Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to install the 2020 driveshafts that bolts together on my 2018 x3 there’s No more noise I use to have to grease all the splines / center bearings every 200 miles

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got to install the 2020 driveshafts that bolts together on my 2018 x3 there’s No more noise I use to have to grease all the splines / center bearings every 200 miles
I’m sick of that noise, part numbers and cost??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
705402520. Rear driveshaft 155$
705402462. Front driveshaft. 155$
I didn’t even look at the factory shafts for phasing but Canam supposedly balances each shafts separately

·
Registered
99 Posts
My new 2018 was delivered with them out of phase. When I needed a rear seal replaced I ask the tech if he understood phasing and to be sure and check it. It also came back out of phase so I fixed it myself. You really have to try to do it wrong since the factory paints allignment marks on the parts. How it happened is anyones guess but it could have been post manufacturing rework done at either location.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 18 was also 1 spline off on phasing. Eventually this did cause the rear yolk connecting to trans get sloppy. When I replaced rear drive shaft and carrier I phased correctly and it was very smooth with zero vibration. So I just checked my 2020 and yes they added a pinch bolt to front shaft which is great but it is also 1 spline off. I don't really notice any vibes in 4wd but I'm curious if they did this on purpose for some reason? Can anyone confirm that theirs from factory is perfectly in phase? Should I pull apart and correct it now?

·
Registered
99 Posts
He explained in his first post that greasing the splines every 200 miles wasn't making it go away which suggests perhaps a phasing problem. It can be checked in less time than it takes to grease the splines.

People are talking about two different things here

Out of phase = vibration
Lack of grease on splines = box of rocks sound.

OP is talking about the later, not phasing

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yes everyone should check their phasing but it wont do anything to address the box of rocks sound. Only greasing the splines will help. You have to go HEAVY on the grease. I’ve got 2500mi on perfectly phased shafts and have still had to deal with the sound. Not enough grease and it will come back fairly quickly.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I slopped on some Moly-EP about 20 miles ago. Chatter dissapeared, and hopefully stays away for a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn’t phase the new ones. I guess I should have but the 2020 driveshafts didn’t have Any paint marks on the driveshafts you wouldn’t think you would have to if each shaft was balanced correctly? But it doesn’t have any vibration in 4wheel up to 70 on the rd

·
Registered
86 Posts
705402520. Rear driveshaft 155$
705402462. Front driveshaft. 155$
I didn’t even look at the factory shafts for phasing but Canam supposedly balances each shafts separately
Did these come with a carrier bearing? or did you use aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It doesn’t come with the carrier bearing but I put a new one in there only 25$ the old one was still good no noise and spinning smooth at 3700 miles I believe all the noise and vibration came from the middle slip joint

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I won’t have any pics till Friday but it looks just like the pinch clamp on the old driveshaft that clamps the front diff but it’s bigger and the rear driveshaft has larger splines compared to the old driveshaft

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just for fun, pic of the new pinch clamp? So those of us with the previous driveshafts can fab something up...
I'm betting it's very similar to the new cv clamp that came in my BDs coil over lift. It's almost identical to a stainless pex connector clamp. The difference being it is open ended. I used my pex tool to clamp it. There's two tools for pex, the stainless clamp tool and the snap ring too, for those that aren't familiar.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Those are excellant videos that help explain phasing in general. To understand the implication on the X3 look at this parts layout. The shorter section is the front which has both ends welded on at the correct phasing so it is a non-issue. The rear section is the one that needs to be checked and again the rear coupling is also welded on so any adjustment is done at the center joint spline right in front of the center bearing. You can access this area by removing the drivers side of the center console. Usually there will be factory paint on both parts to show correct alignment. If not you just need to visually align both couplings on the rear shaft in the same plane as was done on the front section. If the spline on part #10B needs to be moved proceed as follows.

1. Remove the passenger side of the center concole.
2. Remove the two bolts holding the center bearing.
3. Remove the pinch bolt #320 on the front joint.
4. Move the front shaft back out of the coupling.
5. Now by moving the front half forward and the rear half backward the spline will separate.

As has been repeated many times install a grease fitting on part #10B while your at it.

X3 Driveshaft.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts