Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed airdams seco:disappointed:ndary spring and lost 9 mph. It's hitting 8000 and staying but I dont think it's shitfting out. It's hiting 66 mph and holding. FML!!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Isn't this your second one? If so, how many times are you going to try that until you decide to get the STM secondary?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I want to know how a guy with a stock clutched maverick got 2 in the Baja 500 and everybody on here has aftermarket Primary's and sec and can't get them tuned right and has all kinds of trouble with there stock clutchs I wish that guy would post on here what he did to his stock clutchs to make them work.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My stock clutch has not had any problems, however I ordered the QSC/STM because I didn't want to wait until something did happen. It s like insurance.

Reactions: mojosxs

·
Registered
964 Posts
Winding up the secondary doesn't fix the RPM problem really, it just raised the RPM and holds the shift out longer. If it is too tight you will lose speed. I hate to say it but I would never have used that spring. You should tune the primary for RPM, I took my primary spring out and it was about 3/16" shorter than a stock one. The secondary spring is the same as the new one. I think the primary spring is causing issues myself. You really shouldn't try to gain RPM by winding up or using a stiff secondary spring. It isn't the right way to clutch stuff. If all you want to see is 8000 on the tach tighten it up, it acts like its in low gear longer. No, I don't own a shop but I've had a lot of snowmobiles over the years and have tuned the clutches a lot.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't this your second one? If so, how many times are you going to try that until you decide to get the STM secondary?
No!!! Get some facts straight before you run that mouth. This is my first try at trying to get full rpm back during upshift. I have a Stock primary with stock secondary. Just installed the airdam secondary spring due to the fact that it used to shift out at 53 and hold 7750 rpm and then raise to 8000rpm. Now it shifts out at 53 and drops to 7050 rpm, soooo I installed airdam's spring. Now it just seems like it is wrapping the hell out without upshifting. Glamis, I was pretty positive I indexed it right. It was kinda hard due to the fact that this spring is stiff as shit, lol.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Winding up the secondary doesn't fix the RPM problem really, it just raised the RPM and holds the shift out longer. If it is too tight you will lose speed. I hate to say it but I would never have used that spring. You should tune the primary for RPM, I took my primary spring out and it was about 3/16" shorter than a stock one. The secondary spring is the same as the new one. I think the primary spring is causing issues myself. You really shouldn't try to gain RPM by winding up or using a stiff secondary spring. It isn't the right way to clutch stuff. If all you want to see is 8000 on the tach tighten it up, it acts like its in low gear longer. No, I don't own a shop but I've had a lot of snowmobiles over the years and have tuned the clutches a lot.
I agree with you 100%. If I had known that this is all it was going to do, I wouldn't have changed it. I was just trying to get it to run the way it did when it was new.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I beg to differ, I think the secondary spring is the problem on some stock mavericks. Before a spring change mine would hit the optimal rpm's and then the soft secondary spring was causing my shift out to early and dragging my rpms down way too much, I still see a slight drop in rpm so I feel mine is just about as good as its going to get with the factory clutch. Jsmith, I would take the secondary back off and and re install the spring and make sure its indexed right, this spring is just a little stiffer than stock, I've talked to the murrays and kyle chaney and before they had qsc/stm, stm/stm setups they run factory clutch with arp bolts and the same spring we have. Can am spec'd a softer spring so the rpms would be lower around 50-55 mph for fuel mileage, but some springs are way out of whack.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Use the screw that spreads the secondary for a belt change to make sure that the secondary will open all the way. I think that is the easiest way to check that it's indexed right.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It opened all the way whenever I reinstalled my belt.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Mine feels slower on top end to now, and my clutches are acting up again even with the new airdam spring. When I pin the throttle it'll hit 7300 and then maybe go to 7600. I'm taking mine to the dealer so the can measure/gauge the clutches and see what canam is gonna do. There's no way canam woulda used my machine in the dunes when they were shooting those vids when it came out, it would never climb those dunes or won them races the way it runs.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was hoping to get answers to my problem, not disappointed with more issues. FML

·
Registered
9 Posts
My maverick is the same as yours. a stock xp 4 seater with 3 guys in it pulls away .... gonna order up the qsc/stm setup. Anyone running this setup have feedback about it ?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My maverick is the same as yours. a stock xp 4 seater with 3 guys in it pulls away .... gonna order up the qsc/stm setup. Anyone running this setup have feedback about it ?
I loved the clutching on my xp, none of this bs. That sucks when u get bet on something that's supposed to be unbeatable stock!! Like I said before, I wouldn't wanna race even a commander or an 800 rzr. This is my 6th canam and I never had clutch issues with the other ones. This mav is not the 101hp I was hoping for, and its all probably clutching!!

But what could be the problem with are clutches compared to the ones that are fine, I wonder what the differences are..

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
But what could be the problem with are clutches compared to the ones that are fine, I wonder what the differences are..
I was wondering exactly the same thing. I didn't have any of these problems with my clutch but I wasn't going wait around til they did happen. So I just bit the bullet and ordered the QSC/STM setup. I will be pissed if it doesn't perform as advertised. But if it does, the cost will be well worth the performance and peace of mind.

Reactions: st222
1 - 20 of 61 Posts