Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for a good turnout on this one! This is mostly for entertainment purposes :cool2:

I'll get the questions out of the way 1st.

Has anyone heard about performance changes in their next sport SxS? Is there next sport SxS even going to be called the Maverick? I heard from someone else their next machine wasn't going to be called the maverick and that's all that was said. I would figure this forum would have that information.

I'll start with the wish list:

- 6 Cylinder 250 HP / 0-60 4.5 seconds 0-110 in 7.5 seconds
- 2 WD, AWD and 4WD option
- Anti zombie bladed wheels, blow torch from exhaust, chainsaw instead on winch and gunners turret up top.

To be realistic, does anyone foresee 120 or more coming?

Thanks,
RiP

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
If they want to play the HP game….I see 110hp being the next magic number for someone to hit….

·
Registered
382 Posts
They need to catch up in the suspension department before Hp. They are now the least travel in the top 3 sport sxs's. I would like to see 18" front and rear.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Last year at the artic cat booth in glamis ( buddy was looking for a part for his) the rep there told me that all the mfgs signed an agreement that they would not go above 1000cc. He said every year when all the rumors are flying they're just laughing at the boards cause they know its not gonna go above 1000cc. Hence why that new helmet law defines a sxs as something under 1000cc. Don't know how true that is but I thought I'd share........hopefully they keep one upping each other for at least a few more years

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yea thats what I'm thinking to. Would like to see a factory turbo option but I think we all know that won't happen.
We never thought we would see them on snowmobiles either…..now we do! Also supercharged watercraft…..There is still plenty more power to extract out of these 1000cc motors before they need to go with bigger displacement or forced induction. But hey, I would take a knock off of the new Spyder engine…

NEW ROTAX® 1330 ACE™ HIGH-TORQUE ENGINE in-line 3 cylinders

115 hp (85.8 kW) @ 7250 RPM

96 lb-ft. (130.1 Nm) @ 5000 RPM

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think their next one will be low 120's
God I hope you are right!

Last year at the artic cat booth in glamis ( buddy was looking for a part for his) the rep there told me that all the mfgs signed an agreement that they would not go above 1000cc. He said every year when all the rumors are flying they're just laughing at the boards cause they know its not gonna go above 1000cc. Hence why that new helmet law defines a sxs as something under 1000cc. Don't know how true that is but I thought I'd share........hopefully they keep one upping each other for at least a few more years
That would be a real disappointment. And I wouldn't doubt that considering Polaris and Can Am have been snowmobile brothers since the dawn of time... But if they do have a 1000 cc agreement lets hope this does not pertain to HP increases. I want to pop a wheelie in the sand with the help of a bump or hill.

rumor is that Can Am has a big gathering in Glamis comming up this season. Maybe some news then, just to stomp on the XP1k release.
If you get out that way inquire please.

If they want to play the HP game….I see 110hp being the next magic number for someone to hit….
Yea thats what I'm thinking to. Would like to see a factory turbo option but I think we all know that won't happen.
So what you both are saying is Can Am will trump the new Polaris RZR XP1K by a hole whopping 2 HP... I really doubt that. I think Glamis is closer in theory... 110 HP "If anything" would make Can Am look bad.

They need to catch up in the suspension department before Hp. They are now the least travel in the top 3 sport sxs's. I would like to see 18" front and rear.
I disagree that they need to catch up with suspension vs HP category. They have the least amount of travel but their suspension is performing better than the Polaris's is. If anything they need to shame Polaris by putting some more money on the poker table. Show the people that you are willing to boost HP more than a few at a time like Polaris did going to their 1000 cc engine that barely added HP.

We never thought we would see them on snowmobiles either…..now we do! Also supercharged watercraft…..There is still plenty more power to extract out of these 1000cc motors before they need to go with bigger displacement or forced induction. But hey, I would take a knock off of the new Spyder engine…

NEW ROTAX® 1330 ACE™ HIGH-TORQUE ENGINE in-line 3 cylinders

115 hp (85.8 kW) @ 7250 RPM

96 lb-ft. (130.1 Nm) @ 5000 RPM
Precisely! Polaris did have a ver small HP gain IMO. I hope Can Am doesn't trump so small like Polaris did.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
yes 1000cc law is true , Polaris took it to 999cc's, lol

there is tones of room for HP in a 1000cc motor

Yamaha has a 1000cc its a (952cc) putting out 160hp in there water craft and 180 in there bike !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yamaha has a 1000cc its a (952cc) putting out 160hp in there water craft and 180 in there bike !
Well where the hell is Yamaha "And others" at?! Honda/Yamaha need a sport SxS! Screw contracts!

Cheers,
RiP

·
Registered
232 Posts

One of the Can Am engineers at last years event was telling us that it is a DOT thing. If they go above 1000cc it changes the classifiction of the vehicle and that would mean heavier frame material, other safety requirements (could you imagine and Airbag ??) and more EPA requirements. Did hint though that there might be some "for export only" in the future. I sure hope that the parts would be backwards compatable.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I thought Polaris did pretty good with a 19 hp increase over their 900 or are you talkng about the 6 hp increase over the Mav?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the Can Am engineers at last years event was telling us that it is a DOT thing. If they go above 1000cc it changes the classifiction of the vehicle and that would mean heavier frame material, other safety requirements (could you imagine and Airbag ??) and more EPA requirements. Did hint though that there might be some "for export only" in the future. I sure hope that the parts would be backwards compatable.
Man the DOT can suck my balls the dirty c... s...... They should have no say when it pertains to "Off-road" machines. There are tons of "Off-road" vehicles way above the 1000 cc category none of which have frigg'n airbags. As far as "Export Only" can you explain further?

I thought Polaris did pretty good with a 19 hp increase over their 900 or are you talkng about the 6 hp increase over the Mav?
I'm not impressed either way. I just wish I could buy a vehicle that had some 'huevos' for once. We need more competitors! Where you at Yamaha and Honda!

RiP

·
Registered
998 Posts
The ball is in can ams court .. They have the chance to go for the kill, whether they chose to who knows but a 120hp, 18" travel with a wheelbase between 90-95" would be sick for the west coast guys .. I'd like to see a breakthrough in transmission's .. I'd like to see a paddle shift type tranny

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ball is in can ams court .. They have the chance to go for the kill, whether they chose to who knows but a 120hp, 18" travel with a wheelbase between 90-95" would be sick for the west coast guys .. I'd like to see a breakthrough in transmission's .. I'd like to see a paddle shift type tranny
Yes they are up to bat. They need to up the HP a few notches 120-125 HP at least. I'd to would like to see a bit more travel and a wider wheelbase. The color options need to change... I honestly believe there are a lot of people that do not like yellow.

Than again people like speed. Speed sells! HP sells! Can Am needs to hit a home run on their next sport vehicle.

Cheers,
RiP

·
Vendor
6,221 Posts
I think from now on it's going to be refinements.
I think the next one will be in the 115hp area, maybe 120 if we're lucky. I think the seat will be lower and it will be a whole new platform, not a commanderish platform. I think the current Rotax will be long gone and replaced by something that has more build potential than the current engine. I like the Maverick suspension the best out of all of them and I pray they don't go to a trailing arm and I don't think they will. I think they'll tweak it. I don't expect it to go more than 14" of travel but if it does I don't see more than 16", they will have to revamp the entire rear suspension and make it wider....yeah the XP1K has 16/18 but it's not useable travel so it doesn't matter how much they have. I really hope the pull the rear diff back to get the axles straight and use a new hub design. I think width will stay the same because Can Am has more support with woods riders than Polaris hence the XXC model. I think the interior will still have that nice Can Am touch similar to what we have.
Last but not least I think they've finally got enough complaints over the years esp from the rock crawler and mud guys. I think a selectable front diff will be in order.

·
Registered
143 Posts
While it sucks to just have a few hp jump every 2-3 years, it makes sense. It gets more units sold since many of us upgrade each time. Also this way they can bump up the price a couple thousand each time and consumers don't mind as much. I mean, 5 years ago if we saw a factory machine cost 20k, everyone would have said wtf and thought it was crazy but now it isnt as big of a deal. We saw $13k then 16k then 18, then 20. In another 5 years we may hit the 30k mark.

I don't think we will see a new performance sxs out of can am for a while. Can am is pretty slow to release stuff and I think to REALLY trump the xp they may have more work than the maverick platform has in it. I mean, how much more power can they get out of the Rotax? It's already 1000ccs with High compression. They can't get much more travel without going wider either. I think they should have tried for the 16-18" of travel to begin with instead of just matching the xp900s travel.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts