Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Which bolt does what?

The one on the left looks to be the larger one for spreading the primary clutch.

The one on the right is your new primary bolt. The metal shims are for shimming the primary, but only if your using a stock secondary. You won't need them if installing a STM secondary. Torque is 60# for the primary, 30# for the secondary. (Probably should double check your instructions. Those torque values are for the Rage VI)

Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know man it's killing me, I went back in the box and overlooked these. Hopefully one of these is the right one.

If one of these is the right one please let me know. Any info on how to use them as well :)

One one the left is used to compress the STM secondary to remove the belt.

Bolt is your new secondary bolt and the fiber washers are for adjusting the belt tension. If you look down inside the secondary, there are probably a few more of these already installed. Even as thin as these are, removing a shim allows the secondary spring to close the sheeve halves closer together on compression (or idle),forcing the belt higher on the secondary. This tightens the belt.

Hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes. Use the STM bolt, not your OEM one. I use blue loctite on EVERYTHING. STM has some video's on their web site that helps with understanding how to change weights, remove and install arms, lapping it to the crank, ext.

You will need a primary removal tool to get the primary off. And they can be a bugger to get off. Even my big 1/2" air impact wouldn't budge it. The tool works by bottoming out on the crank and pushing the inner sheave off the tapered crank. I found a trick thought that works well. Remove the OEM bolt and fill the hole in the crank with bearing grease. Apply teflon plumbers tape to the threads of the removal tool. Now when you run the removal tool down, not only does it push out on the sheave, but it compresses the grease and makes it push even harder. I worked for several hours trying to get the clutch off. Did the grease trick and it popped right off. Just use some brake cleaner to remove all the excess grease so your locktite will work correctly.

It seems intimidating at first, but after you tinker with it for a while you'll get more comfortable with it!

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts