Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that I wanted to do was upgrade the tires on my MT, I wanted to go to 27", wider and more substantial in terms of durability. I found an essentially brand new tire and rim set (used for two rides I was told) on Kijiji for less than 1/2 the cost of new. The guy I bought them from wasn't b.s.ing me, when I saw them they could pass for never used.
Tires are Kenda Bear Claw HTR, 27 x 9-12R front and 27 x 11-12R rear. The wheels are ITP HD Beadlock rims. Exactly the tire size I was looking for, the rims maybe not, not sure if I wanted beadlock rims but after seeing them in person I was happy to buy them. I am happy to be able to change tires at home when the time comes. Added bonus, the rims are 4 + 3 offset so no need for 1" spacers to clear the shocks, and the guy used balancing beads in each wheel.
Here are a some pictures, I will post more when I get the four of them installed.
Once installed I will measure the width, I estimate 54" back and 53" front, I wasn't planning to keep the 50" stock width of the machine.

If you notice that there are only 3 lug nuts installed in this picture, I took the Can Am lug to the shop were the other guy bought the rims from to compare with the STI recommended lug, which is a taper lug nut, same as the stock ones but smaller hex size. Probably will just use the stock lug nuts.

IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1720.jpg
IMG_1721.jpg
IMG_1716.jpg

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Its always interesting to see what other MavT owners choose and why. For me though, I wanted to carry a spare wheel/tire within the cargo trunk well, which allows a deflated 26" diameter tire but no more when pressed into place flat on the bed floor. I figured, 27" vs 26" only yields 1/2" greater ground clearance which IMO is relatively insignificant. As reported and shown here, I'm running similar width tires F/R but 26" diameter on OEM 12" wheels (requires 1" spacers rear with same optional but not mandatory front).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey DirtDawg, I have read your post on tires and wheels more than a few times, I had planned doing the same, keep front rims for 9" tires, buy two Can Am 7.5" wide rears for 10" - 11" wide rear tires and go with maximum 1" spacers. I think I got lucky finding this set and I will try them out. Any way - thanks for your well documented and thought out posts, theres a lot of great facts and ideas presented.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 Maverick Trail DPS 1000. I am having a number of accessories installed by the dealer, including a full cab, snow plow kit, and lights. I am expecting to pick it up in two days.

I purchased a new set of wheels and tires to improve traction in the snow for plowing, and for future trail use. Per Rocky Mountain ATV’s recommendation, I went with MSA M33 14” x 7” wheels for front and rear, and IPT Blackwater Evolution tires....28 x 14 x 9 in the front and 28 x 14 x 10 in the rear.

Rocky mountain told me the fitment would be fine without requiring spacers. I hope they are right! What do you guys think?

I will post photos of the Maverick and my installed accessories as soon as I take delivery.

I am very excited for my new UTV!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently purchased a 2019 Maverick Trail DPS 1000. I am having a number of accessories installed by the dealer, including a full cab, snow plow kit, and lights. I am expecting to pick it up in two days.

I purchased a new set of wheels and tires to improve traction in the snow for plowing, and for future trail use. Per Rocky Mountain ATV’s recommendation, I went with MSA M33 14” x 7” wheels for front and rear, and IPT Blackwater Evolution tires....28 x 14 x 9 in the front and 28 x 14 x 10 in the rear.

Rocky mountain told me the fitment would be fine without requiring spacers. I hope they are right! What do you guys think?

I will post photos of the Maverick and my installed accessories as soon as I take delivery.

I am very excited for my new UTV!
I think RM may be correct provided the wheels are 5" back space. Your only adding 1" width to the rear and essentially the same back space as the stock rim, so the tire should end up in theory 1/2" closer to the shock and on my stock setup the distance from the tire to the shock at the closest point is 1 1/2". You will know for sure when they are installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for your input....fingers crossed there won’t be fitment issues. Worse case I’ll get 1/2” spacers and new lugs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My MSA 33s and ITP Blackwater tires arrived. I went with the red center cap stars because my Maverick Trail is red.

Taking delivery of the Trail before Thanksgiving. Very excited.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great! How are the Kendas in the snow?
I am not sure how they are through snow, need about 4" - 6" before I can try that out. In what we have right now with the frozen ground - not that great. I suppose because the treads are such hard rubber. I have them inflated to 8 psi.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the new tires and rims affect the performance much ???
I don't really know, will have to wait until the spring now to see for sure. It seems to turn better, doesn't seem to track any different with the wider stance and I don't think that 1" larger in diameter will make much difference. It did seem to ride a bit rougher, but maybe I had a bit more air pressure than I need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts