Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the word all over social media is its really happening this time. CA coastal comission is shutting down all OHV activity. I’m not a regular but have been there many times over my life and have a lot of great memories of that place. Sad to see it go. I know the local economy will really suffer from this. There is an online petition but could not find a link. If anyone knows please post it up.

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
I’m born and raised there in pismo, grew up 3 miles from the oceano ramp and the California Pelosi / coastal commission mentality has ruined that bankrupt state and worse they are leaving Cali with their big $$$$ and trying the same BS here in Idaho when they move here. It’s not enough that they have every other inch of beach in the entire state, the snowy plover has population counts in the millions up and down the pacific coastline and OHV people always have to pay their own way for access unlike the Subaru driving hikers, walkers, bike riders, bird viewers, surfers etc.... that all benefit from the paid services we help provide for them from our fees. The brown pit shitters get pumped by the tird ferry and all the boardwalks don’t need maintenance or upkeep. It’s to bad for all the local businesses that will close as a result as you might as well keep driving and go on to either Morro Bay, los osos, Cambria, Santa Barbara or wherever to enjoy the surf or beach life!!

Rant over,

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Done and done

·
Registered
443 Posts
The costal commission is having a meeting on Pismo July 11th on what actions to take not closing it down on the 11th!
Here are some of the changes there staff is recommending to be changed?

Here's a clip of the article to read the full story here's the link....
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/environment/article231911398.html

Some of those initial changes would include:

• Increasing enforcement of all vehicular use limits, speed limits and other vehicular requirements; would also call for additional signs, rangers and parameters for verifying that the number of vehicles in the park doesn’t exceed maximum allowances.
  • Adding fencing to protect coastal resources.
  • Prohibiting night riding from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise.
  • Stopping OHV and camping operations when the Arroyo Grande Creek flows to prevent creek crossings.
  • Reducing vehicular and OHV daily use limits depending on acreage that is available for use that day due to dust control requirements or other exclosures (prohibited areas).
  • Eliminating holiday unlimited vehicular and OHV use exceptions on Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Thanksgiving.
  • Considering entrance modifications that could provide vehicular access to the park while reducing coastal resource impacts.
  • Making 300-acre seasonal endangered special exclosure area permanent and restore the area to natural habitat.
  • Allowing for future closures for required dust control for all areas specified by the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District.
These changes would act as a first step toward eventually phasing out “high-intensity OHV use.”
Carl said this doesn’t necessarily mean all vehicles would be phased out from the park.
“We think a transition that allows for car camping could provide for a really cool feature for the public and for those that like to camp at Oceano Dunes,” he said. “There’s a great history of that.”
All of the recommendations are up to the Coastal Commission, however, Carl noted. They could choose to not implement any of the changes, or could choose to recommend more significant ones to park operations.

If the Commission decides to approve staff recommendation at its upcoming meeting, the ball would then be in State Park’s court for implementation. Carl said the goal would be to have most of the changes in place by October or December.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
The best thing they could do is open back up the 13,500 acres they stole back in 1985. With only 1500 acres is too congested and why there are so many problems.
The good old days of Pismo when you could ride down the beach to Devil's Slide. I grew up going to Pismo and we stopped going right before the took away most of the riding area. I still go every few years and it seems the riding area continues to shrink.

The Coastal Commission has way too much power. Why do we pay the green sticker fees, if they can just come in and close the state designated OHV parks?

My prediction is the riding area will remain and they will limit the amount of people that can use it.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m born and raised there in pismo, grew up 3 miles from the oceano ramp and the California Pelosi / coastal commission mentality has ruined that bankrupt state and worse they are leaving Cali with their big $$$$ and trying the same BS here in Idaho when they move here. It’s not enough that they have every other inch of beach in the entire state, the snowy plover has population counts in the millions up and down the pacific coastline and OHV people always have to pay their own way for access unlike the Subaru driving hikers, walkers, bike riders, bird viewers, surfers etc.... that all benefit from the paid services we help provide for them from our fees. The brown pit shitters get pumped by the tird ferry and all the boardwalks don’t need maintenance or upkeep. It’s to bad for all the local businesses that will close as a result as you might as well keep driving and go on to either Morro Bay, los osos, Cambria, Santa Barbara or wherever to enjoy the surf or beach life!!

Rant over,

Didn’t know you were a CA boy. When did you escape Commifornia Matt?

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Didn’t know you were a CA boy. When did you escape Commifornia Matt?
yep, I'm from the C-word. Grew up in Pismo, had a 76' chevy shortbed 4x4 in high school and was out there all the time, way before the rangers got hummers and funco's. Back then they never left the beach for the most part. I would help pull people and their campers out for beer. I left north cali in 97' for vegas, back for a bit in 06-07, Idaho ever since. Miss some things for sure but don't miss the politics, crappy roads, high taxes and registration fees, sierra club or the POS coastal commission. The only way that state will see change is when all of those Hippocrates are 6' under starting with Pelosi who somehow is worth $130 million and Feinstein who is worth $80, all at the expense of the taxpayers that keep voting them in.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It is disgusting what the coastal commission and "some ppl" have done to this place. The trash is unbelievable on a Sunday afternoon. Been going here since I was in diapers riding up Devils Slide in the dark in a Pinto buggy with my Pops. My kids have been every year they have been alive, 8 days a summer; TILL LAST YEAR...... I QUIT. The rangers have lost control of that place due to staffing (talked to many of them) and the AHOLES that trash the beach and disregard the laws. Reminiscent of Glamis Y2K days. Sucks. Gonna probably resemble the Oregon dunes as far as use. Camping on the beach probably gone before I die. Glad I got great memories. Hey CA Politicians; taking my retirement and walking. Enjoy the sh!thole you are creating. San Fran pun intended. My rant complete.

Pops photo- 1980

1980-2 Slide 1 Pismo.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
The problem is they stack tons of people in a place that has shrunk to 5% of its original size so everybody is stacked on each other. If they had off dune camping and people just rode there maybe it would feel bigger like oregon and that would reduce the mess made by the campers, but there isnt enough off beach camp areas to support the volume of people that want to go there . There is a road next to the creek that the rangers use during high tide and also goes to the horse stables that has a campground. There is also back road near oso flaco that could support additional camp areas. Again, they have every single beach in the entire state and now they are focused on taking the last one that is already reduced to nothing and the people that use it pay their way unlike any other beach in the state. I quit going there years ago and have no regrets, the other dunes in the west are much better, have more room and for the most part are much taller.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I think the state parks make a good amount of cash off pismo and want to keep it open , have some plans of their own
https://www.noozhawk.com/article/guadalupe_council_airs_concerns_about_possible_new_oceano_dunes_entrance?utm_source=Noozhawk&utm_campaign=938c95a72e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_03_18_03_36_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9ec8acd2c4-938c95a72e-247226113

possibly even adding new camping area’s Interesting Its funny oceano and pismo concerned one of their ramps might get shut down

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Here is a very good presentation that shows what a bunch of bs the state is slinging , also love the article above about anything goes,ya just try it and see haw many rangers will be on you, Saturday I saw fish and game checking a kids bucket that was digging in the sand in the water, probably making sure he didn't have a clam or any shells
. This guy is good , in the artical they forgot to mention that the off road park used to be about 14000 acres and now they have it squeezed down to about 1350 so gee wonder why its crowded

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Here is a very good presentation that shows what a bunch of bs the state is slinging , also love the article above about anything goes,ya just try it and see haw many rangers will be on you, Saturday I saw fish and game checking a kids bucket that was digging in the sand in the water, probably making sure he didn't have a clam or any shells
. This guy is good , in the artical they forgot to mention that the off road park used to be about 14000 acres and now they have it squeezed down to about 1350 so gee wonder why its crowded
he is def good, hopefully he is helping this time around. I was born there in 73' I also have some pics If I can go through the archives at my parents as I grew up near backside of dunes and could see them from our yard. It was know in the turn of the century local farmers and local government threw grass seed out there to slow down the drifting sand, the grass is not native. The snowy plover cant even survive unless there is absolutely nobody, so they need to close avila, shell, pismo, cambria, cayucus, Monterrey, san jose, santa cruz, morro bay, santa barbara, ventura and all of them down and especially no dogs, basically lets close all the beaches to everyone in the state for the bird!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
They are gonna look at it next oct, so no changes untill after 2020,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts