Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new x3 xrs. Getting ready for oil change and wondering about which oil to use besides the can am oil. Seen a video on YouTube and they used rotella t 6 oil. What's everyone else using other than can am oil. Thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Rotella T6 is an excellent choice. I have been using the Mobil 1 equivalent.

While you are at it, do the rivnut conversion for the skid plate.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
I use Rotella T6 Synthetic in everything, it's a great oil. But it's your car, use what you want. If you haven't done it, I would suggest drilling out your skid plate rivets, and installing Rivnuts. Dropping the skid makes the whole oil change process 100% easier, and 100% less messy. If you haven't, well...….. you'll find out.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Probably 50+ threads to find regarding oil and oil changing tips & tricks. Lot's of options and helpful suggestions to be found using the SEARCH function.

Oil opinions are many, best use a FULL Synthetic oil such as Amsoil or the others mentioned. Changing your oil & filter frequently is one of the best preventive maintenance tasks you can perform, especially on a high performance engine.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rivnut

Rotella T6 is an excellent choice. I have been using the Mobil 1 equivalent.

While you are at it, do the rivnut conversion for the skid plate.

What size and where did you get rivnut conversion? Thanks OOPS just did a rivnut search and see some answers.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
What size and where did you get rivnut conversion? Thanks OOPS just did a rivnut search and see some answers.
You can find rivnut kits on amazon or ebay Id use 6mm myself But the kits usually come with a variety of sizes

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Royella it is. Which weight would be best. I ride in weather 30 to 100. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Royella it is. Which weight would be best. I ride in weather 30 to 100. Thanks guys.
What "weight" oil do you run in your truck / car ? No difference.
A 20 - 50 blend usually will work almost anywhere, just as long as you always let your engine warm up (allowing the oil to reach the top end of your engine) every time you "cold start" your vehicles.

What hurts engines is when individuals just crank the engine until it starts then soon after throw it in gear. See it happen all the time. But if the vehicle has only been sitting for a short period of time, everything important should still be lubricated (did I just contradict myself) ???

Pure synthetic oil is always your best choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a related question. Where can you buy the filter and two o rings? Not being able to find these is forcing me to get the brp kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may use the 0/40 Mobil one full synthetic. It’s 22 for a gallon at wal mart. Need an extended hose to reach fill. spout

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
obably 50+ threads to find regarding oil and oil changing tips & tricks. Lot's of options and helpful suggestions to be found using the SEARCH function.
Oil opinions are many, best use a FULL Synthetic oil such as Amsoil or the others mentioned. Changing your oil & filter frequently is one of the best preventive maintenance tasks you can perform, especially on a high performance engine. Hope that helps.Every post I seem to make someone brings to my attention that this site offers a search button. From now on. There should be no new posts because I’m sure every topic has been discussed atleast once.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
I have a related question. Where can you buy the filter and two o rings? Not being able to find these is forcing me to get the brp kit.

Try Rocky Mountain. I don't think you'll find it cheaper.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Read the owners manual and it will tell you what weight oil and how often you should be changing you oil. You want to change your oil more often go for it.

I just get the BRP oil change kit on Rocky Mountain. Comes with the o-rings and new crush washers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts