Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 X3 X rs Turbo RR
419 Posts
Not impressed by any means.

In the video, the "tone" seems different/milder, if that makes any sense. I also noticed that he held his phone in a different location each time, which could also have made a difference in the readings. In any case, I wear a helmet and the noise isn't too bad anyway, so I certainly wouldn't spend $75+ on a noise reduction kit, but I might consider the $40 kit.

Decibels are a strange unit of measurement, in that they work on a logarithmic scale, just like the Richter scale for earthquakes. But there is a difference between sound "energy" and perceived "loudness":
From Logison Acoustic Network: "A 1 dB change in a sound equates to about a 26% difference in sound energy (remember that a 3 dB difference is a doubling of energy levels). In terms of subjective loudness, a 1 dB change yields just over a 7% change. A 3 dB change yields a 100% increase in sound energy and just over a 23% increase in loudness".

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
In a basic sense, it's changing the wave form of the sound it produces over the reducing the db level.

Maybe just not quite as "piercing" to the ears.

I'm not sold, however for those who choose not to ride with a helmet or even using a headset, I can see how it might help a little.

·
Registered
2018 X3 XDS Turbo R
221 Posts
In a basic sense, it's changing the wave form of the sound it produces over the reducing the db level.

Maybe just not quite as "piercing" to the ears.

I'm not sold, however for those who choose not to ride with a helmet or even using a headset, I can see how it might help a little.
I wear a helmet and communicate with passengers and others riding in different vehicles with a Cardo Packtalk. I can say that at certain RPMs the kit does help quiet things down. Around 5-5500 RPMs if I had to guess .

·
Registered
2018 X3 XDS Turbo R
221 Posts
Hey all,

Ill be installing an SB particle separator, but the stock air intake will still be open behind me. Are there any kits that I can buy that stuff that or further reduce noise with the particle separator installed/in mind?
It just doesn’t get any cheaper than this…

·
Registered
137 Posts
In 2021 they added a liner to the 2 CVT ducts that eats a lot of the noise. If you don't have that, it makes a pretty big different. You can retrofit w part # 703501111:

Slope Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

They added a liner to the belt cover in 2020 also that made a big difference over the 2019, part 420897385. With these 2 on mine I barely hear any whine. The liner is only $30, but you'd prob need to rivet it into the 2019 and older cover yourself, otherwise the new cover is ~$130.

·
Registered
429 Posts
In 2021 they added a liner to the 2 CVT ducts that eats a lot of the noise. If you don't have that, it makes a pretty big different. You can retrofit w part # 703501111:

View attachment 287595

They added a liner to the belt cover in 2020 also that made a big difference over the 2019, part 420897385. With these 2 on mine I barely hear any whine. The liner is only $30, but you'd prob need to rivet it into the 2019 and older cover yourself, otherwise the new cover is ~$130.
Possible anyone knows or has seen what the cross section of those ducts with liner look like?

Is it a perforated baffle?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey all,

Ill be installing an SB particle separator, but the stock air intake will still be open behind me. Are there any kits that I can buy that stuff that or further reduce noise with the particle separator installed/in mind?
All the other rattle, and bangs, clunks, clangs and the wife bitchin to slow down, covers up the sound of the S&B.

·
Registered
303 Posts
And by then, this will be the MANDATORY riding gear everyone MUST wear who dares to risk injury while perusing dangerous recreational activities!

Sleeve Gesture Art Fur Event

Hey, I never thought I'd see a day where helmets for bikes was the law of the land so.. the door is opened for this stupid $#it to one day become future reality!
They just keep taking one tiny piece of autonomy & freedom away at a time until... it just too fvk'n late!

Not that I'm a visionary but, I couldn't help but seeing this starting to happening back in the 1970's with the passing of seat-belt laws. It was the fundamental surrender of your autonomy to the government & it's laws justified in the name of safety & 'the greater good'.
Now you can get a ticket for being tired or distracted by a frik'n radio!
Way to go small minded un-American loosers.
Well why stop there huh? What's next?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts