Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've owned my car for less than a year and it has about 2500 miles on it. In the forum we've discussed the clutch noise and the dreaded "5K rattle". I've resisted putting the pipe insulation into the intake duct simply because here in AZ it gets ridiculously hot in the summer months. Basically I was concerned about belt temps and longevity but I can't take it anymore. So, here's the question. For those that have blocked the intake behind your head, how much of a noise reduction is it? Have you seen a difference in belt temps (using a gauge)? Have you done any mods to the intake cover to allow air into the clutch case and if so, what did you do to allow the air in without allowing the dust to get in? Looking for options. Not ruling out clutch work if it will get rid of the noise. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm thinking of putting either the EMP or Spike rear window in mine to help reduce some of the noise.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Stuff a piece of pipe insulation in there and hear for yourself the noise reduction. It has no affect on belt temps. There are many places air can enter the housing. I did punch a couple holes in the backside and added Frogskinz but dont know it was really needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that idea. Where did you get frogskin and how did you attach it on the inside of the housing?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I did put a piece of pipe insulation in my intake and noticed a reduction in the noise but it isn't like a major reduction. No noticeable increase in temperatures but I don't ride in a very hot climate. When we installed the comms system did we finally get relief. The headsets are great at reducing the noise!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What about noise canceling headsets?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
JD likes headsets.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an intercom already and ride with David Clark Aviation headsets. I would still love to get this thing quieter.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
I put some foam in and then cut a piece of ABS with sound mat attached and glued it in. It does reduce noise. I have a rear window also. I then cut some holes into the cover and put frog skinz on the outside. Order directly from them in a couple squares and a couple long ovals. Looks factory and I have a gauge and noticed no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love to see a pic of what you did with the ABS and the cover. That sounds like the right fix to me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I blocked off the duct and found that it is much quieter. Especially the reduction in high pitch gear type noise. I really notice the difference when I do not have my headset on vs when it was not covered. I fully blocked it with 3 inch deep condensed foam. I live in Tucson and monitor my belt temps closely. I did not find any difference in temps or cool down times.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate the response. Guess I will try it and see how it works. The noise is really annoying.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts