Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Rugged 660+ Intercom and radio and others are picking up a lot of static on the receive side when I talk. It doesn't matter if the engine is running or off, sounds about the same. I am connected directly to battery, but am not using any kind of line filter. Thinking with the engine off and no other accessories going it shouldn't be a noisy input line and must be something else? Would a line filter do anything for me here?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
When you say engine off is the car completely off or is the push button on to supply power to the radio? This detail will point me in the right direction to help.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car including ignition are off. Only reach in the car and turn on intercom/radio. The noise on the receiving end almost sounds like a siren at times

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Ok there can be several issues going on here. Tell me about your setup; is the entire thing plug and play as in did the radio and intercom come from Rugged or PCI ? Which helmet or headset ? What are you using for a PTT ? Antenna setup ? Antenna tuned?

4 possibilities come to mind:
Antenna itself not properly grounded or coax issue, high SWR
Interconnect cable incorrect wiring or shorted between headset, radio, or intercom
RF being introduced into PTT wiring and being transferred to the mic input
Ground loop in wiring causing feedback

If you have a good Volt/Ohm meter I can walk you through some checks for the antenna, coax, etc.
The PTT wiring can be shielded or a magnetic filter can be installed (cheap and easy)
The PTT switch itself can have poor connections so we can test that also
Possible impedance mismatch between mic and radio/intercom
Improper or incomplete grounding between radio, intercom, battery and chassis
You might need a Kenwood KLF-2 noise filter

Last possibility - when you say feedback, are you hearing it on another radio that’s close to your car in the garage? If so, then have someone go down the block and pull the car out of the garage and check again. I know it sounds strange, but it happens all the time.

If you’re reasonably close to Tucson I’ll be happy to help with the diagnosis and repair if you want to bring it over. Have you tested the antenna for SWR?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I suspect antenna and or cable related.

The outer shielding touching the inner or the like.

If you have a spare antenna and CABLE that might make diagnosing it easier to prove or eliminate it.

One thing to know is never key the mic without an antenna. It can and likley will burn some electronics in the radio.

Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I dont have an antenna mounted on my car. My radio is a little ol Rugged handheld thats wired into my intercom on my dash. Setup has worked well but this problem just recently started. Got a few things to checkout and try and diagnose.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Reactions: sand shark

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Wtf does a handheld have to do with it? Antennas still plug in the top of the units and not all cheap ass mofos who buy those radios use the rubber whip antennas.

You know those posts and threads where you teach us all kinds of tech tricks and how to work on our X3's?

Then you do some really awesome fabricating and show off your mechanical aptitude?

Well the last two posts are not that!

As a matter of fact if that were me I would come on and say " My account was hacked a some newb was making posts and Lance helped me change my password." 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
You know those posts and threads where you teach us all kinds of tech tricks and how to work on our X3's?

Then you do some really awesome fabricating and show off your mechanical aptitude?

Well the last two posts are not that!

As a matter of fact if that were me I would come on and say " My account was hacked a some newb was making posts and Lance helped me change my password." 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Tim
my account t was NOT hacked and you are a unicorn hoarder!

my hx370 handheld radios from Rugged I used in the past had external antennas just like my current 60 watt radio. Sure, I only could transmit with 2watts but I received a lot more than that. Using my experience and knowledge I made the comment to move antenna outside of the roof. Which in its omen thought could be something to try even IF the OP had the little floppy rubber antenna mounted on the handheld

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Whoa ! It's a handheld??????

If it's a Baofeng or clone there is a completely different issue ! Those radios are known to have issues with the 2-prong Kenwood style plugs. Likely the jack inside the radio is bad or dirty. One of mine did the same thing and it's now relegated to a handheld only with no external mic. There are a few articles and YouTube videos about it. ALSO, there have been issues with the external cords going in and causing that feedback. You can try wrapping the cord once through a clamp-on magnet to see if the issue remains. If it does see if you can clean the terminals with some alcohol as described in the videos, otherwise some solder surgery is in order but even that isn't 100% effective.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
my account t was NOT hacked and you are a unicorn hoarder!

my hx370 handheld radios from Rugged I used in the past had external antennas just like my current 60 watt radio. Sure, I only could transmit with 2watts but I received a lot more than that. Using my experience and knowledge I made the comment to move antenna outside of the roof. Which in its omen thought could be something to try even IF the OP had the little floppy rubber antenna mounted on the handheld

Im getting you a sense of humor for Christmas!

It worked at one time, soooo, something changed, I doubt the roof changed molecular structure...

I still suspect the antenna or maybe radio is now defective.

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
Im getting you a sense of humor for Christmas!

It worked at one time, soooo, something changed, I doubt the roof changed molecular structure...

I still suspect the antenna or maybe radio is now defective.

Tim
Thank goodness, maybe I’ll get to keep this present. that drill-do you got me last year and took back for yourself I have yet to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Thank goodness, maybe I’ll get to keep this present. that drill-do you got me last year and took back for yourself I have yet to enjoy.
How do you think I keep getting called back to the Red Hat society! Tim

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swapped some cables around yesterday and I think I’ve isolated the problem down to a bad intercom/headset cable on passenger side. If I take that cable out of the system it clears up

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Great, glad you got it figured out. Did you find the cable chafed against something and rub through the shielding?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts