Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!! My name is Nick and I’m new to the forum. I have read many of these threads trying to see if I can find anything previously posted to help me. I have a 2018 maverick x3 turbo. I bought it used because it has had been previously sunk and the owner didn’t want to deal with fixing it. With the battery charged up and connected I’ve check all relays and fuses in the fuse box also have checked the fuseable links and they are good too. I have power to the relays in the fuse box and on the buss bar. When the start button is pressed I’m not getting much sound from the relay click which I believe is just one relay making noise. The start button is okay I tested that also. The dash doesn’t light up and doesn’t crank over. Clearly it’s something electrical causing this issue! Any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
12,676 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. How does the ECU look behind the driver's seat?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from Tucson AZ. How does the ECU look behind the driver's seat?
It looks decent, I took the 2 connectors off and blew them out with air as well as all the ones I could find elsewhere. I don’t know how I can test if it works. Also while I was back there looks like they did a seatbelt mod since there isn’t one anymore.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
372 Posts
It looks decent, I took the 2 connectors off and blew them out with air as well as all the ones I could find elsewhere. I don’t know how I can test if it works. Also while I was back there looks like they did a seatbelt mod since there isn’t one anymore.
Do you have a spare key you can try? The DESS key and post are used for security and use encryption. No real way to bypass it either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a spare key you can try? The DESS key and post are used for security and use encryption. No real way to bypass it either.
No spare key! Only 1 that is the white one. Even without the key it should light up the display for atleast 12 sec then turn back off. And with the key in should last longer

·
Premium Member
12,676 Posts
No spare key! Only 1 that is the white one. Even without the key it should light up the display for atleast 12 sec then turn back off. And with the key in should last longer
I'm thinking it's either your ECU, or your battery. Can you switch the ECU with a buddy?

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Get a repair manual and test EVERY sensor and wire per the manual for continuity and correct ohm loads.

a swamped electrical system is a nightmare that will NEVER be reliable.

you best bet is to buy anew or used harness of eBay and swap it all out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking it's either your ECU, or your battery. Can you switch the ECU with a buddy?
I do have another x3 that is a 2017 but I’m scared that it will fry that ecu since that is a running unit also would I need to swap the key and cluster?

·
Premium Member
12,676 Posts
I do have another x3 that is a 2017 but I’m scared that it will fry that ecu since that is a running unit also would I need to swap the key and cluster?
Yeah, probably. You might be stuck bringing it to a dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, probably. You might be stuck bringing it to a dealer.
I been also trying to find out what the box is that is connected to the bus bar it’s a black box with blue green and black dots. I’ve read something about a winch but idk if that is related to it or something else ?

·
Premium Member
12,676 Posts
I been also trying to find out what the box is that is connected to the bus bar it’s a black box with blue green and black dots. I’ve read something about a winch but idk if that is related to it or something else ?
I hate electrical problems. It's like chasing ghosts!!!

Post a pic of this black box, maybe somebody will know?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Now is when you start spending all the money that you saved purchasing a swamped car. I hope you get lucky and find a resolution without costing you all those saved dollars.

You REALLY need to swap out that ECU,,, but I know I wouldn't lend one for TSing on a swamped car,,, that will be a tough one to get without purchasing one new/used.

The electrical system is fairly robust on these things,,, but swamping a car is never a good thing. Mega is most likely right on,,,, but that is a TON of work, time, and potentially money. Also,,, the previous owner may have not wanted to "mess" with fixing it,,, or more likely, he got to where you are now and said "F-it". o_O

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hate electrical problems. It's like chasing ghosts!!!

Post a pic of this black box, maybe somebody will know?
I’m not a fan eaither but I do know how to problem solve a lot of it. I just don’t know much about what else to trouble shoot besides the main things (battery,fuses,relays,ecu) I will get a picture up of the box here in if anyone knows

·
Premium Member
12,676 Posts
I’m not a fan eaither but I do know how to problem solve a lot of it. I just don’t know much about what else to trouble shoot besides the main things (battery,fuses,relays,ecu) I will get a picture up of the box here in if anyone knows
Well, like I mentioned, worse comes to worse, you might have to bite the bullet and take it to a dealer. And it won't be cheap, that's for sure!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now is when you start spending all the money that you saved purchasing a swamped car. I hope you get lucky and find a resolution without costing you all those saved dollars.

You REALLY need to swap out that ECU,,, but I know I wouldn't lend one for TSing on a swamped car,,, that will be a tough one to get without purchasing one new/used.

The electrical system is fairly robust on these things,,, but swamping a car is never a good thing. Mega is most likely right on,,,, but that is a TON of work, time, and potentially money. Also,,, the previous owner may have not wanted to "mess" with fixing it,,, or more likely, he got to where you are now and said "F-it". o_O
I agree he def didn’t want to deal with it! but lucky for me I can prob re do the unit and still come out pretty even with the price I got it for. I was just happy to know the engine isn’t hydro locked, just more of a electrical issue. I did think about replacing the harness in worst case scenario. I can also swap the ecu, key and dash of my working x3 in hopes I won’t ruin it tho!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts