Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will post some of my "noise" findings here and hopefully it helps.

I picked up an XDS RR a few weeks ago and the noise was savage around 5000. Maybe not even so much the noise level as the frequency of the noise. It literally vibrated my head, mostly in my sinuses. I went on a 6 hour ride and was literally in a stunned state for about 2 hours after I got home. Gave me a nasty headache eventually. I ended up around 5000 rpm a lot that day due to the trails we were on. Surprisingly my wife doesnt really notice it nor does it bother her. Which makes me think it is more the frequency than the noise level that sucks for certain people.

So far I have installed the updated muffled air ducts. It does make a difference but not a HUGE improvement. But still good enough I would spend the $ on them again, so worth while in my case.

Next I blocked the intake behind the seat. In my case that made more of a difference than the updated intakes. But the combination of the 2 mods work well together. It is quieter without question. I cancelled out the frequency that was bothering me. I also noticed that the noise lives in a significantly more narrow rpm range. IE when let off the throttle and the rpms drop from say 5500-4500 the noise passes by much more quickly and is less drawn out. Much more enjoyable to drive and it no longer rattles my skull. It is at least at the level of reasonably tolerable now.

I know these things are loud and squeak and rattle, and I can live with that. I know the driveshafts can develope noises and that has started happening. But there are still a few other wtf noises and rattles going on lol. I will continue to update.

From reading posts and doing research it seems pretty obvious that not all fixes work for everyone. There are a bunch of things going on here and 2 cases are not always going to be the same.

I have another rattle going on others experience. Heat shields seem fine. I tried clamping the exaust springs-zero difference made. I will try popping the spark arrestor out tomorrow and see what that does. I will let you guys know how that goes...
I absolutely hated how loud my machine was. Was painful just going for a ride. I can honestly say the #1 best upgrade I did was an intercom with headsets. It's an absolute pleasure to drive my X3 now. If I'm by myself I wear the headset just for hearing protection not to mention I can play music through the system as well. With a passenger, conversations at speed are enjoyable & don't require raising one's voice. I do believe a windshield is a must with a headset com system as wind noise at speed can cause issues with the mic. A helmet system probably isn't as sensitive to wind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with the headset posts, should have done this first. But that said I blocked the clutch intake, and added more opening in the intake cover. I also added sound insulation, on the back firewall. Now if I could just eliminate all the heat coming from the front. I'm in AZ as well and it gets toasty on the inside once the temps get much over 80.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I installed the upgraded clutch cooling tubes and put a piece of pool noodle in the intake behind the driver's seat. No doubt the rattle which is about 5250 rpm for me is lessened in magnitude. It's still there but much reduced. Glad I did it but the machine noise is still very loud so I'll still be using ear protection.

·
Registered
76 Posts
a 20 min job turned in a hour and 20 min frustration...user error
Tore a hose clamp when i tightened it ...i was using 2 x extenders (hard to reach top on the longer hose) and i couldnt feel when it was fully secured
OEM is $20 with shipping in a week..Autozone was $4.50 for 2... Now I got a spare

·
Premium Member
2018.5 Can Am Maverick X3 XRS
119 Posts
I agree with the headset posts, should have done this first. But that said I blocked the clutch intake, and added more opening in the intake cover. I also added sound insulation, on the back firewall. Now if I could just eliminate all the heat coming from the front. I'm in AZ as well and it gets toasty on the inside once the temps get much over 80.
Do you some picts you can share? Mine is noisy too and need some ideas!

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just did the 20 cover with the pad and the two ducts. I haven’t driven it yet though. My 14 year old put it all on, he said he idled it but could not tell any difference at idle. I’ll update when I ride it and then again when/if the felt causes an issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
An update on my noise quest...

I'm happy with the updated ducts and blocking the drivers side intake. Still slightly annoying but still a significant improvement. I can ride for a day now without it bothering me much. Drove me INSANE before those 2 mods! A must do IMO. It's good enough that I will not likely try to reduce clutch noise any further with sound mat or anything.

I still had a "tinny" rolling rattle. It has been pissing me off as well. I clamped the exaust springs down and there was no difference. Springs were not a cause. Heat shields etc good.

I took another suggestion from this thread and removed the spark arrestor assembly. And wouldnt you know it that damn noise is gone. Just the sound the metal made when I removed it I could almost tell already it was going to fix the noise.

For the 3 bolts and 60 seconds it takes to remove the spark arrestor assembly, it is something quick and easy for anyone with a similar noise to check.

That thing was making a friggin racket in my machine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great info, mine has a very loud rattle/sound when decelerating around 5300-4900rpm. Looks like the updated ducts will be in order.

EDIT: The BRP 703501111 is hard to find...anyone have any luck?

121 - 130 of 130 Posts