Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Ill be installing an SB particle separator, but the stock air intake will still be open behind me. Are there any kits that I can buy that stuff that or further reduce noise with the particle separator installed/in mind?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The S&B does nothing to filter the CVT which is the intake behind your head mostly. The S&B has a sleeve that fits into the removable screen back there but that’s it. You can use some round foam like you would put over a copper pipe and shove it in there. It will lessen the noise somewhat but on my old car I I cut some round holes in the black cover back there and covered them with frogskin to make up for the air blocked up front. Belt temps stayed the same after that. Covering the front air intake without allowing that air in from somewhere may present some belt temp issues.

In addition, besides the foam, you can get some UMHW and trace the outline of the intake. Cut to shape and use some small rivets to fasten, along with a small bead of silicone and you will reduce the noise another few DB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The S&B does nothing to filter the CVT which is the intake behind your head mostly. The S&B has a sleeve that fits into the removable screen back there but that’s it. You can use some round foam like you would put over a copper pipe and shove it in there. It will lessen the noise somewhat but on my old car I I cut some round holes in the black cover back there and covered them with frogskin to make up for the air blocked up front. Belt temps stayed the same after that. Covering the front air intake without allowing that air in from somewhere may present some belt temp issues.

In addition, besides the foam, you can get some UMHW and trace the outline of the intake. Cut to shape and use some small rivets to fasten, along with a small bead of silicone and you will reduce the noise another few DB.
So if I plug up the air intake beside my head, that effectively chokes off air intake for the clutch? But if I drill some holes in the S&B air intake cover that will let air back into the clutch? Im having a bit of trouble following as theres two air intakes to track now. Wouldn't drilling holes in that air intake cover cancel out the SB particle separator?

Flash photography Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yes, and no. The S&B is designed to filter the air going to the ENGINE and does nothing for the CVT intake. The only filtration for the CVT is the removable plastic screen assembly below the large black plastic cover. The scoop behind your head lets air into the CVT past the screen and lets air into the airbox as well. The airbox holds your filter and filters out the dirt before it gets into the engine. The S&B pre filters all of the dust BEFORE it gets to your filter, keeping it almost perfectly clean. The sleeve that fits into that screen assembly in essence separates the air coming into the airbox from the air going into the CVT.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Yikes, ~$100 Canadian for a rectangle of foam. Its so strange the particle separator wouldn't just come with something to block the intake seeing as it freaking REPLACES it. Kinda of a moot point to have the separator with the intake still open behind your head free to suck in dust.
This is one of the few cheapest things you will ever add to your SXS. Everything else you will really have to say Yikes too. Picture is where you cut the box and install the open screen.
Hood Vehicle Light Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, so if I was to get the previously linked noise reduction kit, plug the air intake in the cabin, then cut a hole for the grate in the kit on the sb air intake cover in the back, I should be good to go?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Alright, so if I was to get the previously linked noise reduction kit, plug the air intake in the cabin, then cut a hole for the grate in the kit on the sb air intake cover in the back, I should be good to go?
YES

·
Registered
2018 X3 XDS Turbo R
219 Posts
Hey all,

Ill be installing an SB particle separator, but the stock air intake will still be open behind me. Are there any kits that I can buy that stuff that or further reduce noise with the particle separator installed/in mind?
This is the kit I bought. There maybe cheaper ones out there. I honestly believe that most kits are the same.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts