Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sort of hijacked another thread with this info so I thought I would post it here regarding our trip with Off the Grid Expeditions.

We did the Tensor Tire Trip, which is 4 days and three nights. Meeting at the Tecate Border crossing, our group parked on the US side and drove our cars (16 in total) across the border.

Off the Grid had three of their X3’s and chase truck go across with us.

Connor (the owner of Off the Grid) was great and leads all of their trips and pre-runs the routes beforehand. Is team was great and able to handle any issue on the trail. Even this:

We had 3 rollovers on our trip (this guy bent his A-arm) and they were able to get him back on the trail to finish the day. Back at the hotel they replaced his A-arm for him.

They have a couple guys (Pedro and Ivan) who live in Baja and were with us as support on the trip.
I brought my son with me (he’s 11) and everyone was so great to him, as he was the only kid on the trip.

Hotel accommodations were very “Baja Mexico”, if that makes sense.
We found out Mike’s Sky Ranch shuts the power off at 11pm. Family that runs the hotel was great, and our group were basically the only ones staying there that night.

The day riding on the beach was great, never could do that before!

Night 2 we stayed at the Old Mill and had dinner. Cool old fishing town.

Third day was the longest, with about 12 hours in the car (many stops) and 200 miles. Long day, realized I should have bought better lights, as my cheap light bar proved worthless in the dark.

Last night was spent at the Horsepower Ranch in Ensenada.

As long as you have an X3, you are all set with them. They literally carry on their cars (and chase truck) almost any part needed for a repair. I saw them replace an axle, replace missing radius rod bolts, change belts, etc right on the trail.
The only car they had to trailer home was a RZR that was having clutch issues. (It didn’t seem like they carried parts for RZR’s)
The only other RZR was a brand new Turbo S that had problems the whole time. (Would not shift into 4wd/suspension was not adjusting, ride command screen just kept scrolling). Felt bad for him, as the car was still new.

Half of the people on the trip had gone before, and three of them had already booked the 7 day, 1300 mile trip to Cabo. (not sure if I’d be ready for that one, lol)

Ok, so here was the total damage list to my car:
Bent radius rod. (i was the only one with stock ones)
These are getting replaced.
Radio issues. (lots of engine feedback when receiving) think this was due to all the water we hit. Looking into moving placement of radio
Lost my gas cap trim cover to Baja!
One flat tire
One broken belt (that busted the housing, of course)
Lights were worthless. Going with a KC Highliter setup
Car went into limp mode on the final couple miles. (Not sure what happened here, but am getting it checked out)
Off road trails were amazing, views were great. Really put the car to the test. Blazing down trails at 65mph was a blast! Had to keep an eye out for cows, donkeys, sheep, etc

When all was said and done I asked my son what he liked most about our trip. He said “the people” we went with. Very cool.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Couple more pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
The pic of your kid in the sombrero is priceless! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: EODAZ

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
F2B6DCD9-AC25-465C-B5FA-88D35E297440.jpeg F2B6DCD9-AC25-465C-B5FA-88D35E297440.jpeg Sounds like you had a great time, Ill tell you the cabo trip seems like a long ride but its not realy, I was lucky enouph to be invited in 17 to pre run the 1000 course we left ensenada and ran all the way to La Paz ,best trip of my life It was long days and dident get to do much sight seeing at 60+ but still had a great time and did see some amazing landscapes,rivers(theres a lot of water in baja) and also old churches/missions if you do the trip youll be glad you did , we shipped our cars back up to the border 260.00 us each we started with 5 motorcycles and 5 sxs’s only my xp and my friends brand new x3 made the whole trip i car turned around after day 1 1 went on the trailer day 2 and 1 took a day off and had his car hauled to the next overnite stop Id go again in a heart beat church was built back in the 1600’s pretty awsome stuff + cant beet the taco’s

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Looks like a great trip!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for this write up! Its on my bucket list. I was eyeing the Tensor trip.

Does seem like alot of carnage though! I baby my X3. Not sure I can put her thru the paces like that. Lol

I feel like its totally worth it for a lifetime of memories!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey go flight, my wife and I leave for the 1300 mile trip on May 27th. Any advice?

I've raced in the 1000 several years ago, and done several 3-4 day trips in Utah, but never something this long in Baja.

What spare parts should I bring? Trail food/drinks? Cash?

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
When we ran the baja ,I hade my cooler with water, I brought 3 cases and kept on the chase truck to refill my cooler, beef jerky and gfanola bars for snackd and for cash exchanged before crossing the border its way easier to pay in peso’s , bring american , (I like 100.00 bills) so it takes up less space and had a money belt with 300 in it and a fake diet dr pepper can with a 1000.00 just for an emergency, I had 1400.00 swithed to pesos wich I stashed in my carry bag , try not to carry a big wad in your pocket, Id usally have 2 500 peso notes and 10 100. Peso notes , one thing thats expensive in mexico is fuel it will cost almost 900 peso’s for a tank of 91 go and have a blast if you go over your car and do a serice on it Id install a new belt and keep the old as 1 of your spares we rand the whole course from ensenada to la paz On the belt I started with I also put new tires on and put tireject sealer in them , never had a flat or low tire but did get a couple screws in a tire I removed , I go a little crazy on spares I took axles axle boots, bearings ball joints, tie rod ends and hymes for my radious rods along with a couple voltage regulators , break pads etc a complete primary and secondary clutches with tools to work on the clutches i had it all in a big rolling dewalt job box and had it on the trailer of the chase truck, but like I said I get a little nuts , I figure if you have it you wont need it also zip ties and some thick pipe wrap tape (works wonders) again your gonna have the best time of your life

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
When we ran the baja ,I hade my cooler with water, I brought 3 cases and kept on the chase truck to refill my cooler, beef jerky and gfanola bars for snackd and for cash exchanged before crossing the border its way easier to pay in peso’s , bring american , (I like 100.00 bills) so it takes up less space and had a money belt with 300 in it and a fake diet dr pepper can with a 1000.00 just for an emergency, I had 1400.00 swithed to pesos wich I stashed in my carry bag , try not to carry a big wad in your pocket, Id usally have 2 500 peso notes and 10 100. Peso notes , one thing thats expensive in mexico is fuel it will cost almost 900 peso’s for a tank of 91 go and have a blast if you go over your car and do a serice on it Id install a new belt and keep the old as 1 of your spares we rand the whole course from ensenada to la paz On the belt I started with I also put new tires on and put tireject sealer in them , never had a flat or low tire but did get a couple screws in a tire I removed , I go a little crazy on spares I took axles axle boots, bearings ball joints, tie rod ends and hymes for my radious rods along with a couple voltage regulators , break pads etc a complete primary and secondary clutches with tools to work on the clutches i had it all in a big rolling dewalt job box and had it on the trailer of the chase truck, but like I said I get a little nuts , I figure if you have it you wont need it also zip ties and some thick pipe wrap tape (works wonders) again your gonna have the best time of your life

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
LOL, I'm just the opposite. Anytime I go to Cabo or Cancun with my nephew, I bring a shitload of singles. Easily around $1000 (10-100 dollar bricks), if not more. When we first started going many, many years ago (like 25), I'd give the bartender a $20, and he would come back with some paper bills and coins, put it in my hand and walk away. We would both look at each other and say "Is that right?", LOL! We had no idea, and still don't. Same with a cab or bus ride. You give them American dollars, if you watch, they don't turn them in. They quickly pull out their own money, put it in for the fare, and pocket the American cash. They must know of a better exchange rate place or something.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Hollywood thats why its easy with peso’s , you go to an xoxo and get a 12 pac of dos xx’s and they ring it up the cash reg. Says 220 so you hand them 300 peso’s and you get 80 back makes it simple instead of them getting a calc out and making up an exchange thentelling you how much in american , Some places like where we park our trucks will tell you 20.00 american for gaurding the trucks for a week so you givem dollars other wise I use pesos , makes it easier for tolls ,gas etc.

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
Hollywood thats why its easy with peso’s , you go to an xoxo and get a 12 pac of dos xx’s and they ring it up the cash reg. Says 220 so you hand them 300 peso’s and you get 80 back makes it simple instead of them getting a calc out and making up an exchange thentelling you how much in american , Some places like where we park our trucks will tell you 20.00 american for gaurding the trucks for a week so you givem dollars other wise I use pesos , makes it easier for tolls ,gas etc.
I know but........

I've been going to Mexico for at least 25 years, and I still don't know the currency. Some of their coins are the same as paper bills? When we walk into a bar, they usually have the xchange rate up on the wall, and IDK, if it says 2 beers whatever pesos, or $6.35 American, I usually just give them $7.00, and call it good, LOL!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I broke my first belt ever (car had 850 miles on it) within the first mile of being in Mexico. After that, no issues. (belt-wise)

If you are wanting to "baby your Baby" then this trip might not be for you! LOL I was crazy surprised at what these cars can actually do! After 500 plus hard miles, the car performed like a champ! Clearly, I wasn't pushing it as hard as I could have in the past. No real damage, but ALOT of mud and dirt! I listed some of the things I had issues with earlier in the post. Nothing happened that prevented me from enjoying the trip.

As far as taking your wife on a 1300 mile Baja trip? Congrats, My Friend, your wife is WAY more adventerous than mine!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Off the Grid has literally every part for an X3 repair with them. I was really impressed with this. Some guys brought extra axles and other things, but they literally had every part on either their cars (on the trail with you) or on the Chase Truck.

As far as cash, OTG recomends you bring $2k. This is really for "worst case scenerio". When I got home and counted my cash, I spent a total of $400. This included gas, lunch, parking at the border, hat and t-shirt from Horsepower Ranch and a poncho for my kid!

·
Premium Member
12,177 Posts
Off the Grid has literally every part for an X3 repair with them. I was really impressed with this. Some guys brought extra axles and other things, but they literally had every part on either their cars (on the trail with you) or on the Chase Truck.

As far as cash, OTG recomends you bring $2k. This is really for "worst case scenerio". When I got home and counted my cash, I spent a total of $400. This included gas, lunch, parking at the border, hat and t-shirt from Horsepower Ranch and a poncho for my kid!
Say you break an axle. How much do they charge?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nothing. They fixed it right there. Part of their deal.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They gave the one guy in the rollover pic a new stock A-arm to get him back rolling again.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts