Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a victim of the cheap starter. When my mav has been riden for over an hour straight the starter cranks really slow. Talk to the dealer and they said that there is a bad run of starters. Some have been DOA out of the crate. They ordered me a new starter. My concern is that they said they have to pull both clutches to be able to remove the rear clutch cover to gain acess to the starter bolts. If this is the case i am really nervious about this procedure withh all of the horror stories going on about the clutches my vin is high enough so all recalls have been addressed. Am i just over thinking this or what? please advise

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Well, I dont think you really have much of a choice do you? You should be fine.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It will be fine if you don't get a moron tech it's child's play. Really. No biggie get them to mark it for slipping while got it apart.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I heard there one time use bolts to ,

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
964 Posts
I was looking at the commander vs maverick parts diagram the length is longer on the maverick probably to accomodate the extra washers and the rear one they replace because the thread lock patch makes it a one time use. Usually a torque to yield bolt needs to be replaced that is a bolt that you torque to a set torque and then tighten an additional degree of rotation after. Like 39 ft lbs and 90 degrees after. Even at that you only replace the bolt if it shows stretching. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to change it, I just want confirmation from Can Am. What is the torque 90ft lbs ?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Replace it.. It is a torque to yield...period..save yourself a headache...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Old one on the right new one on left? Mine is like The one on the right. The shiny one. What did yours act like before it went out?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you have to take the clutches out to change the starter?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
The one on the left is the Denso which is physically bigger around In the center section. As far as weight I would say the no name one on the right is a little lighter. Can Am knows they have those bad starters out there but aren't recalling them yet. I suspect they will eventually as more fail. It would be good on their part if they did. Being stranded could leave a person in a bad situation.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yours should be the Denso. The second run had the bad ones. You just got yours so I bet it's the Denso. You can see it if you take the console top off.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts