Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put on my qsc last week and have been workin the bugs out. Had a kind of squalin noise at idle and low speeds plus binding during switching gears so I just installed the shim that came with the clutch to raise stall/engagement speed and now it does not squall during idle but as soon as I give it enough throttle to spin the secondary it is noisy as shit. Got it narrowed down to the belt or the secondary. Do I clean the belt, which is brand new, do I need to lube somthin inside the secondary, wth?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
sounds like your belt deflection is too tight….take the shim out from the primary if your clutch was engaging at the right RPM and add 1 or 2 more fiber washers to the secondary to loosen your belt deflection. Also, while you have the belt off, make sure your one way bearing on your primary spins smoothly (clockwise) and locks in the other (counter-clockwise)…...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did add the shim and that took care of the binding during shifting. I also cleaned my new belt along with the sheaves, didn't change anything. It is still annoying enough for my wife to gripe at me about it, lol. I do not have any fiber washers, don't know what you talking about Desert. Where do they go in the stock secondary, and where would i get them. I will be riding as is at the Superlift competition in Hot Springs AR this weekend. Hopefully some of ya'll will be there so I can get some info, or at least have another Mav to ride with.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did add the shim and that took care of the binding during shifting. I also cleaned my new belt along with the sheaves, didn't change anything. It is still annoying enough for my wife to gripe at me about it, lol. I do not have any fiber washers, don't know what you talking about Desert. Where do they go in the stock secondary, and where would i get them. I will be riding as is at the Superlift competition in Hot Springs AR this weekend. Hopefully some of ya'll will be there so I can get some info, or at least have another Mav to ride with.
The stock secondary does not have the fiber washers.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Sorry....I think we all just assumed you had the STM secondary. I'm not sure what you can do to adjust for proper belt deflection with the stock secondary.....do you have your old OEM belt? If so, does it do the same thing? If not, what is the belt width and length of each of the 2 belts? I think you may have too much belt tension as the Gates C12 is slightly wider than the OEM belt (at least mine was) which will result in increased belt tension until it wears down.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stock secondary does not have the fiber washers.
That's what I thought. I knew I didn't see them when I took it apart. That's just what Desertdog told me to do. So, Anyone else have a qsc with stock secondary that squals at slow speeds?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That's what I thought. I knew I didn't see them when I took it apart. That's just what Desertdog told me to do. So, Anyone else have a qsc with stock secondary that squals at slow speeds?
Sorry I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were going to add the shims to your secondary.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were going to add the shims to your secondary.
Not a problem. So, should I just run the shit out of it and hopefully it will wear down and quit makin noise. I am 99% positive on what everyone will say to this, lmao.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Not a problem. So, should I just run the shit out of it and hopefully it will wear down and quit makin noise. I am 99% positive on what everyone will say to this, lmao.
You said this started when you installed a new belt. Do you have the old belt to install and see if the noise goes away just to rule out the clutching? I am pretty sure it is due to the newer belt width and length and since the stock secondary has no ability to compensate for the differences you'll have to wait for the belt to stretch a bit and wear a bit for it to go away.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You said this started when you installed a new belt. Do you have the old belt to install and see if the noise goes away just to rule out the clutching? I am pretty sure it is due to the newer belt width and length and since the stock secondary has no ability to compensate for the differences you'll have to wait for the belt to stretch a bit and wear a bit for it to go away.
This is what I would do. If you find out it is the belt, that will help others with the same setup. It doesnt take much difference in the belt to make a huge difference in the way it performs.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
This is what I would do. If you find out it is the belt, that will help others with the same setup. It doesnt take much difference in the belt to make a huge difference in the way it performs.
Exactly...the fiber washers used on the STM secondary to adjust for belt tension are only .03" thick. So that tells you how just a little difference in belt width can make a big difference in belt deflection.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. It did start with the new belt but also installed qsc at the same time. I will run it this weekend as is and then after teardown and cleanup, if it still makes the noise I will swap belts. I am about sick and tired of taking the damn plastics and belt cover off this thing. My wife says I'm gonna wear out the bolts, lol.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Ok. It did start with the new belt but also installed qsc at the same time. I will run it this weekend as is and then after teardown and cleanup, if it still makes the noise I will swap belts. I am about sick and tired of taking the damn plastics and belt cover off this thing. My wife says I'm gonna wear out the bolts, lol.
Tell her to let you worry about the stuff going on in the garage and ask her if she needs advice how to make dinner? :haha:

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Tell her to let you worry about the stuff going on in the garage and ask her if she needs advice how to make dinner? :haha:
DD - let me guess you are single or divorced….:shocked: If I said that, I would come home and the Maverick would be gone because she sold it on Craigslist for $100 to spite me!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
DD - let me guess you are single or divorced….:shocked: If I said that, I would come home and the Maverick would be gone because she sold it on Craigslist for $100 to spite me!
I don't need another Maverick but some deals are too good to pass up. Forget Craigslist tell her to PM me on the Maverick Forum. :)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I don't need another Maverick but some deals are too good to pass up. Forget Craigslist tell her to PM me on the Maverick Forum. :)
haha…..I would most likely be part of the deal too…..we would both get the boot.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine would probably cut me in my sleep.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Actually all joking aside, since I bought the Maverick, I've spent a lot time working on it or researching this forum that my wife has been irritated with me at times. I haven't been on the forum as much lately.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Actually all joking aside, since I bought the Maverick, I've spent a lot time working on it or researching this forum that my wife has been irritated with me at times. I haven't been on the forum as much lately.
Master the art of multi-tasking. Let her snuggle on the coach and watch some sappy chick flick and you can browse the forum on your phone or I-Pad.....and just answer everything she says with "yes dear" and she will think you are having an intelligent conversation with her :saint:

Reactions: Hunting721
1 - 19 of 19 Posts