Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Good Day Everyone - just joined - visiting an old post but have a question -
Is it an option rather than cutting a hole in the intake cover - any thoughts as to drilling holes in the cover verses the grille piece filled with holes?? thank you in advance for your replies and input.
Drilling holes would work just the same, put some frogskinz on from the back side

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 X3XRC
65 Posts
Thank you! I appreciate the fast response. We've ran a rzr for several years and am very excited but was shocked by noise in the cockpit - am looking forward to testing this "fix" out!

·
Registered
2020 X3XRC
65 Posts
Drilling holes would work just the same, put some frogskinz on from the back side

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply - additional thought / question please - trying to understand and perhaps I am missing something or there is actually a part missing??
When looking closer and preparing to punch holes in the cover, I could not help but notice the large gaping hole that exists on the lower right side allowing dusty air to pass right in as shown in the pics. The hole get's hidden a bit by the louver type cover that sits in along side but the large / uncovered, non filtered hole is wide open only a cuople inches from the intake I just plugged behind the headrest. Why does one need to cut a grill in or drill hole and cover with frogskin when this is wide open? Thank you again for helping me understand - much appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Really you are just adding back an intake point that you are covering up buy plugging the hole behind the headrest. Is it required probably not, but will it hurt? Not a chance. Frogskinz covering the hole just looks better and will kind of help repel water. And yes they are made with what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: widerider

·
Registered
2020 X3XRC
65 Posts
Really you are just adding back an intake point that you are covering up buy plugging the hole behind the headrest. Is it required probably not, but will it hurt? Not a chance. Frogskinz covering the hole just looks better and will kind of help repel water. And yes they are made with what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Glover XRS !
Makes sense! Thank you for the clarification - I’ll post pics when done
Excited to hear the success!!

·
Registered
2020 X3XRC
65 Posts
m00s3
Nicely done 👊🏼 who's rear window did you use?
Thank you - I just bought the machine - it came with the Can Am soft rear window. It’s a larger hole mesh screen type material. Thinking of maybe changing to a solid material to help w the noise as well?

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,121 Posts
I have done some mods but have been wondering about a rear window as well for noise reduction.

I plan to cut a mock window out of cardboard just to see if there is any noise reduction before spending $ on a rear window.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've been battling this issue since I bought my X3 back in 2017. I pool noodled, blocked off the intake with a plastic piece, bought the Canam quiet clutch air tubes and now I've put in a back windscreen. After all of that, it's now at least at a not absolutely obnoxious level but definitely not quiet. Next is probably dynamat on the firewall but even then, there are so many places that aren't sealed that I'm not sure it'll make a lot of difference. Thankfully, the "helmet lecturers" haven't taken over this thread yet. These machines are just loud and unfortunately, it seems the older ones, like mine are even louder than the newer cars.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Intake relocation and some siless. Decent reduction in noise. With my exhaust dump closed it's very tolerable. I used to run the exhaust open because it sounded better than the intake and clutch noise but it's quiet enough now I tend to leave it closed.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 X3XRC
65 Posts
I have done some mods but have been wondering about a rear window as well for noise reduction.

I plan to cut a mock window out of cardboard just to see if there is any noise reduction before spending $ on a rear window.
Cool ! Did that help at all?
look forward to hearing your success with the cardboard - was thinking the same thing

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
In my case blocking off the intake with a pool noodle behind the driver helped the most. Simple 1 minute fix that cost a couple of bucks. I have never cut any extra air inlets into the air box behind the driver and have never had any belt issues.

If I am absolutely going to pound the machine for a sustained period I will just simply pull pool noodle out of the intake. If you are driving the machine hard you are not living in that 5000 rpm range enough for it to be a bother IMO. And I am in racecar mode at that point anyways.

If I am just cruising on trails at say 30-40 mph I definitely leave the intake blocked as you are just in that 5000 range to much. Mostly due to blind corners and being cautious of oncoming traffic on narrow busier trails.

I have also put on the updated muffled CVT cooling ducts which helped a little more. But not as much difference as blocking off the intake makes. But the combination of the 2 mods made enough difference the noise does not really bother me at all anymore. So I have never really had the motivation to try and use any kind of sound dampening mats etc. I'm already pretty satisfied.

I have a 2020 model so it also came from the factory with sound dampening material in the CVT cover. But not sure how much difference that makes as I have never ran without it.

My driving habits also help. I do my best when possible to avoid 5000 rpm. If I am approaching 5000 rmp I just put my foot in it and push through that range as fast as possible. If I am coming back down in rpm and am about to hit 5000 I just quickly release the throttle and pick it back up when it hits 4800 or whatever.

I should also mention in my case that the 2 mods mentioned above reduced the rpm range that you hear the noise in. It passes by much faster and is narrowed down to a more narrow band of rpm.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a 2020 model so it also came from the factory with sound dampening material in the CVT cover. But not sure how much difference that makes as I have never ran without it.
It's a pretty noticeable difference. The first time I was around a few new rr's I noticed and other people in my riding group noticed how much quieter they are than the '17.

·
Registered
2020 X3XRC
65 Posts
Sounds like you have handled - as noted we just picked up our 2020 X3XRC a couple days ago so haven’t had a chance to get to the driving points your referencing but certainly plan on it!
thank you for your awesome input - will have a better idea as to how to / what to expect!

·
Registered
2020 X3XRC
65 Posts
Finished ! On a scale of 1-10 I’d give this idea / fix a 15!!
you can even hear your passenger At 30 - 45 mph!!
Ended up simply drilling breather holes in the cover and cementing frogskin over time filter the air a bit - seems to breathe fine!
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions!
now just have to get to the trails!
Maybe next weekend after a few more mods!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the input! I really like your OCD with the holes you drilled(y)

On a side note, I installed the updated clutch tubes (BRP 70350111) last night, and honestly I can not tell a bit of difference. If I didn't install them myself I would argue with anyone that is was changed. When off throttle 5300-4900 rpm is still as loud and annoying as before.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What year and engine is in your machine?

It seems certain mods help some people more than others.

On my 2020 RR the clutch tubes did help. Not as good as I hoped. But good enough I would buy em again.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Wow that's suprising to hear. Can Am specifically says the kit is most effective on the 120 hp models lol. Sorry to hear it was a waste of time and $.

I assume you have your intake blocked off?

·
Registered
2020 X3XRC
65 Posts
Thanks for the input! I really like your OCD with the holes you drilled(y)

On a side note, I installed the updated clutch tubes (BRP 70350111) last night, and honestly I can not tell a bit of difference. If I didn't install them myself I would argue with anyone that is was changed. When off throttle 5300-4900 rpm is still as loud and annoying as before.
Thanks - seemed to make sense As compared to cutting a big hole... there seems to be enough unprotected air acccess on the right side of the cover you likely don’t need the holes I drilled - no idea.
sounds like we are running the same machine - excited to get out on the trails!!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts