attached to the filter? if so don't worry about it, when you pulled it out it may have tore it lose. just make sure after pulling it that there is no pieces still in the housing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seemed to go in there nice and snug without the seal in the first picture. But now I'm starting to worry myself that it's not getting a correct seal.

On the Mrrpm website it also shows a removable seal on the filter. Is the OEM maverick filter the same way? MrRPM

The filter I got was from Rocky Mountain but for the Maverick.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I purchased K&N oil filters from Rocky Mountain and they had the seal on them just like the OEM filter I replaced had it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw they had them. I went on k&n's website though and they don't show they make one for it.

I think I'm just going to give Mrrpm a call tomorrow and see if he has an adapter ready to ship and just go that route. I assume I still need that seal from a stock filter regardless though.

For anyone looking for oil filters, do not buy these from rocky Mountain. They do not come with the same seal type as the OEM.
Tusk First Line Oil Filter | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I saw they had them. I went on k&n's website though and they don't show they make one for it.

I think I'm just going to give Mrrpm a call tomorrow and see if he has an adapter ready to ship and just go that route. I assume I still need that seal from a stock filter regardless though.

For anyone looking for oil filters, do not buy these from rocky Mountain. They do not come with the same seal type as the OEM.
The KN oil filter P/N is KN-152. The HiFlo brand is HF152.

I compared the KN oil filter to the OEM I removed and they were both the same size and same style seal.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

Yes, you will need the seal from the oil filter. I noticed that Rocky Mountain doesn't seem to show the manufacturer's P/N in the product details so can't confirm if the oil filter is correct online.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate the pics and help to confirm my suspicions MiMav.

I will just order a filter and call Mrrpm. If he doesn't have the adapter ready, then I will just run the OEM style filter.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
No problem. Glad I could help. If you are real uneasy about the oil filter, buy one from the dealer. I did check K&N's website and you are right about it not showing any oil filter for the Maverick but it does show the filter for the Commander. Both Commander and Maverick use the same engine, at least base engine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mrrpm spin on adapter. Problem solved.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mrrpm spin on adapter. Problem solved.
In a way, yes. But the whole reason I wanted the adapter was for a no mess filter change. Then I realized that the adapter doesn't do that unless you get the remote that is double the price. Then you have to get lines and figure out a place to relocate it to. After all that, now you have a higher risk of rubbing through or cutting a line and losing oil pressure.

I'm going to get the adapter, but I don't think it's a necessity like some have made it out to be. And yes I realize I'm slightly arguing against myself lol

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Routing the lines properly would reduce or eliminate the chance of chaffing the lines. That's not a big deal. The advantage of added oil capacity is the major benefit.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I guess it depends on whether you take the skid plate off to service or not. It is not a squeaky clean change, but with the skid off, it isn't too bad with the regular adapter. I still have the stock skid plate and it is faster to remove that with the cordless impact driver than to pull all the plastic off the floor. I just drive it up 2 sets of ramps to work on the underside. Plenty of room.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
No worries about rubbing if you get braided lines...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No worries about rubbing if you get braided lines...
I've had second thoughts on the Mrrpm setup for warranty reasons also. If it burns up a motor, brp could point at the adapter as the result if they really wanted to. You know Polaris would if they had the chance.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Some filters have an O-ring to seal against the block, some have a stock style seal. I use an OEM seal on my adapters, for a good fit. K&N used to use an O-ring for a seal, but it looks like they have changed that.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I've had second thoughts on the Mrrpm setup for warranty reasons also. If it burns up a motor, brp could point at the adapter as the result if they really wanted to. You know Polaris would if they had the chance.
Nothing you couldn't put back to stock before taking in for warranty work if needed. What are your concerns? The adapter is a machined piece with no moving parts to fail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts