Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yours should be the Denso. The second run had the bad ones. You just got yours so I bet it's the Denso. You can see it if you take the console top off.
i think mine was a first run and it has the cheap starter in it,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well.... I am part of the bad starter group.... Around 200 miles and 12 hours on the Maverick. Luckily I was with friends and got a 13 mile tow back to the truck. Mine has allways started slowly and it appears I have the "shiny" smaller unit as pictured in this thread.
When trying to get it going I got it hot enough to let out a pretty good amout of smoke.... Damn it!!

Also, do any of you know if there is a different part number for the prefered starter?
Thanks,
Vance

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mine took a shit yesterday. Got me back to camp Friday night and wouldn't start for the morning ride.

The Pile-aris guys in the group were having a field day with me!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Haha CrazyCooter I know that feeling, I was pulled back by a poo laris for the same fn thing, pisses me off though Can Am should be recalling those with that shit starter as somebody going to get into a shitty situation not being able to be towed back laying face down in a desert or their ass froze.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
When they are replacing these under warranty, are they putting back in the same ones or the bigger denso?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
the only replacement starter is the new style denso , the old shiny china starters r no longer available for them !

Reactions: CrazyCooter

·
Registered
34 Posts
the only replacement starter is the new style denso , the old shiny china starters r no longer available for them !
Thank goodness...!!! Yes, as a few folks said about being stranded, , it was a good thing I was with friends...

I'll let you know how my dealer treats me through this process.....!

Thanks,
Vance

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would suggest to anyone with the cheap o starter to get it swapped out while still under warranty. Can am knows they suck and won't deny it. Might as well not risk getting stranded. It's the second production run that had those bad starters, anything after about 1800 vin should be ok.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I would suggest to anyone with the cheap o starter to get it swapped out while still under warranty. Can am knows they suck and won't deny it. Might as well not risk getting stranded. It's the second production run that had those bad starters, anything after about 1800 vin should be ok.
UUgh! My last 4 VIN numbers are 0897. It's always cranked good though. I may have to try and take a peak to see what starter is in there. I've got it stripped down pretty good right now to tape wrap the exhaust so maybe I can see it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't have vin specifics. Your might be fine. The only way to know is to look at it. My vin is in the 1700 range and my friends have two mavericks in the 1900 range and they have Denso starters. What I was told is the first and third production runs had denso and the middle or second run had the Harbor Freight special starter.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Thank goodness...!!! Yes, as a few folks said about being stranded, , it was a good thing I was with friends...

I'll let you know how my dealer treats me through this process.....!

Thanks,
Vance
as long as the starter is dead your fine , if its intermittent there not covering it because tons of peeps were trying to get a new starter when they heard about this problem saying there problem only happen sometimes , and brp was getting a lot of starters back that were still good but the dealer warrantied them out saying there bad, so brp cracked down , there only replaceing DEAD ones ! so ur good

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
my vin is 0052 with a shiny crapper , still going tho

·
Registered
34 Posts
as long as the starter is dead your fine , if its intermittent there not covering it because tons of peeps were trying to get a new starter when they heard about this problem saying there problem only happen sometimes , and brp was getting a lot of starters back that were still good but the dealer warrantied them out saying there bad, so brp cracked down , there only replaceing DEAD ones ! so ur good
Oh it's dead....!! When you hit the starter button you can hear a click near the battery and that's it. The smoke show was pretty impressive tho...!!!

Thanks for the input folks!!!

Vance

·
Registered
3 Posts
amen replace it that would make for a crappy day for it to blow out in the far back of the trails or while your racing someone

·
Registered
492 Posts
Glad mine died AFTER I made it home.

Sucks though that the availability isn't till the 17th of the month..... Supposed to leave that afternoon on a trip.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What brand should we replace it with ???

21 - 40 of 44 Posts