Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on new wheels. Primary reasons are more stability, little more clearance, and durability. I live in North Idaho, so mostly mountain dirt roads and trails. I am looking at the tusk aramid terrabites in 28x10x14s all the way around mounted on tusk teton beadlocks, and I'm trying to decide if I should get the 4+3 offset all the way around, or get the 4+3 for the back and 5+2 in the front so they are the same width on the machine. If they are all 4+3 I could rotate them, but I don't know how much I would notice the fronts being wider.

Any thoughts on this setup? Will I have clutch issues with this size and weight of wheels? I have read every post I can find about MT wheels, but haven't seen anyone with the different offsets that I can remember. I'm not planning on a spare, so space for one is not a concern.

·
Registered
2018 CanAm Maverick X3
93 Posts
Most folks match all 4 to be able to rotate tires for wear and also to have a spare of the same size that can be put on any corner. 5/2 would likely be the best for a 28” tire as it keeps the scrub radius in an acceptable range for the front. Shock therapy has a tutorial on scrub radius that explains this.

·
Registered
2020 MavS Xrc
1,153 Posts
^^^ Agreed, although a same diameter spare with narrower width can also be used in the rear if needed, as my buddy and I carried on our former MavT cars.

OP, the thread topic below initiated my said buddy nearing 2.5 yrs ago addresses most of the aspects in this topic. In that, our choice was to maintain OEM 26" diameter tires on OEM 12" wheels (wider in rear). With that, the mounted but deflated spare fit flat on the covered cargo bed with gear bags stuffed in the wheel well and around the spare.

Increased stability was our primary objective plus 28" diameter tires only increases ground clearance by 1". If you haven't done so already, better to spend $$ on superior skid protection on the low-slung MavT. Mods we did with those cars greatly improved performance in our rough local terrain but we replaced both with 64" class MavS Xrc late last summer.

Stability - wider tires?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Most folks match all 4 to be able to rotate tires for wear and also to have a spare of the same size that can be put on any corner. 5/2 would likely be the best for a 28” tire as it keeps the scrub radius in an acceptable range for the front. Shock therapy has a tutorial on scrub radius that explains this.
I should have read that article before I bought wheels and tires lol. Good thing I only have the sport max, I have noticed it drives differently since I put the 4/3’s and 30’s but it doesn’t go fast enough to be a huge issue.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I just went with ITP hurricane wheels and STI chicane wheels in 28 inch. The wheels are 5+2, I have loved them. We ride north idaho, mostly silver valley. Shoot me a message sometime and we'll get together to ride. There's a poker run this weekend from the County Lane Inn if you are free Saturday...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went with ITP hurricane wheels and STI chicane wheels in 28 inch. The wheels are 5+2, I have loved them. We ride north idaho, mostly silver valley. Shoot me a message sometime and we'll get together to ride. There's a poker run this weekend from the County Lane Inn if you are free Saturday...
Thanks 1080Rider, I haven't done a poker run in a long time, but I'll be over in Libby Saturday at a bow shoot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the wheels faster than I thought I would, so swapped them out this afternoon. Here are some before and after pics. I also disconnected the front sway bar and took it for a run down the street. It is going to stay off permanently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts