Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New stuff arrived for my new toy, but have a question. How do I remove my factory primary? I didn't get any instructions, got two diffirent bolts and I'm curious which one I use and how to use it. I've removed secondarys and changed out helixes on xp's before and installed adjustible weights. But I've never removed the primary completely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nathan

Which bolt does what?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The bolt with the big spacer is used to open your secondary so you can get your belt on. So my guess is the other bolt with the washers is for your primary

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
you need to buy a primary removal tool. The ones pictured are the secondary belt removal tool and mounting bolt.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, I bought one of them too. I guess it may be coming from a seperate place.

Appreciate your help guys,
Nathan

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hang on to your hat once you have them installed. It's a whole new ride with upgraded clutches.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know man it's killing me, I went back in the box and overlooked these. Hopefully one of these is the right one.

If one of these is the right one please let me know. Any info on how to use them as well :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Those are the STM bolts and shims. So the other ones must be for your primary.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only video I've found on primary removal on a can am is with a 1000 outlander and he had a oem primary removal bolt. It didn't look like anything I've got. If anyone has used any of the bolts I've got in these pics please let me know how it's done:)

Thanks guys,
Nathan

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
who did you buy the clutches from? Ask them…..I will bet you that they say you will need a primary removal tool though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
who did you buy the clutches from? Ask them…..I will bet you that they say you will need a primary removal tool though.
I got everything from Kris, at cold blooded performance. I bought the clutch removal tool from him and he got the STM stuff sent from STM. I sent him a message asking about it earlier, hopefully I'll hear from him before long.

Nathan

·
Registered
964 Posts
You will need a Can Am primary puller to get your stock primary off. No way around that. The other bolts you have are for the secondary and primary, the one with the white plastic thing is used to spread the STM secondary to put the belt on or off.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will need a Can Am primary puller to get your stock primary off. No way around that. The other bolts you have are for the secondary and primary, the one with the white plastic thing is used to spread the STM secondary to put the belt on or off.
I'm assuming and hopeing that, that's what I bought from Kris. But it hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it'll be here tomorrow if he sent it usps.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I got everything from Kris, at cold blooded performance. I bought the clutch removal tool from him and he got the STM stuff sent from STM. I sent him a message asking about it earlier, hopefully I'll hear from him before long.

Nathan
Kris will take care of you. I bet he shipped it separately and you just haven't received it yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Which bolt does what?

The one on the left looks to be the larger one for spreading the primary clutch.

The one on the right is your new primary bolt. The metal shims are for shimming the primary, but only if your using a stock secondary. You won't need them if installing a STM secondary. Torque is 60# for the primary, 30# for the secondary. (Probably should double check your instructions. Those torque values are for the Rage VI)

Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know man it's killing me, I went back in the box and overlooked these. Hopefully one of these is the right one.

If one of these is the right one please let me know. Any info on how to use them as well :)

One one the left is used to compress the STM secondary to remove the belt.

Bolt is your new secondary bolt and the fiber washers are for adjusting the belt tension. If you look down inside the secondary, there are probably a few more of these already installed. Even as thin as these are, removing a shim allows the secondary spring to close the sheeve halves closer together on compression (or idle),forcing the belt higher on the secondary. This tightens the belt.

Hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which bolt does what?

The one on the left looks to be the larger one for spreading the primary clutch.

The one on the right is your new primary bolt. The metal shims are for shimming the primary, but only if your using a stock secondary. You won't need them if installing a STM secondary. Torque is 60# for the primary, 30# for the secondary. (Probably should double check your instructions. Those torque values are for the Rage VI)

Matt[/QUOTE]

Thanks Matt, when I install my new primary I'll use the bolt on the left to spread it to take weights out and bolt on right to install and not the oem bolt correct. Only thing instruction wise that came with it was talking about changeing weights on primary. So any help is at all is definitely wanted.

Thanks again,
Nathan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes. Use the STM bolt, not your OEM one. I use blue loctite on EVERYTHING. STM has some video's on their web site that helps with understanding how to change weights, remove and install arms, lapping it to the crank, ext.

You will need a primary removal tool to get the primary off. And they can be a bugger to get off. Even my big 1/2" air impact wouldn't budge it. The tool works by bottoming out on the crank and pushing the inner sheave off the tapered crank. I found a trick thought that works well. Remove the OEM bolt and fill the hole in the crank with bearing grease. Apply teflon plumbers tape to the threads of the removal tool. Now when you run the removal tool down, not only does it push out on the sheave, but it compresses the grease and makes it push even harder. I worked for several hours trying to get the clutch off. Did the grease trick and it popped right off. Just use some brake cleaner to remove all the excess grease so your locktite will work correctly.

It seems intimidating at first, but after you tinker with it for a while you'll get more comfortable with it!

Matt

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright now I'm waiting on that darn primary puller :) y'all don't laugh at all my clamps on the header wrap. That stuff doesn't go near as far as you'd think.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
:haha::haha::haha: look at all those clamps.
You must have cut your wrap material way way too short.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I knew I was gonna get some ribbing over it, got a hold of Kris and he's sending my puller out Monday. Told him I couldn't ride it if I had it, I've got satv p.s. to put on plus my pro armor doors. Working 6-7 days a week and 3 kids it'll take me awhile to put that stuff on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts