Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause my 2017 can am x3’s steering to lock up? Won’t move in either direction from center. Lifted the front end and still won’t turn. Checked fuse and voltage to power steering box and all good.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Steering rack failure or/and broken parts in the rack. Gotta check the joints on the steering rods also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
What would cause my 2017 can am x3’s steering to lock up? Won’t move in either direction from center. Lifted the front end and still won’t turn. Checked fuse and voltage to power steering box and all good.
What where you doing when this happened?

Losing power or programming to the power steering will not lock it up. I'd start with unbolting the tie rod ends and work your way up till the steering wheel turns.

·
Premium Member
14,633 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Sounds like the rack broke.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We’ll update I brought it inside the guarage and let it sit for a little bit then the steering started working again. When it was outside giving me problems it was cold around 30 degrees. Does temperature have any effect on the rack? It was never sloppy and always worked just fine. Only has 1000 miles the machine.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
795 Posts
We’ll update I brought it inside the guarage and let it sit for a little bit then the steering started working again. When it was outside giving me problems it was cold around 30 degrees. Does temperature have any effect on the rack? It was never sloppy and always worked just fine. Only has 1000 miles the machine.
That temp will have no effect on the steering. It is a binding issue or a gear issue. 1K miles is nothing but it is what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok before I got a new rack I wanted to make sure that’s what it was.. would there be any chance if the electric motor would lock up cause this as well?

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
795 Posts
Ok before I got a new rack I wanted to make sure that’s what it was.. would there be any chance if the electric motor would lock up cause this as well?
It's really easy to disconnect the steering rack, shaft and tie rods so you can feel how smooth the rack cycles. I bet the DPS could also cause an issue, but you just don't hear of it here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can test it to see for sure where the problem is when it locks up again because right now there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it just hoping I’m not in the middle of the woods when it does act up again 😣

·
Registered
533 Posts
It’s absolutely possible, just very very unlikely. Default failure is manual steering.

I think we all agree a binding rack is most likely what you came across, but if you don’t/can’t/won’t isolate the concern to a component, all you’re doing is throwing parts at an idea.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My old Commander had water infiltration inside the power steering unit and it started to freeze solid when cold outside. Really disconcerting when the steering randomly would lock solid for a half second going through a twisty trail. Ended up replacing the unit with aftermarket, it was trashed inside.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My old Commander had water infiltration inside the power steering unit and it started to freeze solid when cold outside. Really disconcerting when the steering randomly would lock solid for a half second going through a twisty trail. Ended up replacing the unit with aftermarket, it was trashed inside.
This is a good response and likely the cause. Even though it’s usually sealed up pretty good. This explains the 30* lockup. And when warmer, no issues. It’s not electrical. Hell, your rack (the one pictured above) May be fine and just need a suspension bra!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
The old units had the power steering unit basically in the front wheel well, are the x3 units under the steering wheel like the new Mav Sports?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts