Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my ride today I noticed grease splatter on the left side next to the rear left drive shaft.
Upon closer inspection, there is no clamp on the CV boot. so, the grease came out and splattered all over.
Questions:
I bought a 3 inch hose clamp, will this work to secure the boot?
should i move the boot back and put grease on the CV?
is the drive shaft toast?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
During my ride today I noticed grease splatter on the left side next to the rear left drive shaft.
Upon closer inspection, there is no clamp on the CV boot. so, the grease came out and splattered all over.
Questions:
I bought a 3 inch hose clamp, will this work to secure the boot?
should i move the boot back and put grease on the CV?
is the drive shaft toast?
You should be fine. Just buy the tool and band to fix asap along with adding some more grease. Your way better off then my boot being ripped and running in the sand. I have a replacement axle that I will swap out to rebuild as needed.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Red Gas

·
Registered
169 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my 2020 when new, but on the front. Get a new factory clamp and the tool to clamp it. Add more grease, clean it up, clamp it, and you should be good to go. I didn't have luck with a hose clamp for a temp fix.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've heard of this happening to a few folks. Sometimes the bands just break. It's unfortunate, but it does happen.

At least you noticed it early,,,, another good reason to keep a clean car. (y)

I run in the sand quite a bit,,, and learned about these on this forum. Seemed like a good idea, so I threw a couple of them in my tool kit just in case this should happen to me.

Seems like a pretty good "get back to camp" solution for $30.

Leg Automotive tire Thigh Flash photography Knee

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that I have a possible root cause.
BTW - the clamp was on, it had slipped off the boot and it was in the grove between CVT and the case.
prior to the ride, I had lifted the rear wheels off the ground. is it possible that the suspension/CV was extended to max and caused the clamp to slip?
Also, can I put the new clamp on without taking the axle out?

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes - covered under warranty. Picked up a new axle yesterday. Have to tackle the replacement myself this weekend.

Reactions: HPnMORE4J
1 - 12 of 12 Posts