Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an OEM Intercooler off of a 172 hp model for my 120 hp model. I have a BOV already with exhaust. Do I need to tune my machine just to add the Intercooler and fan? I'm just looking to get more airflow and keep the turbo cool since the 120 hp models don't have all the cool stuff to do so. Any and all responses appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah you’ll want to tune it some way. If you don’t send your ecu to have it written to turbo r spec the fan won’t work by just plugging it in. You’d have to use a fan override switch setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah you’ll want to tune it some way. If you don’t send your ecu to have it written to turbo r spec the fan won’t work by just plugging it in. You’d have to use a fan override switch setup.
Any suggestions on a tune just for adding the intercooler? I'm not looking to gaining a lot of HP since the 120 hp is perfect for what I do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If yours is a 18 or newer you could have one of the tuners just flash your ecu with the stock R tune. Probably need some clutch work too.

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
Do you also have a fan? If not, I have a fan and shroud for sale that will fit that intercooler.

·
Registered
2019 Can Am x3 XMR Turbo
18 Posts
Yes you will want tuning. Depending on who you use you may not need the override switch. I did not need it with mine. You will want to do clutching and upgrade your fuel pump as well so you don't run into issues.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
The cooler dense air from the intercooler most likely will make it run lean without a tune.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you add the intercooler without changing anything else, it will run just fine. Depending on the ECU configuration the fan may not come on. The cooler air won't affect the tune one bit, otherwise we would all be changing our tunes come winter time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts