Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000R
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all I'm aproching 1,200 Miles on my 2020 Maverick Sport 1000R, what is recommended for the first service? Also is it by Miles or Hours this is new to me and heard all kinds of diffrent things, TIA

Note - I have not done anything yet, am I past due?

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
792 Posts
You are likely to reach milage before hours for an oil change interval.

Being a new motor you are at about the point you want to change it.

As far as when to do what maintenance your owners manual has that information listed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
if you read your owners manual it tells you these things. i pulled this off the can am website in about 2 minutes. if you do some research first, you would find that most do this way ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did read it however like you said ahead of schedule I did read every where possible but I like the convineance of being able to speak to you all here, had I known prior that what I read on the internet was completly true I wouldn't have posted here, sorry about that...

if you read your owners manual it tells you these things. i pulled this off the can am website in about 2 minutes. if you do some research first, you would find that most do this way ahead of schedule.

View attachment 258244

·
Registered
403 Posts
then i misunderstood your question. there has been lots of discussion on break in procedures and first service. i am old school and firm believer in maintenance. to some extent i probably change my oil too soon, but clean filters / oils / grease and your rig will take care of you. although i am an old, slow trail rider, i did my first oil change at about the 750 mile mark. had a big trip planned and figured i would cross the 1000 mile mark during the trip, so just did it early. i follow the extreme schedule just for good measure. i don't think there was ever an engine failure from oil being too clean.

i know oils (especially synthetic) are much better than 20 years ago, but here is an interesting thought. i have a 2106 camaro. the manual states that if you accidentally reset your oil life, and don't know how many miles is on your current oil, change it in the next 3,000 miles.

its like a lot of other questions on here about oils, grease, tie down straps, insurance, etc. are you really going to not spend $100 to protect a $15k - $20k - $30k toy?

there use to be a member on here that had a standard reply to intro posts. not sure what happened to him, maybe i need to pickup where he left off. wheel bearing grease was a big topic for a while, but lets just go with proper maintenance. since you bought new, crawl all over the thing looking for loose bolts - another popular topic at one time. and spend $25 to get a good manual. i did and best money i spent. i think this manual is 1800 pages or so (don't have it with me at the moment). start your questions with "according to the manual...." or "from forums..." this shows you have put some time and effort into researching your question. the advance search on here is ok, going to google and search with adding maverick forums to the end usually yields better results for your search. and will help eliminate the same question / same basic question being asked that older members have seen time and time again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buddy I sure appreciate your honesty, Yes I see now how it could be misleading, unlike a lot of my generation keep in mind I'm in early 20's I'm a research nerd, I go to full extent before just breaking down and saying "how do I, Should I" type stuff, I like figuring it out myself, Don't be surprised if you hear from me again, thank you for the information friend...

then i misunderstood your question. there has been lots of discussion on break in procedures and first service. i am old school and firm believer in maintenance. to some extent i probably change my oil too soon, but clean filters / oils / grease and your rig will take care of you. although i am an old, slow trail rider, i did my first oil change at about the 750 mile mark. had a big trip planned and figured i would cross the 1000 mile mark during the trip, so just did it early. i follow the extreme schedule just for good measure. i don't think there was ever an engine failure from oil being too clean.

i know oils (especially synthetic) are much better than 20 years ago, but here is an interesting thought. i have a 2106 camaro. the manual states that if you accidentally reset your oil life, and don't know how many miles is on your current oil, change it in the next 3,000 miles.

its like a lot of other questions on here about oils, grease, tie down straps, insurance, etc. are you really going to not spend $100 to protect a $15k - $20k - $30k toy?

there use to be a member on here that had a standard reply to intro posts. not sure what happened to him, maybe i need to pickup where he left off. wheel bearing grease was a big topic for a while, but lets just go with proper maintenance. since you bought new, crawl all over the thing looking for loose bolts - another popular topic at one time. and spend $25 to get a good manual. i did and best money i spent. i think this manual is 1800 pages or so (don't have it with me at the moment). start your questions with "according to the manual...." or "from forums..." this shows you have put some time and effort into researching your question. the advance search on here is ok, going to google and search with adding maverick forums to the end usually yields better results for your search. and will help eliminate the same question / same basic question being asked that older members have seen time and time again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Buddy I sure appreciate your honesty, Yes I see now how it could be misleading, unlike a lot of my generation keep in mind I'm in early 20's I'm a research nerd, I go to full extent before just breaking down and saying "how do I, Should I" type stuff, I like figuring it out myself, Don't be surprised if you hear from me again, thank you for the information friend...

Brpmanuals.com
You can buy and download that 1800pg manual. I’ve got it saved in a one drive file so I can open it anytime I need to. Sometimes it’s a pain to go through especially on your phone but it’s damn nice to have in your hand while looking at your ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got yesterday!!! I,m gonna bite the bullet and print the whole thing, Yes I am going to be totaling a lot of trees out, sooo... LOL
I am more of a hands on guy I'm younger but I can hardly navigate a phone paper is easier.

Brpmanuals.com
You can buy and download that 1800pg manual. I’ve got it saved in a one drive file so I can open it anytime I need to. Sometimes it’s a pain to go through especially on your phone but it’s damn nice to have in your hand while looking at your ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got yesterday!!! I,m gonna bite the bullet and print the whole thing, Yes I am going to be totaling a lot of trees out, sooo... LOL
I am more of a hands on guy I'm younger but I can hardly navigate a phone paper is easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m with ya, I’m just don’t want to kill the printer in the process. It’s a good manual to have as txrider said about loose bolts that’s where I found all my torque specs (and yes not a one on the front suspension was at torque). It’ll save a lot of headache having on hand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the plan, I never travel to far out from factory spec with my rides, I think I might with this Maverick, it seems like it can handle it, What do you have?

I’m with ya, I’m just don’t want to kill the printer in the process. It’s a good manual to have as txrider said about loose bolts that’s where I found all my torque specs (and yes not a one on the front suspension was at torque). It’ll save a lot of headache having on hand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is the plan, I never travel to far out from factory spec with my rides, I think I might with this Maverick, it seems like it can handle it, What do you have?
‘19 Sport Max 1000R, seems like they can take a lot without making massive changes. I finally ordered a set of 30’s for mine this morning. I think that’ll give me all the extra height I need without suspension work. I have removed the front sway bar and disconnected the rear, it makes a big difference on the trails. Though I wish someone would make quick links for the sport, it’s pretty squirrelly on flat ground at speed now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you have 14' right because I cant find anything for the factory 12"s above 28's.... It's a bummer.

‘19 Sport Max 1000R, seems like they can take a lot without making massive changes. I finally ordered a set of 30’s for mine this morning. I think that’ll give me all the extra height I need without suspension work. I have removed the front sway bar and disconnected the rear, it makes a big difference on the trails. Though I wish someone would make quick links for the sport, it’s pretty squirrelly on flat ground at speed now.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
792 Posts
Printing that whole manual is kind of insane. At least half of the pages will be useless.

Buy a cheap Galaxy Tablet or whatever. Download your manuals onto it. Download Google maps offline. Put offroad GPS apps on it etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not gonna lie to you, I had never thought of that... oops

Printing that whole manual is kind of insane. At least half of the pages will be useless.

Buy a cheap Galaxy Tablet or whatever. Download your manuals onto it. Download Google maps offline. Put offroad GPS apps on it etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry guys we got a little off topic for a bit. I’ll say in my personal experience with boats/tractors/heavy equipment/etc and the fact that I primarily trail ride at fairly slow speeds. I will be most definitely be running my buggy on an hourly interval for PM. My buggy doesn’t run near like my truck, there’s a ton of slow speed in mine so therefore mileage would mean I’d change oil every 2-3yrs I think it’s a decision you have to make based on your particular riding/use style.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts