Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
467 Posts
Has anyone checked a set of brand new shocks to get stock pressure?

Would be interested to see what they are delivered as, and how far a used rigs pressure deviates over time.

How does the pressure inside the res change the characteristics of the damping, other than from prohibiting foaming or cavitation?

· Premium Member
9,507 Posts
So what would one want in a DS/XDS shock vs a XRS?
100 to 125 is fine for any of the models.

I top my shocks off 3 or 4 times a year and use 150 psi because my sand car uses 150 and I leave the valve set there and just close off the bottle. Tim

Reactions: McCarthy

· Registered
1,645 Posts
I got myself a little nitrogen set up and went to town on my shocks last night. 3/4 were around 80psi and one was 40. I set them all at 150 from what I've read elsewhere before finding this thread, but based on the last couple comments here the ideal pressure has some leeway. My 40psi one has me a little concerned a rebuild is in my future earlier than I want, but I'll check it more often now that I have a baseline. None appear to be leaking oil.

Eventually I'll go to shrader's for the 3 X3's at the house but until then and now that I'm sure I'm the local shock checker.. Anyone have any recommendations for needles that aren't shit? My amazon special kit came with the quality of it's price.

· Premium Member
17,344 Posts
I got myself a little nitrogen set up and went to town on my shocks last night. 3/4 were around 80psi and one was 40. I set them all at 150 from what I've read elsewhere before finding this thread, but based on the last couple comments here the ideal pressure has some leeway. My 40psi one has me a little concerned a rebuild is in my future earlier than I want, but I'll check it more often now that I have a baseline. None appear to be leaking oil.

Eventually I'll go to shrader's for the 3 X3's at the house but until then and now that I'm sure I'm the local shock checker.. Anyone have any recommendations for needles that aren't shit? My amazon special kit came with the quality of it's price.
I would get the Power Tank needle. I used it once before switching to scrader valves. If I still had it, I would send it to you. I think I tossed it, the needle set up really sucks.

· Premium Member
9,507 Posts
I think beside the needle being a total pain, it's dangerous.

I could that needle blasting 150 psi in your hand in an accident.

I don't know what anyone ever used that rubber plug.

Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

· Registered
1,645 Posts
I think beside the needle being a total pain, it's dangerous.

I could that needle blasting 150 psi in your hand in an accident.

I don't know what anyone ever used that rubber plug.

Tim
Agreed. I'm not sure how I haven't already stabbed myself.

· Registered
2019 XRS TURBO R MAX
61 Posts

from talking to a few people the rubber plug tends to leak on these shocks. I cant remember where I found the write up on it but I drilled and tapped my end caps and installed Schrader valves, it is also what shock therapy does unless you buy the bigger endcaps.

these are what I used, i bought them from kartek for less than $3 a piece
Coin Currency Money Saving Household hardware

· Premium Member
9,507 Posts
Filling shocks like a football is ridiculous. Fox should have used Schrader valves.

On the rubber plug you are literally piercing it and then it's supposed to self heal the hole. Not very reliably from what I've seen though.

Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

· Registered
1,645 Posts
from talking to a few people the rubber plug tends to leak on these shocks. I cant remember where I found the write up on it but I drilled and tapped my end caps and installed Schrader valves, it is also what shock therapy does unless you buy the bigger endcaps.

these are what I used, i bought them from kartek for less than $3 a piece View attachment 290103
Admittedly I'm not much of a shock expert. If I did this idea... It's basically release nitrogen pressure, remove a retaining ring that holds the stock cap in place, and pry the cap off? Shouldn't be any oil loss, right?

Anyone know if there's any actual gain going with the extended caps?

· Registered
2019 XRS TURBO R MAX
61 Posts
Admittedly I'm not much of a shock expert. If I did this idea... It's basically release nitrogen pressure, remove a retaining ring that holds the stock cap in place, and pry the cap off? Shouldn't be any oil loss, right?

Anyone know if there's any actual gain going with the extended caps?
Yes that is correct. The important part is to drain all nitrogen from the shock first. Also the aluminum can be finniky to tap. I would also note to remove the shock from the car or at least let it extend fully before attempting

21 - 34 of 34 Posts