Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just broke a bolt on the OEM beadlocks trying for 71 in/lbs. Even after tightening the soap test revealed leaks all the way around the ring.

What have y'all upgraded to? Grade 8 bolts?

Figure that's what I'll use instead.

Sent via fax

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah the stock beadlock bolts are shit. They stretch when you tighten them down. I broke a few of them. Then just decided to upgrade to hiper beadlocks.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
A couple of suggestions. 1st, check to make sure you don't have dirt or sand between the inside of the bead and the wheel. I had to clean mine out once to get it to seal. 2nd try loosening up all the bolts and re-tightening them in the correct sequence.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheels were 100% cleaned and the tires were new. So the stock bolts must be TTY (torque to yield) and not reusable then.

Sent via fax

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
*I don't thinks they are TTY bolts, just crappy.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
if you look at a broken one, they look like a cast piece......no real way to ensure uniform strength and could easily be compromised if there is air in the casting process....I would think the beadlocks themselves are not much better and if you were to use a higher quality bolt you might run the risk of breaking a beadlock ring too if you increase the torque....

·
Registered
61 Posts
The stock bolts are CRAP!!!! I've broken half a dozen messing with them, and yeah... the final outcome is the bolts are junk. So, I've started putting chrome SHCS in their place. Its a cosmetic upgrade and much better bolt. Sure, replacing them with the chrome may cost quite a bit, but damn they look good and the bolts are a huge upgrade.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know the exact size/spec of the OEM bolts? Can't find that info. Looking to buy some ARP bolts.

Sent via fax

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Cant help ya with the bolt specs, but a better grade bolt will help alot. Just remember when tightening to use a spread pattern a little at a time. The rings are also cheap and will crack if you dont tighten them evenly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In contact with ARP to see if they can setup a bolt kit for the OEM wheels. If not I'll get a part number for the correct bolt to order individually.

2014 White/Red XRS-DPS (under the knife at Gforce Engineering)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts