Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I just bought a new 2020 Can-Am Maverick X3 X rs TURBO RR. We last had RZR's about 9 years ago and decided to get another toy so here we are.

I wanted to see if there was anything out of the gate we should know about this unit? We are picking it up either Friday or Monday not sure yet it just depends on our timing and schedules. We had them add the power windshield but as far as extras go that was it. Dealer was asking $27,699 and I was able to get them to knock a $1000 off plus the windshield.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

MJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have links to suggested parts you listed? I am sure some are better than others.

Bolt on gusset kit
remove rear wheel scrapers
trailing arm rock knockers
5 point harness
communication radio
s&b pre filter
the list can go for days

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
Do you have links to suggested parts you listed? I am sure some are better than others.
search this site with those questions and you will find answers. here is one I put together

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Congrats and welcome from NW Oregon!

As far as a windshield I would do research, if it's poly you probably will not like it at all. Prone scratching even though hard coated, they fog and collect dust easy so it make it very difficult to see. All of our group and many others tossed the poly. Only good ones are vented glass with wiper.

Yes the list and work can get long.
Easy to add an additional $10k-$20K in extras.

I would also add to the above list:
Shock Tower Brace
Fire Extinguisher and quick release mount.
Tool Kit
Extra Belts (learn how to put them on and take them off before riding)
Extra air filter, oil filter, oil
Light Bar or Additional light if you plan to ride at night
Back up lights
Winch is good depending on what you do
Front and Rear bumper guards.
Intercooler switch.
Door bags/storage box
More......much more!

Have fun and stay safe!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats and welcome from NW Oregon!

As far as a windshield I would do research, if it's poly you probably will not like it at all. Prone scratching even though hard coated, they fog and collect dust easy so it make it very difficult to see. All of our group and many others tossed the poly. Only good ones are vented glass with wiper.

Yes the list and work can get long.
Easy to add an additional $10k-$20K in extras.

I would also add to the above list:
Shock Tower Brace
Fire Extinguisher and quick release mount.
Tool Kit
Extra Belts (learn how to put them on and take them off before riding)
Extra air filter, oil filter, oil
Light Bar or Additional light if you plan to ride at night
Back up lights
Winch is good depending on what you do
Front and Rear bumper guards.
Intercooler switch.
Door bags/storage box
More......much more!

Have fun and stay safe!

Hello,

Thanks for the welcome and the list.

As for the windshield it is already bought and installed. It is the power flip windshield which they claim you can ride with it open some to let air in if wanted. Not sure if this is true or not but thats what they said. The list of things I know becomes endless, we aren't going into the desert or to the dunes riding in sand. We live in the midwest and we only plan on normal trail riding stuff. My days of bashing are over but I wanted the power this unit had. This list looks like it has a lot of good items on it so thank you again.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ, congrats. Lower a arms are needed, or at least a weld in brace. Also get yourself some extra belts, OEM from Rocky Mountain and learn how to change them out in your garage, so when you need to in the field, it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats I just got the same one delivered today.

After trying to back it into my shop twice today blind, I'm ordering mirrors as my first mod. Can't see anything out the back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I second Mega's suggestion. I've only used my belt change tool in my garage to date,,, but several in my group have used it out in the wild. They carry the OEM tool,,, but all ask to use my STV since it's a bit easier.

Belts always seem to go with the car at a precarious angle in the dunes :unsure:,,,, anything that makes the change easier is worth it IMO.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After trying to back it into my shop twice today blind, I'm ordering mirrors as my first mod. Can't see anything out the back.
Best mirrors I've found (for the money) are the Cuero Mirrors (see link). Best being mirror only,,, some of the ones with lights in them are VERY nice, but spendy.

The Cuero's come with mounts for either the A-pillar tube or the factory mirror mounting location at the roof level. If the Cuero's had convex mirrors in them, they would be perfect. You can still see plenty,,, just not as much as if they were convex. I had some Dragonfire's, but the inner convex mirror moving inside a fixed outer assy doesn't work well on the pass side of the X3. (not enough adjustment with the mirror to see well)

Cuero mirrors

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I second Mega's suggestion. I've only used my belt change tool in my garage to date,,, but several in my group have used it out in the wild. They carry the OEM tool,,, but all ask to use my STV since it's a bit easier.

Belts always seem to go with the car at a precarious angle in the dunes :unsure:,,,, anything that makes the change easier is worth it IMO.
Yup my last one gave out at night in the middle of the dunes... Held up the group however one did have an electric screw gun, another pulled out the tools and held the screws as two of us were working to get the cover/hoses off like a pit stop so it went pretty fast. I now have a Milwaukee ratchet with attachments however when I switch over to the STM clutch I'll have to take out the secondary bolt and use their separator tool which is a bolt that goes in it's place so I'll be carrying my small Milwaukee impact. I'll probably be running with the cover off in the dunes as well and hopefully won't be going through a belt every 150-200 miles.

Oh, to the OP @-=mjc=- get some scotchbrite pads to clean those sheaves between belt changes!

And yes carry a penny or two in your tools like in that video to put under that ridiculous what I call "drill bit" used as the bolt against the clutch that the separator tool uses.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll probably be running with the cover off in the dunes as well and hopefully won't be going through a belt every 150-200 miles.
I can't fathom going through belts at that pace.... That's a buck a mile! Nobody I roll with is going through them that fast,,, not even close. We'll go entire holiday weekends 250+ miles and nobody in the group will lose one (all belt covers in place). A RZR or two sure,,, but not many Can Am's. One of my buds lost one pretty quick in his over-loaded 4 seat XRS,, but we were tutoring a newb so he was lugging the crap out of it,,,, kinda understood that one.

I have seen one go in less than 5 minutes, but that was on an over-powered, over-loaded, over-paddled RZR4T that tried to climb something near China, in wet sand with ZERO time on a new belt. That was the worst,,, cutting cords out of the clutch, sideways, buried, three dudes hanging on the uphill side of the cage as we unloaded 2 adults and 3 kids form the car cause we were afraid it was gonna go..... Good times.:cautious:

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Ski Doo has belt, and similar setup. Never blown one. I have a spare for it and my new Maverick. I was wondering why the maverick has some strange special adapter tool though. my Ski Doo just has a special like hex wrench and thats it. Just a noob question I wondered about.

Edit: I wish they made a 2 stroke maverick. :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I can't fathom going through belts at that pace.... That's a buck a mile! Nobody I roll with is going through them that fast,,, not even close. We'll go entire holiday weekends 250+ miles and nobody in the group will lose one (all belt covers in place). A RZR or two sure,,, but not many Can Am's. One of my buds lost one pretty quick in his over-loaded 4 seat XRS,, but we were tutoring a newb so he was lugging the crap out of it,,,, kinda understood that one.

I have seen one go in less than 5 minutes, but that was on an over-powered, over-loaded, over-paddled RZR4T that tried to climb something near China, in wet sand with ZERO time on a new belt. That was the worst,,, cutting cords out of the clutch, sideways, buried, three dudes hanging on the uphill side of the cage as we unloaded 2 adults and 3 kids form the car cause we were afraid it was gonna go..... Good times.:cautious:
Pretty common for not only me but others to go through them fast out here in the Oregon dunes.
Mostly due to stress and not as much with heat.
Yes I am over paddled and with a heavy foot. :rolleyes:
I also never broke a belt in first. When one goes in the dunes and you put a new one on there's no way to really break one in properly. Now I have a couple where I broke them in on my dirt roads so I have a couple spares handy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also never broke a belt in first. When one goes in the dunes and you put a new one on there's no way to really break one in properly. Now I have a couple where I broke them in on my dirt roads so I have a couple spares handy.
Good call!! Brake-in does make a very big difference from what I've seen/read. Only reason I've changed a belt so far is to brake in a new one and have a "spare" with a couple hundred miles on it ready to go full bore as soon as I install it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good call!! Brake-in does make a very big difference from what I've seen/read. Only reason I've changed a belt so far is to brake in a new one and have a "spare" with a couple hundred miles on it ready to go full bore as soon as I install it.
Not a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts